Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Re: Liam Andrews?

Post by Currie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:46 am

Here are some odds and ends.

Weekly Irish Times, Dublin, 05 Apr 1924
DEATHS.
ANDREWS—March 21, 1924, at her brother’s residence, 12 Johnstone st., Ladywood, Birmingham, Annie Andrews, wife of John Andrews, Pawnbroker, of 4 Ardee st., also 20 St. Margaret’s tce., South Circular rd., Dublin. Deeply mourned by her sisters and brothers. R.I.P.

MOUNT JEROME CEMETERY, DUBLIN PART XIII No.1932
http://www.igp-web.com/igparchives/ire/ ... rome13.txt

The Irish Times, Dublin, 16 Nov 1939:
DEATHS.
ANDREWS—November 13, 1939, William Nathaniel, at 65 Frankfort avenue, Rathgar, Dublin, eldest son of the late Arthur Andrews, and dearly-loved husband of Francis Elizabeth Andrews. Funeral (strictly private) to Mount Jerome to-morrow (Wednesday). No flowers. “Forever with the Lord.”

The Irish Times, Dublin, 16 Nov 1939:
FUNERAL
MR. WILLIAM N. ANDREWS
The funeral took place yesterday to Mount Jerome Cemetery of Mr. William N. Andrews, of 65 Frankfort avenue, Rathgar. The Very Rev. R. K. Hanna, D.D., officiated at the graveside.
The chief mourners were:—Mr. J. J. Andrews and Mr. A. G. Andrews (sons); Messrs J. H. Cathcart, D. M. Cathcart, J. C. Cathcart, G. M. Cathcart and A. V. Cathcart (brothers in law); A. J [Cathcart, and A. V. Cathcart (brothers-in-law). A. J.] Cathcart, J. T. Cathcart, Donald Cathcart, S. Merrin, and F. Cowle (nephews).
The Greystones Rover Crew were represented by Messrs. R. Mitchell, R. McCarthy, and W. Lehane; Irish Shell, Ltd., by H. C. Blee, D. McColl, A. J. Purton, F. Fahy, P. J. Byrne, L. O’Carroll, G. J. O’Connor, and W. Noble; and the Finian Lawlor Pipe Band by Mr. T. Keogh.
Also present were:—Messrs. D. Craig, Duncan Cathcart, E. Bain, G. P. Kelso, A. Sharkey, D. Allen, J. Milton, and J. Potts.

(I think that’s about right although it’s a bit fuzzy in spots. The bit I’ve put in square brackets looks like a duplicated line.)

In 1940 and 1949 J. J. Andrews was still at the Frankfort Ave address and showing and selling English Springer Spaniels. In 1961 he got engaged to be married. Arthur married 1943, at Rathmines, Elizabeth Olivia White. J. J. was best man.

Hope that helps,
Alan

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Hello again Alan.
Thanks for the extra info about Ann/Anne/Annie! - who was of course my ggrandmother.
I had a feeling that there must be other members of the family, but all my Dad's notes said was that 'several other children died of scarlet fever.' I had found one probable sister Alicia in Dublin.

And the other bits about Liam are great too. It confirms that his wife was Frances Cathcart, which I wasn't sure of.
- Thanks again - Alison
Researching:
LITTLE - Scotland, Lancashire, Dublin and South Africa. And Canada.
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland
ANDREWS, MEMERY, DOWSE and BIRMINGHAM - Dublin
PRICE, JACKSON, ROGERS, ALLEN - N. Wales

littlealison

Re: Liam Andrews? a PS

Post by littlealison » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi again Alan. I'd really like to search that Mt Jerome Cemetery site but I have lost the keys to use to search! (Ctrl + what?) I just can't find them again.
John Little's stepmother Janet Hamilton Ritchie Little died in Dublin in 1881 and this is, I think, the most likely place for her to be. Also several of his children....and one of Ritchie's.
Thanks for help again - Alison.
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:04 pm

(Ctrl + what?)
Did you mean <ctrl + F> - easy to remember if you think of F for FIND?

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Thank you, LesleyB. Still searching, don't think it is Mt Jerome though.
Victor - did you get my email? - Alison
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

victoredmonds

Post by victoredmonds » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Alison,

Recieved your info thank you very much, I've copied it to my friend in New Zealand

I'm still searching for more details about Arthur as he is in my Band history. If I find anything else you will be the second to know!

Regards and thanks from The Emerald Isle.......as Barak said " Is feidir linn!" (yes we can)

victoredmonds

Post by victoredmonds » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi, Alison
Have found Mount Jerome details of Liam Andrews grave.

Mount Jerome part XIII grave no: 1932

" In loving memory of William Nathaniel Andrews died 13/11/1939 aged 66, his wife Francis Elizabeth Andrews died 1/7/1957 aged 86.
The Lord is my Shepherd
also their eldest son John James Andrews, loving husband of Rachel and father of Sharon and Joy called home suddenly 26/12/1978
Redeemed by the precious blood of Christ"

I will visit the graveyard and search for this grave.

"Is feider linn!"

Victor

marybayfield

Post by marybayfield » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 am

My name is mary bayfield and my father was arthur andrews. My husband and myself and two children moved over to
Wiltshire in 1983 and my mother and father (betty and arthur) joined us here the following year. Dad died in 1990 and mother died in 2004. I have two brothers John William Martin Andrews who still lives in Ireland and Arthur Hugh who lives in Germany. We have tried tracing our Grandfathers family back but we are unable to get any further than my great grandparents and we are not sure whether he was born in Ireland or Scotland and where or when the Scottish connections
arose. I have some photographs of my grandparents which I could let you have copies of if you would like them.

Dad had a brother John James who was married to a lady called Ray and had two children Sharon and Joy, my parents lost contact with John's wife who is now dead and we are trying to find his two daughters.

I hope this information is of some use to you and I would love to hear from you. Regards Mary

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello Mary and welcome to [talkingscot]

We are always delighted when a new member can establish contact with a living relative. :D :D I hope you can establish contact soon.
You are straying unto areas where some of your shared relatives may still be alive and certainly their children will be. When you make contact it might be best to use our Personal Message (PM) system to keep names and dates confidential. The PM button on the right of a users post opens up the system.
Can I refer you to viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6601 which gives guidelines on our cut-off dates which prevent more recent dates being shown on what is a world wide public forum.
Hope littlealison gets in touch soon. You could PM her yourself.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:42 pm

I have PM'd you with my email address.
You must be the daughter of Arthur George born in 1910? I probably have some info for you then.
Back to about 1838 for definite....a bit hazy before that still.............
Hopefully we can exchange - regards, Alison
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland