Dougan .....

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

IanS

Dougan .....

Post by IanS » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:56 pm

Alcluith wrote:Steven,

Do you have the birth certificate of John born 15.06.1865 or his marriage cert to Mary Ward?

In 1881 census there is a John Dougan but his father is William both are coalminers.
If this is his proper birthdate, you should be able to get a copy of his birth cert from Ireland.

Secondly, there are loads of James Dougans in G.V. inc all spelling variations, and quite a few in Co.Down. Funnily enough , there are no Ivors, Evors (or spelling variations that I can find) in Co.Down, but there are entries for this surname in neighbouring counties.

They could have been living Antrim or Armagh, but the nearest Civil Reg. town may have been in Co.Down. My own children were reg. in a different county from where they were born.

If you don't want to send for Johns birth cert. in case you are not sure of his birthdate, send for his sisters. It will give a placename or address, district, Union, and County. The County of Down, you already have from I.G.I.

This will narrow down places to look on G.V. We could be looking at a place just over the County down border. I will cross ref. and see if there is anywhere obvious later on tonight.

Or perhaps the whole family were on the move when his sister was born. :( Or perhaps mum was only visiting Down when she met and married James

With any luck, someone might find them on the 1871 Scottish Census.

You aren't stuck yet.

post edited by AG member to show the quote correctly......

sporran

Re: Dougans

Post by sporran » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:46 pm

Hello Steven,

this thread is moving around like Irish tinkers!

Mary Ward (widow, but no mention of Dougan) married Thomas Gribbon in 1888, which narrows down John's death considerably. Despite trying every wildcard that I could think of, I have not found his death. Perhaps he died in another country, or he is indexed under a really weird name, and only a search through the New Monkland annual death indexes at NRH will find him.

Gribb?n will find them in censuses: they did not move far and Mary was accurate about her age.

The only John Dougan or Duggan born in Scotland during 1865 was not your man.

Regards,

John

Steven Dougan

gribbon

Post by Steven Dougan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi John,

you were right about Gribbon, Mary ward did remarry to a Thomas Gribbon, though I did not know when. Are you sure that it was 1888, if so that will definately narrow my search down considerably.

Steven
"A man´s a man fer aw that"
looking for Dougan,Irish Scottish connection,
Tracey,Finnie,Simpson,Ward,Anderson,Mitchell, Currie

Steven Dougan

Date of Birth

Post by Steven Dougan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:23 pm

Hi Ian,

I have the Marriage cert. for John Dougan and Mary Ward, that´s how I know that his Parents were James Dougan and Maray Evers/Evens. James was dead when they got married.

I cannot remember for the lif of me where I got that date of birth though. I have been working too much the past year and did not manage to continue my research untill lately. I normally have copies of all my results, but that Date of Birth is only written by my handwriting on the brief sketch of my Family Tree.

Steven

marie

Dougans

Post by marie » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:16 pm

Steven - I replied to your other post looking for others searching for Dougans.
I too have a Dougan who married an Evers. However, this was around 1900. My Dougans came from Leitrim and the Evers from Longford.
Both names have lots of spelling varieties. We can compare notes offline.

Marie
Researching Muldownie/Muldowney Shields Hearty Ellwood Telfer Munn Dougan Tomeny Eivers O'Hagan

Steven Dougan

Post by Steven Dougan » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:52 pm

Hi Marie,

I replied on my other post.
Thank you

Steven

rdem

Post by rdem » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:37 am

I have a great great grandmother Eliza Dougan married to Patrick O'Donnell She was the daughter of James Dougan and Eliza Moor.
Eliza and Patrick were married in the Gorbals in 1856. She was 25 at the time.
Dempsey, Bon(n)ar, Brown, O'Donnell (2), Morgan, McDonald, McNeillis, Graham, Moor, Gallocher, Donnelly, Dougan.
Hampton, Stewart (2), Wilson (2), Main, Thomson, MacPherson, Thaw, Watson, Barclay, Kinloch, Brand (2) Murray, Harper. Edward(s) Nicol

Steven Dougan

James Dougan

Post by Steven Dougan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:08 pm

Hi rdem,

do you have anymore details of James Dougan?

Emmakerris

Re: Dougan .....

Post by Emmakerris » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 pm

I have John duggan born 1864 and marry's Mary ward. He must have passed away in the 3 years. Then she married Thomas gibbon. I have the census records also for the gibbons and John duggans name was changed to gibbon when he was young. Hope this helps some people and anyone who wants these copies let me know. Emma