Hyndman/McMullen

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

bballj56

Hyndman/McMullen

Post by bballj56 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:15 pm

I have been researching my Hyndman family for the past few years. My grandmother always said we were Scotch/Irish through the Hyndman family. I had an uncle who researched the family, he believed we are related to the Hyndman family of Springtide. The family was originally of Lunderstown in Renfrewshire. I have not been able to get my hands on my uncle's research and have been trying to find proof of my Hyndman family in Scotland. My great grandfather was Mathew Shaw Hyndman born in Antrim, Ireland in 1829. His parents were Robert Hyndman and Martha McMullen Hyndman, both born 1795,( we think). Through DNA testing we have been able to prove that our Hyndman family line came through one of the Hyndman's who left Scotland and moved to Ireland to live in "the Plantation" area's of Ireland. My grandfather's name was Malcolm Hyndman. I know Malcolm is a Scottish name. I am really stuck in my research. I am traveling to Scotland the end of July for 2 weeks and am hoping to be able to visit the areas where my family is from. I would appreciate any help I can get to move my research forward.
Thanks,
Jane Hyndman Klein

LesleyB

Re: Hyndman/McMullen

Post by LesleyB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi Jane
And welcome to Talking Scot :D
Have you been able to trace any of your family who lived in Scotkand through any of the census years? Or have you searched for any births, marriages or deaths that you know occurred in Scotland?

You can search online for some of this information on web sites such as Ancestry (census indexes, subscription required or you may be able to access through a library or a family history society's membership), freecen (some complete years of free transcribed census data), the Family Search web site (for births and marriages - free) or the Scotlands People site (pay-per -view copies of original records of births, marriages and deaths and also the only source of the original census images for Scotland 1841 - 1911)

http://www.ancestry.co.uk
http://www.freecen.org.uk
http://www.familysearch.org
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

If you can tell us where you have looked already and give us a few dates, places and names to work with, I'm sure we will be able to make some suggestions to point you in the right direction. e.g. when do you think your family were in Renfrewshire? Was your grandfather born in Scotland? Do you know which generation left Scotland, roughly when they left and do you have any names for those who travelled?

This site https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Hyndman seems to suggest that the Renfrewshire connection may be a long time ago:
In Scotland the family of Hyndman of Springtide was originally of Lunderstown in Renfrewshire, which they possessed during the reign of James V (1513 - 1542).
If your research has ground to halt in the 1600s then that is already much further back than most of us manage to reach. How far back have you managed to trace with certainty, working back generation by generation from those that you know for certain are your ancestors?

Best wishes
Lesley

p.s. This looks to be someone searching for the same family name, so maybe a distant relative?
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 5930859-01

bballj56

Post by bballj56 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi, Lesley,
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have been in contact with my Hyndman/Hindman cousins that are also researching the family to see if they have any new information to add to my search. Unfortunately, we are all stuck at the same place. We think the Hindman/Hyndman family were 'anciently seated" in county Lanark, Scotland, a branch having moved into Northumberland County. In the time of the "Ulster Plantations" three Hyndman brothers went over to Ireland from Scotland. One settled in County Antrim at Carrickfergus, one at Derry(Londonderry) and one in County Down at Hollywood. They went to Ireland in the time of James I. From what I have found the brothers were named; James, John & (I'll have to find my research to send you the 3rd name.)
I realize my chance of finding this Hyndman family in Scotland is small if I can't find the correct family in Ireland. I appreciate any suggestions you can give me. Also, I'm trying to find out where Lunderstown and Springside may have been located. I have been searching for old maps on the internet to find their location, but haven't been able to locate the area. I will be in Scotland from July 26 till Aug. 7 and would like to visit the area. Thank you for taking the time to read this note and for any help you can give me.
Jane Hyndman Klein

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue May 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Lunderston is in the Inverclyde area of Renfrewshire.

Lunderston Bay is between the towns or Gourock and Inverkip,
It was mentioned on maps as far back as Roy's in the 1750's.

Lunderston House is near the coast and is up for rent - http://search.savills.com/property-detail/uk003910440
High Lunderston Farm is further inland.

Perhaps there's a history of the Ardgowan Estate that will help you?
Wilma

bballj56

Post by bballj56 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:07 am

Thanks for the information. I'll check out the history of the Ardgowan Estate. Thank you for telling me the location of Lunderston.
Jane Hyndman Klein

hhyndman

Post by hhyndman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:40 pm

I would be interested to hear about your findings concerning Hyndman and Lunderston. A Henry Hyndman (and family) came to Canada from Ayrshire (through England) and settled in Ontario -- built their first estate and named it Lunderston after the family estate in Scotland.

See article: http://goo.gl/RgrNxE (from Google Books)

I will be in Scotland hiking at the beginning of October and would be happy to help out in your (my) research. I also have an extensive family tree that might help you.

Hugh Hyndman

bballj56

Post by bballj56 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi, Hugh,
Sorry I didn't reply to this message earlier. I was in Scotland from July 28th to Aug 13th. I just received a notice from the Talking Scot with your other message today.
My Hyndman family also lived In Canada. They left Northern Ireland in 1855 and settled in Owen Sound, ON. My grgrandfather, Mathew Shaw Hyndman, married then moved to Iowa in 1871, along with 2 of his brother's. One of his sister's married Malcolm Macgregor and remained in Owen Sound the rest of her life. My sister and I traveled to Owen Sound, ON in July to meet family and continue our research, before I headed to Scotland on July 28th.
I would love to see your family tree and see if we can uncover a Hyndman connection.
Jane Hyndman Klein

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 pm

bballj56 wrote:I have been researching my Hyndman family for the past few years. My grandmother always said we were Scotch/Irish through the Hyndman family. I had an uncle who researched the family, he believed we are related to the Hyndman family of Springtide. The family was originally of Lunderstown in Renfrewshire. I have not been able to get my hands on my uncle's research and have been trying to find proof of my Hyndman family in Scotland. My great grandfather was Mathew Shaw Hyndman born in Antrim, Ireland in 1829. His parents were Robert Hyndman and Martha McMullen Hyndman, both born 1795,( we think). Through DNA testing we have been able to prove that our Hyndman family line came through one of the Hyndman's who left Scotland and moved to Ireland to live in "the Plantation" area's of Ireland. My grandfather's name was Malcolm Hyndman. I know Malcolm is a Scottish name. I am really stuck in my research. I am traveling to Scotland the end of July for 2 weeks and am hoping to be able to visit the areas where my family is from. I would appreciate any help I can get to move my research forward.
Thanks,
Jane Hyndman Klein
The 1901 Irish census has 391 people named Hyndman (mostly in Co Antrim and the counties of Ulster). The 1901 Scottish census has 323. The majority of those in the Irish census are Presbyterian (indicating Scottish ancestry). The majority of the remainder are Church of Ireland (indicating Plantation settler origins, possibly English or from the Scottish borders).

As you’ll probably know the majority of settlers in Ireland from England, Scotland & Wales came in the 1600s. As far as Scotland is concerned at least 100,000 came in the 17th century, representing at least 10% of the population of Scotland at the time. The problem with researching those who came in the 1600s is that there are hardly any paper records, save for a few major land owners eg McDonnell of the Isles or Edmonstone of Blanefield. There are no records of the average tenant or artisan who settled in Ireland.

In the early years of the Plantation, most Presbyterians attended the Church of Ireland where a Presbyterian Minister would preach after the COI service. Then in the 1630s the Bishops decided this was not acceptable, the Presbyterian Ministers were all expelled from Ireland, and there was a period of wilderness when there were no services, and more or less no Ministers. (Some Scots from Killinchy in Co Down used to cross to Stranraer for Sunday services to overcome the problem). By the late 1670s Presbyterians were once again tolerated and started to build their own churches and start to keep baptism and marriage records. But there are no records before the 1670s and only a handful from the 1600s have survived. (About 9 Presbyterian churches in Co Antrim have any records from the 1600s, out of at least 100 churches at the time). So the basic problem from a genealogical perspective is that there are little or no records for the 1600s and precious few for the 1700s too. So it’s almost impossible to trace back to the time of the first Scots settlers. DNA may provide a link, but there are only rarely paper records to confirm it.
Elwyn

bballj56

Post by bballj56 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:22 pm

Thank you for your reply and information about researching in Ireland. I realize finding a paper trail for my Hyndman ancestors in Ireland will be almost impossible. I guess I am an optimist and hope I will stumble upon some piece of information, but so far have had no such luck. :(
Jane Hyndman Klein

ssbillings

Post by ssbillings » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 am

I'm wondering if you have any Hyndman ancestors who settled in Eastern Pennsylvania. My 3 times great grandmother was Jane Hyndman (1797-1882) and she married Samuel Kennedy in Antrim, I believe, and emigrated to Mauch Chunk, PA in the 1840's.