Irish records free on Findmypast until 8 March

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Irish records free on Findmypast until 8 March

Post by SarahND » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:37 am

I just saw this announcement on Dick Eastman's blog:

Leading family history site, Findmypast, has announced today the online release of over 10 million Irish Catholic Parish Registers as part of their ongoing commitment to making Irish family history easier and more accessible than ever before. Fully indexed for the first time, the registers form one of the most important record collections for Irish family history and are free to search forever.

Spanning over 200 years of Ireland’s history from 1671-1900, the Irish Catholic Parish Registers contain over 40 million names from over 1,000 parishes and cover 97% of the entire island of Ireland, both Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic.

This is the first time that National Library of Ireland’s collection of Irish Catholic Registers has been fully indexed with images to the original documents linked online. The records can now be searched by name, year and place, allowing relatives and historians the opportunity to make all important links between generations with the baptism records and between families with the marriage registers.

To celebrate the release of this essential collection, Findmypast is also making its entire archive of over 110 million Irish records, the largest available anywhere online, FREE from 9am Tuesday 1st March to 9am on Tuesday 8th March. Findmypast is home to the most comprehensive online collection of Irish family history records with millions of exclusive records, published in partnership with The National Archives of Ireland, The National Archives UK, and a host of other local, county and national archives.

Happy searching!

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Irish records free on Findmypast until 8 March

Post by paddyscar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:57 am

Thanks, Sarah. Hopefully we can find my gr. great grandmother, or even a record of my gr. grandfather would be lovely!

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:26 pm

Good luck, Frances!
You're bound to have more chance of finding them than I do my 5th great grandfather :? Still plugging away...

[cheers]
Sarah

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:05 pm

No luck for me here, but the one Irish relative that I know anything about came from Belfast. I had pretty good results from emeraldancestors.com a few years ago and I think it was fairly cheap!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:28 pm

I had a great find. Did a search for Sarah Moran the sister of my great grandfather born in Antrim, and when I read the baptismal record was surprised to find that she had a twin......Mary Moran. We never knew that there had been twins in the family.

Ina

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:51 am

Nice find, Ina. Irish records can be pretty sketchy, and there you are finding 2 for the price of none :lol: =D>
Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:45 pm

Just found one more......Sarah Moran's church marriage record. Also found some of my Larkins from Londonderry. I'm really enjoying all these free records. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Ina

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Ina,
Let me know if you get the Trainers back any further... maybe we'll find our connection!

[cheers]
Sarah

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:31 am

No luck with the Trainer's Sarah, one of these days we will find the connection. Found a lot of my Bonnar's (Bonar's) and Larkin's from Derry.

Ina