Daisy Baxter Bruce

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Re: Daisy Baxter Bruce

Post by Currie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:11 pm

The Medical Annual, 1922.
See advert for Mount Ephraim Nursing Home.
https://archive.org/stream/medicalannua ... 1/mode/2up

The Nursing Home.
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/397231629616403067/

The following OCR'd text is as supplied, and I have only checked the addresses against the image.

Skibbereen Eagle, Saturday, February 19, 1910
Many residents wiU regret to hear of the death, last week, of the fine St. Bernard, "Leo," belonging to Miss Baxter, of 8, Molyneux Park. Leo, with an Alpine barrel suspended from his neck to collect for the hospitals, was a _familiar figure on Mount Ephraim. It may be recalled that. Queen Alexandra, when Princess of Wales, was very interested in his father of the same name, who was a - celebrated canine philanthropist, who spent his life begging for the Cork Hospital, and coUected over £4,000 for that charity. When "Little Leo," as he was called, came over from _Ireland, he had the .honour, of being photographed with her Majesty. At the Ladies' Kennel Show, at tJga Botanic Gardens, last June, the (_fJMen went specially to see this., noble. aSfinal, and expressed her great admiration of him and his family of seven, which she said were very " sweet little Leos." Some of these youngsters have been placed in good homes in Tunbridge Wells, and it is to bej hoped When their puppy days are over that they wiU foUow in their father's footsteps, and •turn out as professional beggars for that most worthy and deserving object, the General Hospital, ¦ •¦ ..
; The above reaches us from a; Wells journal, _<and records, the death of Leo, otherwise Leo' . " ! II. _Nojv, many people willtpjpbably ask who was;Leo II. The question is easily'answered.- He was a son o£ Leo I., and the history of those very renaarkable_^dogs is simplicity itself. Some, years ago -(about twelve), Mr.-John Wagner, 'J.P., Dunmanway, was the possessor of a splendid St. Bernard dog, who. answered to the name of Leo. This was _* Leo I. Even up' midst . ¦ " the .Bigi snows" his equal may not have been found. Mr. Wagner, in. his _character-, istic good nature, -made a present of him to Miss Baxter, who at that tune was Superintendent of the Women's and ChUdren's Hospital, Cork. Very little training =Leo required' for. the work cut out for him, and for a long : time Cork knew the noble dog weU, with his collecting-box round his neck marked '' Women and Children's Hospital Aid." By this means, Miss Baxter, or rather . Leo, collected large sums of money for the hospital; and when Miss,Baxter, to the general regret of all connected with hospital work in Cork, took her departure for " Mount Ephraim Nursing Home," _Molyneux Park, Tunbridge Wells, she took Leo with her, and there for many years he carried on the same work as he did in Cork. He is long since dead, and the Leo whose death is chronicled above was a son_^of his and engaged in the same work.

There's a Miss M H Baxter on Ancestry's Immigration database. Can't see the details. I saw some snippet somewhere about Leo the dog recovering from seasickness , but couldn't access the details..
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss ... h=000&so=2

Alan

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi,

Update on Daisy. . . I think I've found her in Johannesburg, South Africa. She was married to a William Fawcitt Clemiston, she died on 10 Nov 1965.
I've never tried researching in South Africa before, but it looks quite difficult apparently :roll: she had 2 sons, Wilfrid & Robert (Bruce).

Does anyone know any good websites I could try for info BDM's ?

Regards,

Daryl

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Daryl,

Five or six years ago I used this site to find a relative in South Africa: http://southafricanfamilyhistory.com/ancestry24/

It worked well for me at the time, but I haven't look at it since so I can't say how it is today.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:58 am

Hello Carol,

“We are delighted to inform you that Ancestry.com, the world’s largest online family history resource, has acquired over four million South African records from Ancestry24, the South African family history website that closed for business in February 2013.”
http://www.ancestry.com/ancestry24

I can't find any more recent news.

All the best,
Alan

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:05 am

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Alan,

That's too bad about Ancestry24. When it was an independent site they had a message board and I was able to post the message that connected me with my relative who was living in AU, but kept an eye on the South African site just in case!

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi Alan & Carol,

Many thanks for the links you posted regarding Daisy & South Africa. I've had a look at myhertitage and the pic of Daisy is interesting as there is a strong resemblance to other family members. I have messaged 2 people who are related to her to confirm if it is indeed her. I also had a look at her husbands death notice & probate record for any further details but it didn't really say too much about Daisy.

It looks like researching in SA is quite difficult, as ordering BDM's can take up to a year that's if they reply at all ! so hope I can find info in other ways.

Daryl

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi again,

My cousin in AU has a friend who lives in Johannesburg, SA. I passed along your query about Daisy Baxter Bruce and she looked around for info. She has only found one entry so far. This came from the South African Archives site so you may have it. This is the death entry for William Fawcitt Clemitson. It gives the reference numbers so you can request a copy of the cert. but she doesn't know what it costs these days. She is going to try to find him in the local papers too.

DEPOT TAB
SOURCE MHG
TYPE LEER
VOLUME- NO 0
SYSTEM O1
REFERENCE 595/48
PART 1
DESCRIPTION CLEMITSON, WILLIAM FAWCITT
STARTING 19480000
ENDING 19480000
REMARKS SURVIVING SPOUSE DAISY BAXTER CLEMITSON (BORN BRUCE)

The internet in Johannesburg is challenging to say the least. It took her 3 weeks to get this email to my cousin so don't hold your breath, but I will post anything more that comes in when it gets here!

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:47 pm

This is the web address for the South African Archives: http://www.national.archives.gov.za/index.htm

Go there and click on Search Automated...from the column on the left. That will get you a whole list of places to search including one on gravestones. There are two for Clemitson--Margaret Emily and John.

Good hunting!

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Carol,

Many thanks for finding the info on Daisy in the SA National Archives for me. I did have a look, but didn't find much. I did find Daisy's probate record details, and the archives advised me to contact the High Court in Cape Town to request a copy of the probate. It's very kind of you to pass on my query to your cousin's friend to find info on my behalf too, it's much appreciated :) . It would be nice to confirm if it is Daisy, and know I've finally found her.

Regards,

Daryl