full age/ age of consent .....

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

rosie

full age/ age of consent .....

Post by rosie » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:46 pm

hi
can anybody tell me full age means in 1865

my gg grand parents were married in newry county down in 1865.
it state that my gg granfather was age 24, and states that my gg grandmother was full age.

i take this to mean age of consent.

what was the age of consent for females in ireland in 1865?

any info would be appreciated .....regards rosie :

StewL

Post by StewL » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:26 am

Hi Rosie

According to another thread on this subject full age meant the age of 21 years, and was different from the age of consent.

In 1865 the age of consent in UK was 12 years old, this was changed in 1885 to the current age of 16 years old, after strong campaigning by various individuals and "welfare" organisations.

:D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:09 pm

"Of full age" is an English expression in terms of marriage register entries, - maybe also Irish, - I'm not expert enough in those records to comment.

Such an expression was never used on the post 1854 Scottish marriage register entries, the declared age always being given.

Up until the early 1900s and various Acts of Parliament, the legal age for marriage in Scotland was 12 for females and 14 for males.......... but it is most unusual to come across marriages involving such low ages outside the aristocracy.

David

rosie

full age

Post by rosie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:30 pm

thanks david and stewie :D

i,m glad that the full age and the age of consent are not the same,its hard to imagine that a child at 12 could be married :shock:

regards rosie
SEARCHING: CLARK(DUMBARTONSHIRE AND IRELAND )DONNELLY(LANARK) BAIRD( LANARK AND NEWKILPTRICK)COWAN(ANDERSTON AND IRELAND)COOK( ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS)ANGUS(ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS) GAULT or GALT( PARTICK AND NEWKILPATRICK)

StewL

Post by StewL » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:49 am

hi Rosie

I was trying to find an article I had seen regarding the prosecution of child abusers pre-1885, but for the life of me I cant find it :oops:

I can say that contrary to popular belief, there were a number of such prosecutions in the early 1800's as it was frowned upon not only by the kirk, but by people in general. As DWW said, unless you were aristocracy :roll:

:D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

rosie

Post by rosie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:12 pm

hi stewie :D

thanks for the info, if you come across the artical you speak of let me know i would be interested to hear what it has to say.

regards rosie :)
SEARCHING: CLARK(DUMBARTONSHIRE AND IRELAND )DONNELLY(LANARK) BAIRD( LANARK AND NEWKILPTRICK)COWAN(ANDERSTON AND IRELAND)COOK( ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS)ANGUS(ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS) GAULT or GALT( PARTICK AND NEWKILPATRICK)