Gaelic speaker origin .....

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:12 pm

Hi Elmce
It would be worth checking any other census years which she might have appeared on (1851 onwards..) for birthplace, just in case. That is, of course, if you don't have the "full set" already! :wink:

best wishes
Lesley
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

rdem

Post by rdem » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:38 am

Since she was married in 1850 would you be so lucky as to know if she had a child born in 1855?
Dempsey, Bon(n)ar, Brown, O'Donnell (2), Morgan, McDonald, McNeillis, Graham, Moor, Gallocher, Donnelly, Dougan.
Hampton, Stewart (2), Wilson (2), Main, Thomson, MacPherson, Thaw, Watson, Barclay, Kinloch, Brand (2) Murray, Harper. Edward(s) Nicol

rdem

Post by rdem » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:46 am

Daly or Dailly can be from two forms
1. Scottish for Dailly, a place name for a parish on Ayrshire.
2. From the Irish O'Daly which is more probable.

Spellings were interchangeable.
Last edited by rdem on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dempsey, Bon(n)ar, Brown, O'Donnell (2), Morgan, McDonald, McNeillis, Graham, Moor, Gallocher, Donnelly, Dougan.
Hampton, Stewart (2), Wilson (2), Main, Thomson, MacPherson, Thaw, Watson, Barclay, Kinloch, Brand (2) Murray, Harper. Edward(s) Nicol

IanS

Re: gaelic speakers

Post by IanS » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:11 am

Hi there,
elmca wrote:hi, her name was daly or daily, I would love to find out where she came from but she married, gave birth and died in scotland so I have no information about her birthplace. she was married by a catholic priest in portobello and I was told it was really rare to find the marriage record of this (1850) it was suggested I contact the church to try and find additional documents but does anyone know if it is worth doing so? is it likely to say where she actually came from? thanks :)
If you have her death cert , what was her mothers maiden name? If it was unusual, it may (or :roll: may not ) help.

elmca

Bridget Daily/Daly

Post by elmca » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:48 pm

Hello, her mother's name was Mary Grogan, it's not a name that I have heard much off and I have no idea if it is an irish name or not. I really appreciate all the help and advice being posted. Thanks :)
Researching these names (and more)..
Gibb (Ayr/Lanark/Edinburgh)
Sommerville (Lanarkshire)
Young (Lothian & Borders/Fife)
Crease (Edinburgh)

elmca

Post by elmca » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:53 pm

rdem wrote:Since she was married in 1850 would you be so lucky as to know if she had a child born in 1855?
She had a child called David, he appears to have been born in 1855 in Crichton, Midlothian. There were several children: John, Mary, David, Eliza Jane, William, Helen (or nellie) and Sarah.
Crease (Edinburgh)

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi there,

I've not had any luck so far. There are a lot of Grogans in Ireland, not as many as Dalys though!!! So the first name of father Daly MIGHT help a little.
Have you tried looking for the birth cert. of David (poss 1855) as rdem suggested? This would give you the birthplace of both parents. I did have a wee look using what I think was her married name of Fleck, but I couldn't see a birth.

I wonder if the first few children were born Ireland? Maybe runaways, came to Scotland to get married, and returned with the deed done. I see the last 3 on the I.G.I...... If so Fleck is mainly Co. Antrim.

Help!! My imagination is running riot here--Sorry.

rdem

Post by rdem » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:34 pm

If you don't already have it , I would suggest that you get the 1855 birth for David. In most cases it will give the place of birth or origin of the parents.

elmca

Post by elmca » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:55 pm

Hi, thanks for your replies,
I typed out a huge reply yesterday and have just realised it didn't appear ...... :?
Now i can't remember what i said!!
I know that all the children were born in Scotland as I found them on the 1871 census in Borthwick and the children were born in Fala/Crichton/Borthwick, the first son was John born around 1850. The birth certs only have parents place of marriage, that's how I found out they married in portobello.
Bridget Daily's father was Myles Daily, William's father was John and he was a woolen weaver, does that help with location?? Unfortunately I don't know if William spoke gaelic so that takes me back to the 'where did they come from' scenario! Thanks again, e :)
Crease (Edinburgh)

IanS

Post by IanS » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:37 pm

Okaydokey-- Miles Daly makes things much easier :D . If Miles (myles) was alive at time of Griffiths Valuation of Ireland , there are I think only 5 possibles. No.5 looks extremely tempting

1. A lessor to 5 different tenants in Tralee, County Kerry, who doesn't appear to actually live in the Parish.

2. A tenant who lives in Killiney Parish, Co. Kerry, who also has a couple of extra pieces of land to work.

The above 2 don't have Grogans in the same Parish, but a couple of Parish boundaries away. (I'll get the parish name to you, I forgot to take note)

3. A tenant in the parish of Inishmagrath, townland Corderry, Co. Leitrim, with Grogans in the same Parish and only a few townlands away.

4. A tenant in the Parish of Kilmactranny, with Grogans in the next Parish.

5. A Myles Daly is a tenant in the Townland of Cavanakeeran, Parish of Pomeroy, Co.Tyrone, with next door Neighbours JOHN GROGAN jun. and
sen. G.V. was 1859 for this part of Tyrone.

I'll see if the surnames are on the Flax list of 1796 and the families were neighbours at that time.