where to start? .....

A country in its own right

Moderator: Global Moderators

karenc

where to start? .....

Post by karenc » Sun May 21, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi,

I am just about to start researching some ancestors who were originally from wales and wondered if anyone could reccomend some good websites or suggest where the best place to start would be.

Ideally i would like to look at census and mostly OPR information.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Karen

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun May 21, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi Karen
As far as I'm aware the IGI includes Wales, so worth having a look there first maybe.

Best wishes
Lesley
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun May 21, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi Karen,

Ancestry.com has census records from 1841-1901 for Wales, as well as BMD from 1837 on. The catch is you need to pay for a subscription.
If you give some names, dates and places, I would be happy to have a look (unless you want the fun of looking yourself, in which case I will try to control my fingers from going there on the keyboard) :D

Sarah

karenc

Post by karenc » Sun May 21, 2006 7:51 pm

HI,

Thanks Lesley I will try the IGI and see if i can find anything.

Karen

karenc

Post by karenc » Sun May 21, 2006 7:54 pm

Hi Sarah,

I would be very grateful of your help if you wouldnt mind checking.

I am looking for Lewis Morgan in 1841/1851 census. He would be born abt 1830. Im not sure where, although his parents Lewis Morgan and Annie Williams were married in 1818 in Llangynidr which i think is in Monmouthshire or Breconshire.

If you can find anything with so little detail and suh a common name as morgan you deserve a big drink :lol:

Thanks

Karen

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun May 21, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi Karen,
This was a good test for the new hard drive that just got installed in my laptop. Works beautifully!

There were only about 5 boys of the right age in 1841 named Lewis whose father was also Lewis. But none of them had a mother Annie. All Mary except one Elizabeth.

I think I found the right family in 1851, however. How does this look?

District 2w, Trevethin, Monmouthshire
Lewis Morgan age 50 Tailor
Ann Morgan age 51
David Morgan age 25 Iron Ore Miner
Lewis Morgan age 22 do. do.
Ann Morgan age 19 Mine Filler
Mary Morgan age 11 Scholar

They were all born in Llanover, Monmouthshire (not far at all from the marriage location you gave)

I can't find this family in 1841... but if you think it is the right one, I will try harder :D

Cheers,
Sarah

karenc

Post by karenc » Sun May 21, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi Sarah,

Yes I think this is the right family :shock: :D What i didnt tell you before was that the fathers occupation was a tailor so it matches the census exactly :!: Everything else seems to fit as well.

Just wanted to check that you got it from ancestry and if so, can i access it through the pay per view on the site ?

Thanks again for the great help :D

Karen

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun May 21, 2006 11:14 pm

Karen,
So glad it turned out to be the right family! Yes, I got it from ancestry. The U.S. site doesn't allow pay per view, as far as I know. You have to subscribe for a period of time. But I see ancestry.co.uk is organized differently.

Just curious, now that I have "met" these folks-- did Lewis Jr. also become a tailor, or did he remain a miner? If you tell me his wife's name, maybe I can find him in 1861 etc.
Best,
Sarah

karenc

Post by karenc » Sun May 21, 2006 11:34 pm

Hi Sarah,

As far as i know lewis, the son, stayed a miner. He moved here to scotland sometime between 1851 and 1859. He got married in 1859 in dunfermline to Margaret Niven. I have him on the 1861 census for Dunfermline, Fife. I think the rest of his family would have stayed in Wales so maybe his parents and brothers and sisters would be on a later census.

Any further help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Karen

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon May 22, 2006 12:03 am

I'll send you any info I find on the family who remained in Wales. I must confess that I'm the tiniest bit disappointed they weren't the ones I found from Mynyddyslwyn :shock: To a linguist that name is like candy :wink:
I'll console myself with that drink you offered. :D
Sarah