Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Swedish records free this weekend

Post by SarahND » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 am

Hello all,
I heard about this on Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter:

http://www.arkivdigital.net/news-item/a ... is-weekend

Images of Swedish genealogical records will be free online this weekend, in case any of you have some Swedes in your ancestry. If you try it out, please post here your impressions. As far as I know I don't have any Swedes in my family to look for, but know that there were a good number of Swedes going to Scotland and Scots going there, so perhaps this will help someone.

All the best,
Sarah

Currie

Re: Swedish records free this weekend

Post by Currie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks for that Sarah. If I had any Swedish ancestors it seems they were pre family history.

All the best,
Alan

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 am

just checking to see if anyone ever tried this one out? sure could use some advice on a hanna/anna berggren who sailed 1890 from boras. anyone have paid access to the websites or the cd offering what passes for an 1880 swedish census? anna supposedly born abt aug 1871, middle name could be christine, and father could be peter mattson could be a miner (mother not known and so far no sign of siblings.) i already have emigration data and usa info...... just need a solid link back to her homeland.

all comments welcomed!

jean

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:36 am

Hi Jean:

There are many Anna Berggen entries on https://familysearch.org/search. Related to Ancestry, it is a free service and you can connect with the parents and there is the option of adding other information. Unfortunately, it doesn't connect with census records.

http://sok.riksarkivet.se/ is the Swedish Archives which does have census, church records, tax records, etc., but is subscription based.

There is a free trial or a weekly rate of approx. 13 - 16 USD http://www.arkivdigital.net/land/an2011 ... MwodJVEARg which indicates that they do have the census.

Hopefully, you might find some information in the free access options,
Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:34 am

Sorry, Jean, I have never tried it, not having any such ancestors to trace. It sounds as though Sweden is more difficult (and costly) than Norway or Denmark. :( I suppose you have already looked at the several possible births on the Ancestry database Sweden, Indexed Birth Records, 1870-1941 with father pet* mat*n -- there are several named Anna and at least one Christina. Several mothers named Christina/Kristina also. There is an Alma Kristina who might be interesting...

But, of course, the problem is, how do you know which one?

According to FamilySearch, the word for miner in Swedish is bergsarbetare (mountain worker?) but I'm not seeing any occupations spelled out like that. I can see a number of laborers, "arbetskarl" abbreviated arbk. most of the time. There are some with a capital B. -- could that be short for bergsarbetare? It seems possible. One would need to know the locations of the mining areas to be able to give an educated guess on that.

Have you tied up her arrival record with a corresponding departure record in Sweden? There are a couple of databases on Ancestry that appear to provide that info, but not sure how complete they are.

I'm sure I haven't suggested anything you haven't thought of already :roll: but I'm here cheering you on [cheers]

Sarah

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:07 pm

thanks frances for the links. i may just have to dive in alone!

thanks sarah for the good cheer. my head is swimming trying to get a passable feel for the language before taking the dive. yes i have an emigration for her departing gothenberg on the ss romeo bound for hull on 10 oct 1890 and then a departure from liverpool on the majestic 14 oct arriving ny 23 oct. she appears to be traveling solo. her city of origin is boras which is now apparently in vastragotalands. not sure if this qualifies as a mining region. am equally confused by her apparent maiden surname of berggren but a marriage record that names a father as peter mattson. pretty sure i have connected enough dots in-between to have the right anna but this is open for debate at present. just love those naming patterns!

you will hear my shouts of joy if i solve it all!

jean