The French Connection .....

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

dmacdiarmid

The French Connection

Post by dmacdiarmid » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi Lesley,the saddest thing for me is i knew CV existed and always wanted to meet him,but he died in 1990 .I lived about 5 miles from him in the borders in the mid to late 70s.I could scream.Found this info yesterday in the log books in the Dean cemetery.But hey.David.

dmacdiarmid

The French Connection

Post by dmacdiarmid » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:14 pm

David,i am unsure as to what an open cencus is and what i should be looking for,any advice would be much appreciated.David :?

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 am

Hi David
I hope David doesn't mind me answering what was "his" question, I think what David meant by "open census" was the census material which is open to public view. In Scotland, this would be the all the census material between and including 1841-1901.

I checked the 1901 & I could not see anyone who looked like your folk. This may suggest they came to Scotland between 1901 and 1905. You have a bit of wait for the 1911 census - it should become "open" in 1912 because of the 100 year closure. By that time your family should be in it, as we know they were in Edinburgh by then, so it will be of some interest. There is always a chance that the census might have helped with a place of birth, but there is also a chance that instead of a country & place, it may just state "France" and we will be none the wiser. But by 1912 you may be much further on with your research anyway, and the census may just confirm what you know already!

Hope this is of some help.
Best wishes
Lesley

dmacdiarmid

Post by dmacdiarmid » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:58 pm

Lesley,i hope i am still alive 2012 to see this cencus.I did order Gabrielles husbands(saves any confusion) naturalisation certificate from NA.So maybe it will reveal something we dont already know(i hope).Fingers crossed.David.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:25 pm

hi david
Whoops, just noticed I've said 1912 !! Meant 2012 - well spotted. This is what comes of living in the past... :?

I hope the document from TNA is informative. When it arrives would you maybe be kind enough to give us some kind of idea of the type of information it contains and the degree of detail e.g.

Name, - does it give full name? date of birth, place of birth (we hope!!)? Does it give a description of the person maybe - that would be excellent for you if it did? How many pages long is the document, or is it just a one page certificate with minimum detail - that kinda thing. It may help someone else decide if it would be a good type of document to follow up if they found themselves with a similar situation. Please don't post the actual details, as that would not be fair. (But I think a few of us would be interested if you find a town of birth!)

Best wishes
Lesley

Thrall

Post by Thrall » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:51 am

Hi David, I hope you strike gold! I went to Kew a couple of years ago to search for my gr.grandfather´s naturalisation papers, and after an hour with some very bulky volumes, drew a blank. He was born to Scottish parents in Boston, USA 1842 shortly after crossing the pond, and turned up for his wedding in Glasgow in 1867. In the 1871 census he claims to be born in USA but "Naturalized British Subject". The consensus of opinion at Kew was that the index was correct and complete so he only "said" he was naturalised. I still wonder. I also wonder about records for passport applications in the late nineteenth century. Does anyone know?

Good hunting,

Thrall

dmacdiarmid

The French Connection

Post by dmacdiarmid » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:25 pm

Thrall,I agree passport information would would reveal all sorts of goodies,but how you go about searching these i dont know.David

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:55 pm

You can search for passport application lists on 1837online.

Unfortunately, the one I was looking for doesn't seem to be there, but you might be lucky.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Thrall

Post by Thrall » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:54 pm

Hi Emanday, and thanks for that - when did they sneak in Passport Applications on 1837Online? I had all these credits there until last week, when they ran out it appears, but bit the bullet, bought more, and found however that the family that I think left the country 1878-81 didn´t at least apply together, and although the husband could be there on his own, his wife is not (nor child), and judging by the numbers of wives mentioned, spouses did often if not always have their own passports in those days.
Passports were not mandatory until 1914, so there is another loophole. Pity they started out well, with more details ie. full names and sometimes observations, but let things "slip" as happened to BMDs in Scotland after glorious 1855!

Thanks again,

Good hunting,

Thrall

dmacdiarmid

Post by dmacdiarmid » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:12 pm

:D Today through the post came my grandfathers naturization documents from NA.It starts with date and place of birh,Grenoble,France.Employment details in this country.Date of entering this country.A list of children,two i did not know of.His marraige to Gabrielle.Dates of his army record.Forms filled out in his own handwriting,fantastic.An interesting mistake he made on one form when asked the nationality of his parents,he has first written down Gabrielles mum and dad,nationality,both Swiss.He then scores this out and fills in his parental details,what a great mistake to make.He then has his application declined because he had not filled in the form correctly,so he had to reapply.The whole process took 4 years.Then he has to get 4 referees to vouch for him.One referee turns out to be Gabrielles future husband,Edward Banks.You just could not make this up. :roll: Now British has an affair with Lizzie,divorces,runs off back to France 1923,returns to Edinburgh to remarry 1927,and Catriona's friend A NDRE' discovered his death yesterday in 1953,Lagny,France.David