The French Connection .....

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Wow, David

That sounds like a real treasure trove of details. Great stuff!!
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

dmacdiarmid

Post by dmacdiarmid » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:29 pm

I know it's brilliant.23 PAGES OF STUFF.

Thrall

Post by Thrall » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi David and congratulations on a scoop! Always great when you get lots of relevant, if unexpected, info. Keep us informed on developments. Four years seems a while and a half.

Good hunting,

Thrall

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:18 pm

Hi David
WOW!! Well. that seems like it was well worth sending for!! You couldn't really have asked for more....! :D
And to have found his place of birth too (brilliant!) and his death with Catriona's help ...that solves the mystery of why there was nothing to be found for him in Scotland.

Best wishes
Lesley

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am

This thread has turned out to be an excellent example of what TalkingScot set out to achieve some 21 months ago, that being a friendly and helpful site that would draw in advice from a wide range of members with an equally wide (dare I say vast :wink: ) range of experience in relation to just what records exist, where, the information which such records could contain, and how to access them, - from a starting point of a Scottish connection somewhere along the line.

All this not just in a pure genealogical sense but also in terms of general family history, and wider socialogical, historical and geographical contexts, never mind a wee bit of fun along the way, with a richt guid party now and then.

No flaming or similar unacceptable activities !, and moderation with a light hand, but, above all else, moderated on the basis of common sense and good Scots manners, so that even the most inexperienced newbie, - be that in DG and/or genealogical research terms, - feels "comfortable" from Day 1.

It has been my personal delight to note just how many such newbies have graduated from their first, tentative questions to a point where they realise that they also have knowledge in a particular area or access to particular archives that can be of real value to others, and then post accordingly !!

Orraverybest

David

dmacdiarmid

Post by dmacdiarmid » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:07 pm

David,Thank you for your encouragrment.Without the help of Talking Scot and your fantastic contributors,particualrly yourself,Lesley,Catriona and everyone else offering congratulations etc.I would still be stuck in the dark ages.This is indeed the most friendly site i have seen.I have a sticky wee problem with my FRENCH lot and i do not know what to do next. I have three girls in my grand mothers family,all born in Edinburgh.GABRIELLE AMELIA DUPRE born 1909.BLANCHE NORA RUSSELL DUPRE born 1916.JOYCE PAULINE REYMOND DUPRE born 1916.Ihave found JOYCEs death certificate in 1919 due to an accident.Questions,where can i find details of the accident (in Edinburgh).Is BLANCHE her twin sister?i dont know as i can find nothing on her or her sister GABRIELLE.Only JOYCE is buried beside her mother which i find a mystery.If you can help much obliged.Slainte David.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:00 pm

dmacdiarmid wrote:David,Thank you for your encouragrment.Without the help of Talking Scot and your fantastic contributors,particualrly yourself, Lesley, Catriona and everyone else offering congratulations etc., I would still be stuck in the dark ages. This is indeed the most friendly site i have seen. I have a sticky wee problem with my FRENCH lot and i do not know what to do next. I have three girls in my grand mothers family,all born in Edinburgh.GABRIELLE AMELIA DUPRE born 1909.BLANCHE NORA RUSSELL DUPRE born 1916.JOYCE PAULINE REYMOND DUPRE born 1916. I have found JOYCEs death certificate in 1919 due to an accident. Questions,where can i find details of the accident (in Edinburgh).Is BLANCHE her twin sister?i dont know as i can find nothing on her or her sister GABRIELLE.Only JOYCE is buried beside her mother which i find a mystery.If you can help much obliged.Slainte David.
David

Compliments appreciated \:D/

There's two possible sources for details of the accident, - firstly the FAI (Fatal Accident Inquiry) records, for this era now held at NAS; and, alternatively, in the Scotsman, an index for which is on line, on a subscription basis (except 00:00:01 to 23:59:59 on 30th November, when it's free :shock: ).

Does the 1919 on-line image for Joyce's death have an RCE stamp in the normally empty extreme LH column? Depending on the type of accident, however, note that there may not have been a reference to the Procurator Fiscal and/or a FAI.

You don't say if you've looked for the birth register entries for Blanche and Joyce in the 1909 birth registers at NRH, Park Circus, etc.......

Two separate births in the one year is far from impossible or uncommon, but there's a good chance of twins.

As regards Gabrielle and Blanche is there any indication that they left Scotland? It may be worth having someone look in the Scottish records post-1955 ...........

David

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:19 pm

David

It appears that after her divorce, Gabrielle Albertine DUPUIS married in St Giles parish of Edinburgh in 1922 an Edward BANKS, a farmer.

Have you already got the marriage certificate extract? If not I can send you the details.

Best wishes

Catriona

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi Catriona
I think David has seen these a while back - these were the records which started us off on the trail.

Best wishes
Lesley

dmacdiarmid

Post by dmacdiarmid » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:07 pm

Now that you mention it there was writing in the left hand column pretty illegible except a reference to a page 55.What is NRH?Gabrielle,Blanche or Joyce never mentioned by the brothers Charles and Edward to my mum .But then it was the 50s why would they,unless they were still around.Dont you find the grave thing strange?Slainte,David.