three mile house Paisley Road

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

nancy

three mile house Paisley Road

Post by nancy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:52 pm

Can anyone tell me what and where this address was?My gr/gran/gramps marriage cert gives Hugh Roark and Ann Wallace as both residing there. It also says at Roman Catholic Chapel,but no name of Chapel so take it there was one in this building.Ist July 1867.Could it have been somewhere to reside maybe after coming from Ireland?I know it says Govan dist,any idea what the area would be today?I just can't seem to trace anything. Thanks Nancy.

nelmit

Re: three mile house Paisley Road

Post by nelmit » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:36 pm

nancy wrote:Can anyone tell me what and where this address was?My gr/gran/gramps marriage cert gives Hugh Roark and Ann Wallace as both residing there. It also says at Roman Catholic Chapel,but no name of Chapel so take it there was one in this building.Ist July 1867.Could it have been somewhere to reside maybe after coming from Ireland?I know it says Govan dist,any idea what the area would be today?I just can't seem to trace anything. Thanks Nancy.
Hello Nancy,

This one is really annoying me!

I've found Two Mile House and Halfway House and I know Three Mile House exists, because it is on the 1881 census, but frustratingly I think it will be just off this map to the west. Maybe Andrew can help to locate where to view it.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/valmapview.php?id=23

My best guess would be Three Mile House was round about the Paisley/Glasgow boundary at Ralston as we know it today.

Hope I'm not too far off the mark.

Regards,
Annette M
Last edited by nelmit on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:01 pm

Threemilehouse can be found on www.old-maps.co.uk if you put 253842,663917 in the search box, click on co-ordinate, then search. It is right on the Renfrewshire-Lanarkshire boundary, so appears on both county maps.

The 1890s map shows that area as "Halfwayhouse".

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:21 pm

AndrewP wrote:Threemilehouse can be found on www.old-maps.co.uk if you put 253842,663917 in the search box, click on co-ordinate, then search. It is right on the Renfrewshire-Lanarkshire boundary, so appears on both county maps.

The 1890s map shows that area as "Halfwayhouse".

All the best,

Andrew Paterson
Hello Andrew,

I was hoping you'd supply the info with your expert knowledge of old maps. :D

I had a feeling it might be Halfway House. That area is still known as Halfway today.

Thanks a lot.

Annette M

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:44 pm

Hi All,

Nothing really to add - taken from the enumerator's description of the 1861 Govan census 646-1 Ed 12.
---
"This Division contains the greater part of the Village of Three Mile House"
---
There were about a couple of dozen families living there in 1861.

Jack

nancy

Post by nancy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:03 am

Hi Annette,Andrew and Jack,and thanks very much for your help.I also thought it may be around that area but not sure.I used to hear my Mother mentioning Halfway House and have passed Halfway often. With marriage cert stating both lived there,and married in Chapel,could this building have had a chapel in it? Thanks also for maps,you are all so helpful. Cheers Nancy

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:04 am

The 1930s map shows an RC church in Mossknowe Avenue (across fom Nazareth House - these were/are usually run by the RC church). The chapel, Nazareth House and Mossknowe Avenue weren't on the older maps, so I can only guess that there was an older chapel in the area previously (not marked on the maps).

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

nancy

Post by nancy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:10 am

Hi Anndrew, Thanks once again for your help.Looking at it here gives me a better picture in my mind.What gets me is the chapel not having actual name on marraige cert.I'll maybe ask diocesan office,and tell you how i get on.Thanks again for your help. Nancy

LindaMc

RC Chapel

Post by LindaMc » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:04 pm

Hello Nancy

When I lived in Mosspark, Glasgow, there was a pub on Paisley Road West, near Mosspark Boulevard, called the Halfway House. It was across the road from Nazareth House and Our Lady of Lourdes RC Church, Lourdes Avenue.

I don't know what kind of establishment Three Mile House was but there is a memorial stone in Govan Churchyard to George Bissett Three Mile House ( www.govanold.org.uk )

Linda
Researching: Barnes, McTaggart, Hamill, Cockburn, Allison,Reid, McCann, Fallens, Crossey, Rogan

Jack

Post by Jack » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:10 pm

Hi Nancy,

That's an excellent 1930s map.

I remember the public house from the 1960s that is shown next to the P.O. Named, as you would guess, either The Halfway Inn or Halfway House Inn (i didn't take too much notice of it's sign).
An old fashioned pub with a decent pint of heavy - which oddly was of a dark colour (and the light was light in colour). It was usually the other way about.

You'd think i spent all my youth trying out the beer in various pubs... bu' oneshtly, a' didnae.

Jack
--
ps; so you remember it too Linda!