three mile house Paisley Road

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

LindaMc

Map

Post by LindaMc » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:21 pm

Hi Jack

Yes I do remember it , not that I ever frequented it because, as you know, in the 1960s ladies didn't go into such places!

You're right about the map, it is excellent. Mossknowe Avenue is what is now Lourdes Avenue.

Linda
Researching: Barnes, McTaggart, Hamill, Cockburn, Allison,Reid, McCann, Fallens, Crossey, Rogan

Jack

Post by Jack » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:36 pm

Hi Linda,

I didn't for one second think you did go in - only that you'd seen it from across the road.
But come to think of it - isn't that Howden's bar across the road?!

Jack
--
ps; and i'm sure you wouldn't have visited it either! Neither could've been deemed suitable for a lady.

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:18 am

Jack

They sound like the sort of pubs I frequented in my youth and dare I say it in my navy days :lol:

But of course I wouldnt have seen the likes of Linda in my travels in the 70's either :lol:
I was too young to drink in Scotland, but it may have been frequented by my father, who knows :wink:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:51 am

Hi Stewie,

Aye, they don't have pubs like that today - the environmental & health depts widnae allow it!

Jack

StewL

Post by StewL » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:56 am

Jack

Yes the type of pubs I frequented in my lost youth are no longer around, the health dept here wouldnt allow it either. As for the overseas pubs, well I will not comment on a decent site like this :wink:

Sorry for hijacking the thread, and I will let it get back to its original story :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

LindaMc

Three Mile House

Post by LindaMc » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:24 pm

Hello Nancy

While visiting my parents in Glasgow last week, I came across a litle book called OLD CARDONALD. On page three I found the following information which I thought would interest you.

A picture of Paisley Road Toll, Glasgow looking west.

For centuries, traffic leaving Glasgow for Paisley and Renfrew went through the toll at Bridge Street and travelled along the road west before reaching the next toll which was at the present Paisley Road Toll. Here the road divided, with the fork on the right leading to Renfrew and the fork on the left leading to Paisley. There were stages for coaches on this stretch of road and the first was situated around the top of the present Broomloan Road. As it was roughly two miles from Glasgow it was called 'Two Mile House'. The next toll,'Three Mile House' was known as Halfway as it stood halfway between Glasgow and Paisley. It was on the boundary between Govan Parish in Lanarkshire and Paisley Abbey Parish in Renfrewshire.

On the next page is a picture of Halfway taken in 1905 with the following information:

Before Paisley Road West was constructed in 1753, the route from Halfway continued up over the hills and along the line of the present Moss Heights, Wedderlea Drive, South Hillington Farm and Arkleston Road, before reaching Paisley.

In the early nineteenth century Halfway had cottages, an Inn a smithy and a school. The school was the Three-Mile Subscription School which had been established on the death of one Richardson of Ralston in 1840. He left nearly£1000 'to assist in erecting and maintaining in all time coming a school in the neighbourhood of the Three-Mile House'. The pupils mostly came from Three-Mile House but some came from areas further afield including Ibrox,Hillington Toll and Crookston.

Hope this is of interest to you.

Linda
Researching: Barnes, McTaggart, Hamill, Cockburn, Allison,Reid, McCann, Fallens, Crossey, Rogan

nancy

Post by nancy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:01 pm

Hello there Linda,thanks a bundle for giving me this info on Three Mile House :D It's brilliant.I buy all the books on Old Paisley,so i should be able to get Cardonald one in one of the book shops.Even if i dont,ive still got your info here :lol: Thanks again,Linda,Cheers Nancy :)

LindaMc

Three Mile House

Post by LindaMc » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:20 am

Hi Nancy

I think I bought this book in Braehead centre a couple of years ago.
The title is Old CARDONALD and the author is Bill Spalding. The price on the back is £6.99 and if you had to order it the number is ISBN 1 84033 082 1.
Published by: Stenlake Publishing, Ochiltree Sawmill, The Lade, Ochiltree, Ayrshire KA 18 2NX Telephone 01290 423114

You were asking about the Chapel where your ancestors were married, well according to this book, the Catholics from around Halfway were ministered by St. Anthony's Parish at Govan Cross. Later on they were able to use the Convent Chapel at Maryland House. But this was after 1902.

Glad to be able to help.

Linda

nancy

Post by nancy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:15 pm

Hi Linda,you're a treasure. :D Thanks for more info!I went with my daughter today to Braehead,she was taking pc for healthcheck.I thought :idea: i'll browse bookshop as i may just find book there!Then! we noticed closing down sale in sportshop.Next thing we knew it was time to get kids from school :( Never mind,i'll phone tomorrow and enquire about book!In the run up to Christmas :roll: those kind of books,should be on shelves.I quite often get birthday or Christmas pressies of Paisley books.I would think Maryland house is probably Nazareth House now.I'll see what i can find out.Thanks again for all your help! :D Cheers Nancy :)

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:54 am

Nancy, those books should be available in most libraries.

Why not check the on-line catalogue for Renfrewshire at:

http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk

and see if it's there, I know that it's in the Falkirk library.
Wilma