Ancestry uk

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ann In the UK

Re: Ancestry uk

Post by Ann In the UK » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 pm

that works out quite expensive too, if you are paying a years subs with Ancestry
Aye it does - but it's an expensive hobby! I use Ancestry elsewhere in my research anyway, so I need the full sub. Just wish SP had something similar.

Regards
Ann

thomsos

Post by thomsos » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 pm

Ann In the UK wrote:
that works out quite expensive too, if you are paying a years subs with Ancestry
Aye it does - but it's an expensive hobby! I use Ancestry elsewhere in my research anyway, so I need the full sub. Just wish SP had something similar.

Regards
Ann
Yes, I wish you just had to pay subs for SP too [sigh]
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 am

morgano wrote:Trish,

Thanks, too, for the advice regarding the ordering of English & Welsh records via Ancestry. As it happens, not all that many of my ancestors were English and they took the precaution of living in a well-documented parish in Norfolk, but I do have a lot of Welsh ones.

Owen
I'm not sure if you have the address for ordering any Welsh bdm records - you can use FreeBDM or ancestry to find the volume/page numbers required - then go here
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certi ... efault.asp
You have to register the first time you use the site. Always good to remember that English/Welsh certificates contain much less information than Scottish ones - very little useful information on their death certificates - although more recent ones are a slight improvement.

Trish

Aliballibee

Post by Aliballibee » Mon May 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Hello all,

As a general question on Ancestry.co.uk (I'm trialling the 30day free membership) - does anyone actually have their family tree details on there? I don't like the thought of my family tree being online - although in one way or another it is :)

The other thing I noticed is that areas of your family seemed to be "owned" by other people i.e. a my family group sheet from 1880's is owned by A N Other.

All new to me so welcome any comments.

Kind regards

Alan

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue May 08, 2012 3:17 am

Hi Alan:

Just make sure you remember to cancel the membership before your 30 days expire or you'll be the proud new member of Ancestry UK with a paid-up one year membership.

I enjoy the special free trials or access for special events, and do use them whenever possible. I also access Ancestry databases through my local library. I am opposed to paying to 'house' my tree securely online, in order for Ancestry to then sell access to my work to the next set of members.

Also copyright issues involved with that information and using Ancestry software packages to publish family trees has made me even more leery.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:34 am

Hi Alan

If you do forget to cancel that trial - call ancestry - I've had refunds from them in the past.

I'm a long time subscriber but have only a very small tree online. Sadly some documents I have sent family members have been put on other trees - which does annoy me as there is probably copyright issues within them (where private use is fine, but I'm not sure about online). I have found some amazing photos & also certificates that people have put on ancestry - if you really want to share and have no concerns about how the information is used - then it would seem fine - but once on there - you really have little control over how it is used. Then again, when I shared my FH documents with extended family, I obviously lost control over how they were used - so unless you share with no-one, the information tends to become public knowledge. I have learned to leave living family off all family trees (other than the one that is mine alone) as regardless of online sites not making the information readily available, it is there & at times will be seen.

Trish

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 pm

This page has a reasonable looking list of advantages and disadvantages of Online and PC. There are quite a few things to consider.
http://www.my-history.co.uk/acatalog/so ... tware.html

Alan

Aliballibee

Post by Aliballibee » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Evening all,

There is an interesting argument for using online services or not here.

My searches over the weekend found two large, unknown sections of family tree on Ancestry.com and a long lost cousin. I'll still check the dates and try to add details, but had the current "family group" owners of the sections of tree not published them I wouldn't have found them, without having to do individual searches. I also found photographs of ancestor headstones from cemetries that were hugely interesting.

I like the idea of potentially adding "portions of tree" - you can then maintain a little control but I think I'll keep photographs and other details for my PC based software.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Kind regards

Alan

gwennypenny

Post by gwennypenny » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:40 pm

thank you.I am new FREEN to all this and signed up to free trial and then go monthly on ancestry UK and now I have cancelled it. I have found nothing on there and become frustrtaed as its all english and wales, I didnt realize it wasnt much for scotland =D>