NAS

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

garibaldired

NAS

Post by garibaldired » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:13 am

I always get lost on the NAS site.
If I go there will I be able to order at the time in one go CH3/68, CH3/69 and CH3/466 (all Dalkeith Association minutes etc).
And then a further 3 like that?

And if I'm looking for references to people from Carrington, Midlothian would Gorebridge and Pencuik be sensible choices?

I don't want to waste time as this will be a one day only visit.

Grateful for any advice.

Best wishes,
Meg
Main family lines are Harpers from Midlothian, Fife & Kinross-shire, and Dobies/Dobbies from Midlothian. Also Strathearn, Stobie, Layden and Downie.

LesleyB

Re: NAS

Post by LesleyB » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:25 pm

hi Meg

a lot of the Church items have already been digitised and can be viewed on the PCs at NAS, but best to check prior to your visit. You could send them an email, or if time is tight, give them a phone to check that the items you want will be there for you.

CH3/68 has a couple of items, so you would need to be more specific e.g.:
CH3/68/1 Session Minutes 1749-1754 1749-1807 and/or
CH3/68/2 Minutes 1755-1845, Accessions 1755-1808

If you put CH3/68 in the search box in the catalogue you can see all the available documents and what status they are - quite a number of the items seem to have been digitised.
Do the same with CH3/69 and CH3/466 to find sepecific items which cover the dates you are interested in.
CH3/69/1 Session Minutes 1820-1890
CH3/466 is huge - contains a lot of separate items , so you need to have alook at that one in detail and pick specific refs e.g.
CH3/466/26 Communion roll 1842-1843

If the items have been digitised, there is no need to order ahead of time, as they will be able to be viewed on the PCs - just make sure you take a very specific list of the docs you want to view though e.g. CH3/466/26 Communion roll 1842-1843
otherwise you can waste a lot of time having to look the references up when you are there or waste time trawling though a lot of documents of parts of documents which are not relevant to your search, and time seems to ge very quickly when you are there!

Take a longer list of refs than you think you will get through, as archive documents are always full of surprises, some being less detailed or containing less information than you had hoped, and some where you feel you have hit the jackpot!! If a" jackpot" happens, great, you will have plenty to keep you occupied, and if you do not get through everything, at least you will be coming away with a lot of new info. Having a long wish list saves running out of things to do, or if you have to order up an item, you have something to keep you busy and make the best use of the waiting time.

Believe me, it is far better to come away at closing time with your head reeling, and feeling in dire need of a slice of carrot cake and coffee, than to have run out of things to do!!

Best wishes
Lesley

p.s. you will need that carrot cake!!

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Thank you very much for all that, Lesley.
It's much appreciated and I will follow your advice.

The carrot cake sounds an excellent idea! :)

Best wishes,
Meg
Main family lines are Harpers from Midlothian, Fife & Kinross-shire, and Dobies/Dobbies from Midlothian. Also Strathearn, Stobie, Layden and Downie.

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Lesley,

It took me a while but I got there in the end! Thank goodness I asked for advice as I'd have found myself in a real mess when I got to NAS! There is certainly a huge number of documents in each reference which I hadn't appreciated until you pointed it out - so a huge thank you again for that.
It all seems to have been digitised so will I be able to copy any information I find? Or download to a memory stick? Can't seem to find out from the site.

I start my annual (fortunately my son has opted for a 5th year at uni!) trip north tomorrow. This may well be the last one as I can't really justify the expense except for taking him back up! Hopefully the graduation visit may be a longer one but I will be accompanied on that one!

Best wishes,
Meg