nimmo

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

dapter

nimmo

Post by dapter » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:11 am

Hi, after help i have my 4xg grandfather Thomas Nimmo born about 1761 death ? married to a janet galloway i can't find thomas's parents he had a son Robert who was married to janet carnochan, can anyone help wit thomas's ancestors thanks dapter

Russell

Re: nimmo

Post by Russell » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:11 am

Hi Dapter and a warm welcome to TalkingScot [scotland-flag]

You have done well getting back to the 1760's. The OPR (Old Parish Records) become ever more difficult to find additional information in and some reords are either missing or never existed in the first place.

Could you give us some idea of where we need to look and any information you have on siblings of Thomas and Janet. sometimes naming patterns and/or slightly more informative OPR entries can help in a search.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:48 pm

Have you looked his marriage entry just in case it gives his father's name?

Regards,
Annette

dapter

Post by dapter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:12 am

hi russell, robert nimmo 1789 born in maybole ayrshire so i think that maybe thomas around the same area dally or something rings a bell ??,his wife janet carnochan around kirkswald i saw records on them in family search.org, there is one on thomas saying a robert was his father and another saying robert's father was another robert, i thought that archibald nimmo born 1720 might have been thomas's father ?? does this help any and thanks for viewing my post
i also see you are searching the johnston name, my wife has a thomas johnston born 1598 in craig aberdeenshire in her tree could this name mean anything to you thanks again dapter

dapter

Post by dapter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:20 am

hi annette, i have not found any marriage documents regards dapter

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:10 am

Hi Dapter
Like you I use family search.org to bring up possibles but use their information as a guide rather than accept it as proof of an event. I need firm written evidence from original documentation before I will add another generation to my tree. Annette was hinting at this too. All too often OPR entries indicate only the date(s) when the Banns were called offering no conclusive proof of when, or if, the wedding took place. Many Ayrshire Banns/marriage entries mention the father's name but no mother's name and only give additional information on the father if he was a landowner or established tradesman.
Getting back to the 1500's has the added complication of records being written in some modified form of Secretaries Hand which leaves it open to misinterpretation.
To change topic - My Johnstons are on my wife's side of the family and - like so many other Scots researchers - their origins are forever lost in the great gaps in Irish records. Frustrating but an on-going challenge.
Your surname Nimmo is not too common so now you have posted, the wonders of Google search might flush out others on the same trail, not to mention galvanising some of our avid researchers into looking for burial records, census entries (some ministers did their own census of parishioners way before the formal census process was established :o ) Kirk Session records.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:26 am

dapter wrote:hi annette, i have not found any marriage documents regards dapter
A long shot but since Robert was born at Dailly in 1789 I think this could be the marriage of Thomas and Janet Galloway.

Thomas Nimmo
Scotland, Marriages, 1561-1910
marriage: 20 September 1787 Dailly, Ayr, Scotland
spouse: Jean Galla

There are 3 other Nimmo marriages in the batch but quite a big gap so maybe not siblings of Thomas. I've tried to find them and their families on census records but not having much luck so far.
Agnes Nimmo
marriage: 14 January 1800 Dailly, Ayr, Scotland
spouse: John Scott

Jane Nimmo
marriage: 30 January 1804 Dailly, Ayr, Scotland
spouse: John Nicholson

Alexander Nimmo
marriage: 2 September 1803 Dailly, Ayr, Scotland
spouse: Marion Thomson