Park Circus Glasgow

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

neleh_22

Park Circus Glasgow

Post by neleh_22 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:05 pm

Hi, Does anyone know if the records at Park Circus for Births Marriages and Deaths include East Lothian or do I have to go to Edinburgh to get them. I'm sure someone told me they were going to be added this year.I am going on Thursday 24th November.
Thanks Helen
Whitelaw,Hall,Kennedy,Gorman,Folan McLaughlan

Jack

Re Park Circus Glasgow

Post by Jack » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:35 pm

Hi Helen,
Yes, you'll be able to see them as digital images - through the computer link-up to NRH Edinburgh.
But if they are difficult to read then Park Circus won't have the microfiche outwith the Strathclyde area to help (sometimes the fiche is clearer).
This page gives what they have -
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... ogyCentre/
--
One snag is you can't use *wildcards* like you can on Scotlandspeople - surnames are as they are on the GROS index.
So if you have names with a variety of spellings then you may have problems tracing them.
But if they are in Strathclyde area there are name indexes for each year on fiche to look at.

Enjoy your visit - lucky you!

Jack

nelmit

Park Circus

Post by nelmit » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:07 pm

Good advice from Jack.

If you haven't searched at Park Circus before then be prepared to search by year. I found it quite a bit of getting used to when I went there in the summer (plan to go back in December).

Annette M

neleh_22

Post by neleh_22 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:23 am

Thanks Jack and Annette I have been twice but can't seem to get organised when i'm there, I know what i'm going for but when I get there I seem to get sidetracked into looking something else up. I'll have to try and stick to my original plan this time.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:27 pm

neleh_22 wrote:Thanks Jack and Annette I have been twice but can't seem to get organised when i'm there, I know what i'm going for but when I get there I seem to get sidetracked into looking something else up. I'll have to try and stick to my original plan this time.
I know the feeling!! :lol:

I think it's the child locked in a sweetie shop syndrome.

Annette M

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:50 pm

Just a wee comment on the thread.......... in the sense of wildcards on DIGROS.... the problem is the capacity of the NRH 'puter, along with the severe constraints placed on GROS as regards both inside and outside alterations to New Register House ........

Wildcards on DIGROS are on the NRH wish list, but are probably some years away.

David

Miss Poohs

Post by Miss Poohs » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:09 am

Ohhh I just asked about this on General chat - I'd like to visit to see what I can find.

Would you recommend it?
Beveridge, Bonnar, Burns,Candlin, Colquhoun, Dewar,Graham,Hislop,Jackson & Robertson.
Martin & Nelson - all Liverpool
Allison, Beaton, MacLean, McLuskie & Todd.
Grant, McEwan, McLean & Syme.

neleh_22

Post by neleh_22 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:06 am

Hi, Had a good day at Park Circus today got a lot of information it's a lot quicker now looking for births marriages and deaths I even had a look at the census which I had not tried before. I will be booking another visit as soon as I can manage it. I thought it was brilliant and would recommend it. Looking forward to my next visit.

Helen