Future Genealogists

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

momat

Future Genealogists

Post by momat » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:05 am

With so many people now living in unmarried BLISS and Civil Unions etc;
where will the future Genealogists find the data that we now find on MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES.
Wont all that be lost to them :( :( :(
Maureen

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:17 am

Yes I couldn't agree more.I believe very strongly in marriage & the sanctity of the vows-not a PC thing to say.It has been the basis for a stable society for many centuries.
As I seek out my ancestors I realise that many off them were married for sixty years & more.I know that society frowned on divorce & that women did not have the economic& legal freedom to do as they wished.I would not tell anyone(I didn't!) stay in an unhappy marriage but I do feel that sometimes we throw in the towel too easily(again I am talking about myself!)
I think that Birth registartion should have more info on it than at present to take in the fact that so many parents aren't married-maybe a Grandparents Register or something :lol:
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

wini

Future Genealogists,

Post by wini » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:03 am

How about the children
Betty Smith-Jones marries Bob McTavish-McDonald
Their children then become.
Susie & Bertie Smith -Jones McTavish Mcdonald.
They will need about three pages to fit everything in
The mind boggles.
wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

karenmcc

Post by karenmcc » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 am

I'd just like point out that many of my ancesters were not properly married. So it is not something that is new. I myself am not married, but in the eyes of the law I am (defacto). I think that the paper trail we will leave for our descendants will be more than enough, as we seem to have to produce so many forms of ID for just the simplest things these days, whereas our ancesters obviously didn't even have to show a birth cert to get married so therefor could have put down any old name for their parents, which I am sure a few of mine have.

Karen
Lochiel, McKinlay, McGibbon/McCubbin, Cunningham, McDougall, Burnside - Lanarkshire->Ayrshire.
Hay, Hannah, - Kirkcudbright.
McIntosh, McQuaters/McWatters, White, - Kilmarnock
Murdoch, Hope, McMillan - Muirkirk

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:34 pm

Most of the younger generations in my family are married, but the women are all known by their birth names. The children seem to alternate their surnames between husband and wife. No-one seems to be using hyphenated names. Based on census data there could be much confusion in the future.

No doubt they will sort it out somehow :D

Trish

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:56 pm

Yep that's what I did went from Miss to Mrs though.I was following the tradition of the Middle East where I was married/living.Women there retrain their names similarly to the Scottish tradition.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:17 pm

Hi Everyone

Since the 'powers that be' anounced today that ID cards will be introduced in the UK we will all be electronically trackable by future generations - the ID cards are supposed to have a microchip which will contain a variety of data about us. Perhaps we should make sure we include a GEDCOM file with our tree - surnames won't matter much by then !!

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

momat

Post by momat » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:45 pm

Well then BIG BROTHER will be watching us.!!!!!!!!!

We will then have no confusion over names as naming patterns will disappear in the future as we will all have NUMBERS.

007 to the front please or will that be 99.
. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was not critisizing those who are in other forms of relationshios only stating a fact.
Each to their own.
Maureen

donnamccubbin

Re: Future Genealogists

Post by donnamccubbin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:34 pm

I have just very recently began researching my family history and finding it very confusing.Some ancestors were nice enough to leave a perfectly tidy papertrail and I have been able to piece together stories of certain individuals lifes through cencus records.Some however didn't do things "properly" and the trail ends(or seems to) with them.

I have realised too that I am probably a future geneologists nightmare.

I didn't get along with my father so took my mothers maiden name as soon as I was legally allowed to(aged 16) although this is now annoted on my original birth certificate.
I have had 2 children who both have my surname and not their fathers and eventually married their father but did not take his name.This I know will be confusing to future generations.

Also in modern times we do not use ancestors surnames as middle names so there will be no additional clues there for future family heritage hunters.

Perhaps though if things like facebook are still around in the future our ggggrandchildren may be able to look us up and read about every tiny detail of our day to day life without having to trawl through old records like we have to.

LesleyB

Re: Future Genealogists

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi Donna
..And welcome to Talking Scot :D
Also in modern times we do not use ancestors surnames as middle names
Some of us do!! I named my children with surnames as middle names (along with traditional "family" first names) and my daughter has recently done the same with her baby son. I'm sure many of us who are into our family history carry on this tradition along with many others who maybe do not have the family history interest, but who nevertheless also perpetuate the family surnames in naming their children, so all is not lost! :wink:

Best wishes
Lesley