new 3-day free Ancestry.com access offer

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:53 pm

When i click the link above i get a page that says the usual "sign up for 14 days free access" - i dont get a red button mid screen or "already have an account" but i do get the "login" at the top of the screen but that wont accept my usual password :?
I could do with a peek at Ancestry right now :roll:
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Lizzie

Post by Lizzie » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:52 pm

Yes Tracey, that is exactly what happens to me. I suspect some are being treated differently to others here. We all click into the same address and get a different response. The plot thickens, and one wonders what is really going on here?

Lizzie

nancy

Post by nancy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:53 pm

So do I Tracey :x Thought I was doing something wrong!
Nancy

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:45 am

Lizzie wrote:Yes Tracey, that is exactly what happens to me. I suspect some are being treated differently to others here. We all click into the same address and get a different response. The plot thickens, and one wonders what is really going on here?

Lizzie
From much experience on a number of websites, genealogical and other, it's obvious that websites can determine the origin of folk logging on, at least on the continental level, so that someone logging on from N America will receive a different response to someone logging on from Europe, or, equally, Australasia :!: :!: [5 cups] [5 cups]

In the case of Ancestry and the ever increasing number of national sites, e.g. Ancestry.co.uk, and Ancestry.ca , you can see that the repsonse could vary according to the origin of the login .........

David

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:44 am

DavidWW wrote:[
From much experience on a number of websites, genealogical and other, it's obvious that websites can determine the origin of folk logging on, at least on the continental level, so that someone logging on from N America will receive a different response to someone logging on from Europe, or, equally, Australasia :!: :!: [5 cups] [5 cups]

In the case of Ancestry and the ever increasing number of national sites, e.g. Ancestry.co.uk, and Ancestry.ca , you can see that the repsonse could vary according to the origin of the login .........

David
This reasoning also caused me to have a look (prior to my original post) at the given locations for David Douglas (Denmark) and Linda Malpass (BC, Canada) who are gaining access, while Lizzie and I are in Ontario, Tracey is in England and Nancy is in Scotland, and we are not gaining access.

I'm getting to AncestryLibrary.com (through the posted link) but I get the message 'Sorry, we were unable to authenticate you', and like the others, I'm not seeing the red button. I've also tried to log on from a UK address to no avail.

Also, just on Monday, June 12, Ancestry sent me an e-mail confirming all my data and it all fits with what I've entered.

So the best I can say, good hunting for those who were lucky enough to make the 'right' connections.

Frances

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:35 am

It's a COOKIES thing. Delete all your Ancestry cookies and then retry the site. If you're desperate delete all your cookies. Worked for me.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:14 am

Welcome Currie [talkingscot]

Thanks for jumping in to try to solve the puzzle, but deleting ALL my cookies, ALL my temporary internet files, turning off my pop-up blocker AND doing a re-boot didn't change anything. :cry:

I'm sure I'll get another chance at it - maybe it's the genealogist genie at work, and I'm not intended to get a freebie until a few more 'vital' records have been added to help with my searches.

Hope you'll come back often and join in.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:27 am

Thanks for the welcome Frances.

When I first tried the link I arrived at the ‘14 day trial’ page but after deleting my cookies the ‘3 Free days’ page came up right away and I received those using my usual logon.

Since then I’ve tried accessing the ’3 Day’ page using the same method without success.

Have tried XP with Firefox, Ubuntu Linux with Firefox and even a Puppy Linux Live CD with Sea Monkey. Have turned my router on and off so I would have a different IP address. Nothing seems to work.

It doesn't seem to be anything to do with Cookies or the Operating System or the Browser. Could be a lottery thing, every tenth person or whatever.

If someone can get the ‘3 Day’ page it might be helpful if they post the URL address of that specific page.

Alan

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:20 pm

It may be that David Douglas and Linda Malpass just happened to have signed up just in the nick of time and the rest of us missed the open window.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:29 am

Some friends of mine who live in UK told me about it, but like a lot of you I got told I had already had the free time so bad luck son.
As far as deleting cookies is concerned I did that not too long ago so that didnt make a difference. Still got the on yer bike son :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson