robert mitchell - detroit

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

utrecht3

robert mitchell - detroit

Post by utrecht3 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:58 pm

at last I have found a death certificate for an uncle who was killed in Detroit. the cert. gives his address as 4262 w fort st. Detroit
I believe he died on a lift accident 18 feb 1937 caused by crushing to chest and abdomen He worked at the Detroit Leland hotel
however in the box husband or wife of.is the name of \\\\\\\garnet Allen. at this point I am lost.could anyone help or advise anything on this Lady

Currie

Re: robert mitchell - detroit

Post by Currie » Sat May 27, 2017 11:35 am

Hello Utrecht,

Here's your original post about your Uncle. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14540&hilit=detroit

4262 W Fort St appears to be the large vacant block. https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/42 ... 48!6m1!1e1

Escanaba Daily Press, Friday, February 19, 1937, Escanaba, Michigan
FALLS TO DEATH Detroit, Feb. IS. (ZP) Robert Mitchell, 30, hotel employee, fell to his death today when he opened an elevator shaft door to polish brass fixtures in the lift, which had been moved to another floor.

I suspect that's all there is. Maybe there's a death or funeral notice in that newspaper or later that mentions family. There appears to be a 7 day trial but not sure how it works.
https://newspaperarchive.com/tags/?psi= ... -mitchell/

Your keyboard seems to have gone a bit haywire. Was the ladies full name Garnet Allen?
Was your Uncle in the USA at Census time 1930? Any sign of of Garnet in the 1940 or previous Census?

Hope that helps,
Alan

utrecht3

Re: robert mitchell - detroit

Post by utrecht3 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:36 pm

hullo Alan, No I couldn't find anything on a 1930 census. I mentioned this to my sister who remembers years ago our grandmother (mother to Robert ) giving a brooch to her with a Garnet stone in it.I am going to try Escanaba daily press archives perhaps I will be lucky there.You have been a help to me so far ,many thanks I will let you know if I find more. Also sorry for the delay. House decorating, you know the story !! alex