Duncan McDonald

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

bleckie

Duncan McDonald

Post by bleckie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:15 pm

Good afternoon

I am trying to find details of Duncan McDonald born 3 February 1891 in Muthil Perthshire who arrived in the US March 26 1911 aboard the MV Caledonia.

He is the son of James McDonald and Jane Anderson.

Family rumour has it that he also had a brother James (born 6 Aug 1873) who emigrated to the US although it may be that he finished up in Canada.

many thanks

BruceL

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:46 pm

Hi Bruce,

A parent search on the online IGI shows JAMES McDONALD born 06-Aug-1873 in Blackford, Perthshire. His birth certificate should be available on ScotlandsPeople.

Have you been able to trace this family through the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses? And also Duncan's birth certificate should be available on ScotlandsPeople. Given the years between, the censuses may show some other children to this couple.

All the best,

AndrewP

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi Andrew

I have chapter and verse on this family apart from Duncan who went to america. This is my mothers family, she remembers getting presents from either America or Canada as a young child (she is now 85 years old) a long time ago, I was hoping that someone across the pond could maybee throw some light on the missing family.

yours aye

bruceL

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi Bruce,

Here's a possible Duncan on the 1920 census.

938 North Calvert(?) Street, Baltimore City, Maryland
Duncan McDonald, 28,born Scotland, Foreman in Construction, immigrated 1911
Gladys, wife, 22, born Ohio
Alexander, 8 months, born Maryland

Regards,
Anne H

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Bruce

You're in luck! A peek at Duncan's immigration proves your rumour of a brother. His final destination when arriving on 27 Mar 1911 was Stamford Connecticut......to see his brother James McDonald, Blythewood, Palmers Hill, Stamford, Connecticut.

I did a quick look on the 1910 census but didn't find James (yet!).....but there he surely is in 1920 living on Warsaw Street in Stamford which is on the same enumerators sheet as those folks living on Palmers Hill! These are the details on James in 1920...

James McDonald, male, white, age 42, married, immigrated in 1901, citizenship pending, b. Scotland, parents both b. Scotland, occ: machinist
Christine, wife, female, white, age 42, married, immigrated in 1900, citizenship pending, b. Scotland no occupation
James Jr. son, male, white, age 8, single, b. Connecticut
Helen E. dau, female, white, age 5, single, b. Connecticut

I realize the age is a bit off for this James but the odds of finding one near the same address and with all the other facts fitting I think he may be the right one.

What do you think?

Best wishes
Jean

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Oh almost forgot....in case you haven't seen Duncan's immigration paper...it states his occupation was "groom" and he was 5'6" tall with fresh complexion, fair hair, and grey eyes.

Best wishes
Jean

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi Bleckie:

http://www.ellisisland.org

SS Caledonia sailed from Glasgow, 18th March 1911 arrived New York, 26 March 1911
Duncan Mcdonald, 20 yr., Male, Single, Occupation - Groom
Able to read and write. Mother Mrs. Jane MacDonald, Willoughby St., Mythill
Final Destination: Brother James Macdonald, Blythewood, Palmers Hill, Stamford, Connecticut
Height - 5' 6", Fresh complexion, fair hair and grey eyes.
He had $25. and travelled 2nd cabin.

I haven't been able to locate him in the 1920 census, but in the 1930 census there is a Duncan who emigrated to the US in 1911 - matching with your Duncan's arrival. Duncan (39) is a chauffeur and lives in Fairfield, Stamford, Connecticut with wife Bridget and sons James F. - 8 and Robert.

I'll send you the complete document by e-mail.

Frances

bleckie

duncan macdonald

Post by bleckie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:51 am

Many thanks to you all

this is the two brother's I have been searching for. It would appear that the family information I had was partially correct, I was alway's told that they emigrated to the US together.
I will now have to learn a whole lot of new skills for searching in America

once again

many thank to you all
TS triumphms again

your aye

brucel

bleckie

Re: Duncan McDonald

Post by bleckie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi All

I thought I would give you a update on this post.

Last week out of the blue I received contact on another site from the Grand Daughter of James McDonald.

The post on the other site had been up there as long as this one (So never lose heart)
Yours Aye
BruceL

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Duncan McDonald

Post by paddyscar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Always nice to hear of connections made, no matter how long you wait. I've had instances where I've been told 'not my family', only to be contacted further down the road verifying what I already knew. Sometimes it takes a while for others to catch up or correct their information.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow