Robert Oliver in pennsylvania in 1880 census .....

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

maggie

Robert Oliver in pennsylvania in 1880 census .....

Post by maggie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:56 am

Hello
i am looking for information on a Robert Oliver born in Scotland in 1837/1838 who left scotland sometime after his marriage in 1867 to a Jane Crichton and the birth of his son Samuel and moved to America from poor relief records for his brother i got the information that he was a blacksmith in America but on the IGI 1880 census i can find a Robert Oliver with a wife Jane and a son Samuel in 5th ward Pittston Luzerne Pennsylvania who's ages tie in and birthplace as Scotland with my information though not Robert's occupation which is given as a sewing machine agent.can anyone suggest where i could look for this family in later years or how to trace their journey to America i have tried Ellisisland but couldn't see any matches.
the 1880 lists a 2nd child called James age 6 who was born in PA.
any pointers on where i could look for this family would be appreciated regards maggie

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:38 pm

Hi Maggie

I looked on the 1900 US census for Marcy Township, Luzerne, PA which was enumerated on 9 June 1900.

Oliver, Robert H. Jan 1839 (DOB) is still employed as a Machinist
Oliver, Jane Jan 1842 (DOB)
Oliver, James W. Apr 187? (DOB but age also stated clearly as 25) He is single and born PA and works as a coal miner laborer.

Robert and Jane have been married 39 years. She further states she has borne 5 children only 1 of which is living. Year of immigration is 1872 and Robert is Naturalized.

Does this data help?

Best wishes
Jean

maggie

Robert Oliver in Pennsylvania

Post by maggie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:44 pm

Hello Jean
many thanks for replying to my message it sounds like this could possibly be them .i have had a look at their actual marriage cert again and it was the 21st of Febuary 1862 that they married in Glasgow and not 67 that i had entered in my notes.so the info of 39 yrs is quite near.
i wonder what the H stands for in robert's name i don't have a surname in the family beginning with that letter until many many years later when a surname of Haldane was uesd as a Christian name.On his wedding cert his occupation is given as a engine fitter so that could tie in with sewing machines as on the 1880 and also with your info of a machinist .
thankyou once again Jean
regards maggie