Evelyn G Miles

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish1

Re: Evelyn G Miles

Post by trish1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:21 am

Dear Alan

"Hope that's useful" - slightly an understatement!

I know much of the Miles History - The father of Frederick, grandfather of Hugh, was the Stud groom at Cumberland Lodge - working there for over 50 years - he received a "right royal" funeral - He was the brother of my gg grandfather & his wife the sister of my gg grandmother. Hugh's mother was the only girl in a family of 10 children & her father was the School master for many years at the Royal School Windsor - presumably how they all met.

But about Evelyn - only her name on the census and being born in USA.

I shall now go and study your amazing information

thank you so much

Trish

PS Just for interest - Hugh Warren Miles birth was registed in Edmonton & he was baptised at St Mary, Hornsey Rise. The family lived in London. Mother Annie may have gone to Windsor to be with her parents when he was born. I shall see what matches in the story. Might have to buy the birth certificate to check - but could be like many of my family stories - not quite correct. (Census 1891, 1901 has him born in London)

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:59 am

1880 census has an Evelyn Galt age 7 (original age at marriage if my lass) born NY, daughter of John and Evaline. No sign of a Norman in this family.

1880 also has a Norman Galt age 16 born Washington DC - son of Mathew Galt - dealer in Watches and Jewelry - who appears to be the Norman who married the wife to be of the President. No sign of an Evelyn in this family.

1901 shows
Norman Galt head 36 born Dist of C Jeweller
Edmonia Galt wife 27 born Virginia
Bolling J B bro in law 18
(so Edith Bolling Galt I think)

Many a person has been known to make up family history stories to show relationships to famous folks. In the pre internet days they tended to be difficult to disprove. Not sure how I can prove that the above Evelyn is the one I wish to find?

Trish

momat

Post by momat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 am

Hi Trish,
If the President is WOODROW WILSON his wife is EDITH GALT
and you can find them on this site http://www.footnote.com
There is even a photo of them both .
You can do a free search.

Cheers.
Maureen

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 pm

momat wrote:Hi Trish,
If the President is WOODROW WILSON his wife is EDITH GALT
and you can find them on this site http://www.footnote.com
There is even a photo of them both .
You can do a free search.

Cheers.
Hi Maureen

That was the President mentioned by Alan - but Edith had been previously married - to Norman Galt. As I understand from the Wiki article her maiden name was Bolling (So unless Evelyn was born Bolling and also married a Galt, she would not be a sister to Edith). There is a picture of her there as well and she was named Edith Bolling Galt Wilson in the wiki item.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Wilson

I hope I have that right - I don't know too much about the US Presidents between Abe Lincoln & FDR :? Not too bad after FDR - our culture slowly veered towards the US after WWII

Thank you for your interest - it is an interesting little puzzle.

Trish

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi all,

Well, I thought I had finally found her in Canada, the daughter of Sir Alexander Tilloch Galt, but that one (I think!) ended up marrying Arthur R Springett and living out her life apparently in Canada. The record that sent me off on this trail is the following, which is still not explained by further research :!:

In March 1897, on the ship Brittania arriving in Liverpool, there this interesting family of "Foreigners":
May Galt, 30, no occupation
Evelyn Galt, 22, no occupation
Evelyn P Galt, 3, child

In 1914 Maryon Galt, 21 and Evelyn Galt 20 arrived in NY from Liverpool. They are on the way to visit their father in Winnipeg (John Galt 221 Roslyn Road)
The year before, Evelyn (then age 22!) made the same voyage.

The 1913 and 1914 records are of the younger Evelyn in the first passenger list, who is the daugter of John Galt and Mabel Patton Henderson. John is the son of Sir Alexander Tilloch Galt, Canadian Minister of Finance and other important positions (lots of biographical info on him available). The family was in England in 1881, with a daughter Evelyn C, age 15 :roll: So I really thought I was onto something here.

To cut a long story short, I think I found Evelyn C(artier) Galt's marriage in Alberta, Canada to Arthur R. Springett in 1893 and there they are still apparently married in Canada in 1901 and 1911 :? She says she was born April 1866 in Quebec. She names her first daughter Amy. So that seems to take care of the Evelyn Galt daughter of Sir Alexander*... but then who in the world was the Evelyn Galt age 22 who went to England with May and wee Evelyn in 1897? I'm confused...

Going insane here, so if anyone else wants to try this I think I'll go walk the dog and get some fresh air :shock:

Sarah

*Later: Yep, just google "evelyn cartier galt" and you'll see that there is no doubt it was she :?

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi Sarah

Many thanks for the interest - I hope the walk clears the head - when I saw the name Galt I must admit to remembering the John of "Atlas Shrugged" the only other time I have come across that name.

Apart from the story that Alan found - which has some dubious "facts" there is no real knowledge that the surname was Galt - but with no other options it does seem worth following.

If the 1920 census is my Evelyn, unless she was living with the family as other than a "housekeeper" I cannot see that she came from a wealthy family - I tried to find her in 1930 with a different name - but no success. The age that keeps varying is confusing. My real interest in the family was related to her father-in-law but once I found out that she existed, just can't help trying to track her down.

Frederick's first wife died in 1892, he had a sister (and inlaws) who may have helped with the children, but I was thinking he may have remarried before 1897 - most times in those days widowers seemed to remarry quickly (childcare needed), but the only "fact" is that they were together in 1901 - so the 22 year old in 1897 looks very interesting, despite another age variation.

I just looked at those trips - the 22 year old from 1897 doesn't seem to travel again - which could imply a different name - or she settled in UK (or the trip records didn't survive) - I cannot find an Evelyn Galt marrying in England/Wales - there are only 27 people called Galt who married there 1891-1901 - not a common name in England.
Trish

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Wow!

My head is spinning just reading everything that was posted after I logged off last evening!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm loving this it's better than an Agatha Christie.
I have Gaults in my lineage & they mainly seem to originate in Ayrshire /Ireland.
Could the other Evelyn Gault be a cousin or sister-in-law did Alexander have any likely sons?
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Trish,

I've been looking at the family from the 1880 census with John and Evaline Galt as parents of Evelyne age 7 in hopes that she might have stayed with one of them in 1910 and just been mistranscribed. Well, I got the mistranscribed part right, but no Evelyn. In 1900, the family is living on Liberty St. in Newburgh, NY. with just Grace and Percival still at home with John and Evaline who is Evelyn this year. In 1910, it looks like John might be out in California, but here's Evaline with daughter Minnie (Ward) and grandson John.

1910 United States Federal Census 1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Adamus Fast
[Adalines Galt]
Age in 1910: 65
Estimated birth year: abt 1845
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: England
Mother's Birth Place: England
Home in 1910: Newburgh Ward 3, Orange, New York
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Adamus Fast 65
Minnie Ward 57
[37]
John Ward 17
Mary Cramton 16
Mary Skoda 19

Can't imagine how you could be having trouble finding Evelyn in these records! :o

Evaline and Minnie and John are still at the same Liberty St. address as 1900. In 1920, Evaline and Grace are in Brookline, Massachusetts.

Have you checked the 1911 census for England yet?

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Some hours ago I wrote up a summary of the census and shipping details for Evelyn, that may have been the one I am looking for - and as it was almost finished my computer locked up :roll: so I pressed the off switch & went for a walk (no dog).

Adamus Fast was a name that Agatha Christie may have used if she had been around to study the census of 1910!

It seems that the 1880 census aged 7 may be Evaline - provided her last name is Galt. The family seemed to regularily have some servants with them so they may be related to some well known Galt families, but with these transcriptions (and the writing was ghastly) it may take some time to find.

I cannot find the family (or Evelyn) in England for 1891 but is there for 1901, yet a marriage cannot be found in England. She travelled to the US in 1905, travelled to Liverpool in 1908 and returned to the US shortly afterwards.

The deaths at sea and/or marine deaths returned no details for the death of Frederick Miles, nor can I find Evelyn on the 1911 census - but I have found all the children of Frederick & she is not with them. I think the lady found as a housekeeper in 1920 is probably Evelyn. Cannot see her in 1930 - perhaps she remarried.

There are discrepancies in the census but not major, 1920 she says her parents were born in NY - but from 1880 they were born elsewhere. As they lived in NY she could well have assumed they were born there.

You have all found much more than I was thinking could be found - so many thanks

Trish