Bertram Morris - Canada

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tracey
Global Moderator

Bertram Morris - Canada

Post by Tracey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:38 pm

http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... ly1920.jpg

I am starting this under Canada as i have a few questions about him there (quite and exciting find for us !).
Can anyone tell me where his birth place is as on the above form please ?.
I cant find anywhere so far that looks or sounds like it in England. His marriage in Canada states he was born in England.
I am begining to wonder if the place name is actually in Canada but googling what the name looks like doesnt bring back any place name - for me.

Hope the link works (photbuckets a new experience for me !)
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Russell

Re: Bertram Morris - Canada

Post by Russell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi Tracey

Awful writing but I wondered if the place was Audubon (misspelled!) and there is a place called Borough of Audubon in New Jersey. A possibility unless someone can come up with a better guess.
I reckon it will have to be an inspired guess as there are insufficient other capital letters to make comparisons.

Fingers crossed for a few more clever (inspirational) guesses once folks come on-line.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi Tracey,

I think it's Ruabon (Wrexham, Wales) and if you look on FreeBMD there seems to be apossiblity at about the right time.

Best wishes,
Meg
Main family lines are Harpers from Midlothian, Fife & Kinross-shire, and Dobies/Dobbies from Midlothian. Also Strathearn, Stobie, Layden and Downie.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:53 pm

Russell you have no idea how happy that would make us if we finally found that connection to New Jersey !

Meg you could be right but the one on freebmd i think leads back to parents Thomas and Sarah (thinking off the cuff here) But, i did then find a Herbert Morris on the 1901 census for Wales. The Bertram i am looking for has parents Francis and Annie and this Herbert is the closest so far.

Ok, from the top..............

My great Aunt (who lived in Aberdeen) went to Canada 1921, got married and had a son there. Until Ancestry updated some records very recently there was no actual evidence to say this happened 100% but although it was very highly likely to have done.

She worked for Wilhelmina Gordon (impressive lady !)in Kingston Ontario who it appears paid her passage.

I found her marriage to Bertram Morris in 1922 in Kingston Ontario.He states his age as 25 and parents as Francis Morris and Annie Wright. He says he was born in England and he is a Vetinary Dentist.

Then I found the death of a son Donald Bertram in Frontenac Kingston in June 1924 who appears to die at birth but the fathers name is omitted from the certificate and gt aunts home address is given as one in Aberdeen.

Gt Aunt then arrives back in Scotland August 1924 on her own.

Now, i may have found Bertram on the 1901 census (havnt checked 1911 yet) I have found him on Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A), 1919-1924 as Bertrand but there as yet is no corresponding passenger list on A... to give me more information.

Name: Bertrand Morris
Estimated birth year: abt 1895
Birth Place: Budbon
Date of Arrival: Aug 1920
Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Metagama

And also a possible 1917 list to the U.S with i think final destination Canada where he is stamped as a Diplomat - Occupation Vetry (?) employed by Army (?)

What i really would like to do is get some idea as to why he isnt mentioned on his sons death and find out what happened to him.

its been so long since i have found someone to *get my teeth into* so to speak ive half forgotton what to do !

Relevent certs here ( i hope)
http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... %20Morris/

Tracey
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

momat

Post by momat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 am

Hi Tracey,
As he was a Vet and the two traveling with him were the same I would think he would be registered/licensed somewhere.
After his signature it looks like DVS.(Doctor Veterinary Surgery)?
As to his address on Passenger declaration
221 Clarence Street LONDON ONT ( presumably Ontario) Place of birth could it be Ruxton ?
He is stating that he is of English Race rather than Native Canadian, not actually saying he is English.

Cheers,
Maureen

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:50 am

Hi Tracey,
If you download page 2 of the 1917 ship manifest, you'll see he says he was born in Shrewsbury, England and is going to Newport News, Virginia (probably with the Navy). There is a birth in Oswestry District, Shropshire in 4th quarter of 1891, which fits his age on the 1917 ship manifest (I think he stretched the truth a bit on his marriage cert). Oswestry is less than 10 miles from Ruabon.

Frank Morris married Annie Wright in 3rd quarter 1890 in Wrexham District, Denbighshire

I know this doesn't answer your question about what happened to him... but it's a few more details :D

Regards,
Sarah

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:58 am

Hi Tracey:

I searched the 1911 census and couldn't find Bertram/Bertrand/Burtram/Bartram Morris. I even tried reversing the names (happens to me alot) http://automatedgenealogy.com

From the declaration, I would think it likely that Bertram was born in Canada, as section6 identifies that he is 'returning home'. Section 7 is not filled in, other than his home address, and no previous entry or departure is noted. Section 8 says he was on a visit, and not explanation is given.
Section 17 doesn't identify his origin, not does it identify one way or another any of the health issues that would have been demanded of an immigrant.
# 11 English refers to the language spoken, not nationality.

My laptop is going to die ... I will try to get more info.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:45 am

... I couldn't find any settlement name Audubon. http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php I also tried Ruabon, Audbon, Runbon - no joy.

I notice on the passenger form, that he was 25 in 1920, born in Ruabon. He's also 25 two years later when he marries. He states his was born in England.

The final document titled 1901 Wales - I take it that it is the census for 1901? If that is so, this Francis (30) and Annie (29) are missing Bertram aged 6 - could he have been with another relative on census night? The place is St. Mary, Ruabon, Wales.

I don't think there is anything helpful in my observations.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Hi Tracey
Seeing that he gave his residence as Montreal at the time of the marriage, I went googling and found a Bert Morris, described in 1931 as a veterinary surgeon in St Laurent which i believe is in Montreal .
http://news.google.co.uk/newspapers?id= ... fire&hl=en

This story mentions that he kept about 125 dogs , and in the Montreal City directories , he does not appear as a veterinary surgeon, rather as an owner of the Bois Franc Dog Kennels, 107 St Mathieu, Ville St Laurent.
http://bibnum2.banq.qc.ca/bna/lovell/sr ... 2_1515.pdf

In later years, the Morris Dog kennels were at 1180 Laurentian Boulevard - there are more references in the city directories and the Montreal Gazette ( available via Google news Archives ) . From the latter it appears he was also a noted race horse owner. After 1966 , I couldn't see any more references in either of the above.

Of course I have no idea if it's your Bertram or not. One story in the Montreal gazette reveals that this Bert has a wife ( name not given ) .
A Bush flier was killed 50 yards from hs stables and kennels :
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=qH ... rent&hl=en

Hope these links work ok !

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Tracey,
In the database Canada, Soldiers of the First World War, 1914-1918 there is a Herbert Morris, born North Wales, England.
Next of kin: Uncle, Thomas Wright, 3 Paddock Row, Ruabon, Eng.
Date of birth 7 Dec 1892
Trade or Calling: Groom
He said he was already part of an Active Militia and has served 4 yrs in "Dembershire Eng"
The document was dated 24 Oct 1914.

The uncle's name fits with his mother's maiden name and it is not such a stretch to go from a groom to a vet in 6 years. I wonder if his parents had died by 1914 and that is why the uncle is given as contact.

All the best,
Sarah