joseph wilson

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

maggie

joseph wilson

Post by maggie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:44 pm

Hello
i am trying to piece together and prove or disprove a tale of a Joseph Wilson born Ireland 1852 going to America on the ellis island site
i have indeed found a Joseph Wilson born 1852 but the entry on ellis island is in 1911 when he is age 58 with a wife Jane travelling on the Cameronia from Londonderry arriving July 1911 and he is a US citizen i cant find him travelling before that date the address is Jersey any pointers on where to look in order to figure out if he is my man or not would be appreciated
kind regards
maggie

i can see him in the 1880 census on family search with wife Jane and a daughter in New Jersey

trish1

Re: joseph wilson

Post by trish1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 am

Hi Maggie

There are a few of that name born c. 1851 arriving in NY

viz
1870 Jul on the Holland
Jos Wilson 19 Male labourer irish to US from Liverpool and Queenstown
on the same page (but not listed together) Marie Wilson 24 Ireland to US (also looks to be listed male but hard to read)

1869 Jul 31 on the Europa from Glasgow and Moville
Joseph Wilson 18 clerk Irish to US Steerage

1872 May 20 the England Liverpool and Queenstown
Joseph Wilson 21 Waiter Irish travelling to USA

Do any match the 1880 occupation?

Trish

maggie

Post by maggie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:42 am

Hi Trish
thankyou for replying to me the Joseph i can see on family search in 1880 is a wheelwright and blacksmith
age 26 born ireland Jane his wife is 26 born Ireland and there is a daughter Lizzie age 6 borm NJ
I have no idea if this is my man or not .
kind regards
maggie

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Maggie,
As Trish said, there are a number of Joseph Wilsons born Ireland abt 1852 in the U.S. Do you know anything else about him that would help choose among them?
Just to take all of them with a birth date 1852 +/- 2 years, in 1880 there are:

1) Joseph Wilson, age 30 in Brooklyn, New York, an Engraver living with his brother Alfred (a Lithographer age 40) & family.

2) Joseph Wilson, age 29 in Jersey City, New Jersey, a Shoemaker with his wife Margaret and children (all born New York)

3) Joseph Wilson, age 28 in Parker county, Texas, with a group of Rail Road Tracklayers

4) Joseph Wilson, age 28 in Abingdon, Maryland, a farmhand at the farm of Patrick and Timothy Foley

5) Joseph Wilson, age 28 in Jersey City, New Jersey, a Blacksmith & Wheelwright living with wife Jane and daughter Lizzie

6) Joseph H Wilson, age 27 in Jackson, Tennessee, a US Postal Clerk living with wife Gertrude (born Alabama, father born Denmark, mother England) and son Charles (born Tennessee)

7) Jos Wilson, 26 in Pointe Coupee, Louisiana, a Laborer boarding with some other Irish laborers (a W Kelly and Tom Omara)

8 ) Joseph E Wilson, 26 in Cecil, Pennsylvania, a farmer with wife Vianna and daughter, both born Pennsylvania.

And these are just the ones correctly indexed! Does anything ring a bell?

The 1900 census is the first one that indicates the year of immigration, if you have some idea of that it could be useful to check.

Depending on when and where he died, his parents' names could be listed on his death certificate (if the informant knew them). This is most likely if he lived until 1910 or so at least. Often, the earlier death records just give age and reason for death.

All the best,
Sarah

maggie

Post by maggie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks Sarah
will get back to you shortley
kind regards