Mary Graham in New York 1872

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

daisyks

Mary Graham in New York 1872

Post by daisyks » Sat May 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Hello
its good to be back on the board again i have stupidly forgotton my password and all tries at contacting a moderator have failed so ive a new identity but its still me Maggie with the Olivers Yuills & McNaughtons
i'm looking for help at finding more information on a Mary Graham on family search there is a Mary Wilson marrying a David Graham New York in 1872
parents are given as a Joseph Wilson & Mary Mcnally i'm trying to find information that will prove or disprove its the Mary Wilson born 1849 that i'm looking for .I have tried looking on ellisisland for her entry into the country but with no success.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
kind regards
Maggie

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Mary Graham in New York 1872

Post by SarahND » Sun May 13, 2012 12:16 am

Hi Maggie and welcome back! Sorry you couldn't get ahold of any of us :(

In 1880 there is a Mary Graham in New York City, age 31, born Belfast, parents both born Ireland
With her are husband David Graham, a Butcher, also born in Ireland
By then they already have 4 children:
Wm John, 8
Mary A, 7
Lizzie, 5
David, 9/12

Was your Mary born in Belfast? It was certainly convenient of her to put that on the census form, instead of just "Ireland"

All the best,
Sarah

daisyks

Post by daisyks » Sun May 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Sarah
many thanks for replying to my message its appreciated hmn.... i would have expected her to have been born Killinchy or Killyleagh rather than Belfast i have her details of birth taken from a family bible Mary 12th January 1849 but its just stories that place her in America no concrete evidence im afraid stories also place her brother Joseph in America there is a piece of paper in the family bible
Joseph Wilson manufacturer of express and business wagons 502 504 & 506 Palisade Ave bowers street established 1874 Mary did have a brother Joseph Wilson born 11th december 1852 .
I have no idea who wrote these details or why it was placed in the family bible and no one still alive knows anything else about it other than it found in there (inside the bible)
thanks once again Sarah for your help it is appreciated
kindest regards
maggie
ps yes its good to be on board again

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun May 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi Maggie,
I googled the address and it seems like it is in Jersey City, New Jersey. In 1880 on Palisade Avenue in Jersey City there is a Joseph Wilson, 28, Blacksmith & Wheelwright born in Ireland. Also with him are his wife Jane, 26, also born in Ireland and his daughter Lizzie, age 6, born in New Jersey. This certainly looks like your Joseph.

All the best,
Sarah

Later: He seems to have done very well for himself because by 1910 they are living in the next street over and own their house, but have no occupation. They have another daughter, Josephine, born about 1885.

They took a trip back to Ireland in 1911

Joseph died some time between 1920 and 1930

daisyks

Post by daisyks » Mon May 14, 2012 7:53 am

Hi Sarah
many thanks for having a look for Joseph for me its appreciated ive had a quick look on ellis island for 1911 theres not too much detail on the passenger list to connect him and i cant see any suitable entry to the country information for a joseph of 1852 i will get a coffee and try to get my head around searching him out
thanks once again
kind regards
maggie

daisyks

Post by daisyks » Mon May 14, 2012 8:09 am

Hi Sarah
oh i am so stupid my apologies for taking up your precious time i have found an old post from 7 years ago where you where kind enough to try and help me with finding the same man
i'm so forgetfull these days my apologies once more
kind regards
maggie

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon May 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi Maggie,
Don't worry, I didn't remember that old post either :lol: I can't even remember where I put something 7 minutes ago...

The thing that ties it together and that you didn't mention the last time, was the piece of paper found in the bible. I'd say that clinches it since Joseph is at the same address in 1880 as that given in the paper.

All the best,
Sarah

daisyks

Post by daisyks » Mon May 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks Sarah for your understanding i know how valuable your time is with helping others
kind regards
maggie

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon May 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Here’s a bit of light reading about Joseph Wilson’s from Jersey City.

Industries of New Jersey, published 1883.
http://archive.org/stream/industriesofn ... 7/mode/2up
Joseph Wilson, Carriage and Wagon Maker, Blacksmith and Horseshoer, No. 504 Palisade Avenue. — Among the well known business men on Jersey City Heights there are none enjoying a better reputation than Mr. Joseph Wilson, the popular carriage and wagon maker, blacksmith, and horseshoer.
Mr. Wilson has a finely appointed workshop provided with every facility for the business and turns out some of the finest and most substantial work to be seen in this vicinity. He manufactures to order carriages of all kinds and also light and heavy wagons and trucks, which for durability and finish are not surpassed. The best quality of materials only are used by him and first-class workman are employed in the different departments. He also gives his attention to blacksmithing in all its branches and general jobbing and to horseshoeing, in which branch he is considered one of the best in this part of the country. Mr. Wilson came to this country from Ireland. He is an energetic, enterprising young man, thoroughly skilled in every department of his business, and has won a reputation placing him in the front rank among the reliable carriage and wagon makers in this part of the State. He is well and favorably known to the whole community and enjoys their confidence and regard in the highest degree.

New York Times, 07 July, 1880: p8.
NEW-YORK.
Joseph Wilson of Jersey City, was prostrated by the heat yesterday at No. 184 Sixth-avenue and was sent to the New-York Hospital.

New York Times, 11 September, 1893: p8.
INJURED IN A BICYCLE COLLISION.
STAPLETON. S. I., Sept. 10.—Joseph Wilson of Palisade Avenue, Jersey City, was thrown from his bicycle in Clifton this afternoon through a collision with a companion and narrowly escaped being killed.
Wilson and two or three companions were coasting down Vanderbilt Avenue when the accident occurred. The avenue is steep. Wilson lost control of his wheel, which crashed into another bicycle. Both riders were thrown to the ground. Wilson was carried to the Marine Hospital near by.
The surgeon found his collar bone and ten of his ribs fractured. He also had a deep wound on his head. He was taken to his home.

New York Times, 09 October, 1900: p14.
CARRIAGE FACTORY BURNED IN JERSEY CITY.
The carriage factory of Joseph Wilson at Palisade Avenue and Bowers Street, Jersey City Heights, was destroyed by fire at 8 o'clock last night. The building was a three-story frame, 75 by 100 feet. The loss is estimated at $25,000, and the insurance is $10,000. During the fire Charles Wagner, foreman of Engine 11, and James Frerks of the same company were caught by the falling of the north wall of the building and injured. Their hurts are not serious.

New York Times, 27 April, 1929: p16.
WILLS FOR PROBATE.
New Jersey.
Hudson County.
WILSON, JOSEPH, Jersey City, (March 26). To Widow, Jane Wilson, 412 Ogden Avenue, Jersey City. Trust Company of New Jersey, executor.

New York Times, 01 October, 1930: p58.
SALES IN NEW JERSEY.
Mrs Jane Wilson sold the two-story frame dwelling at 412 Ogden Avenue, Jersey City, to Josephine Rohloff.

Hope that’s interesting,
Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon May 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Great stuff, Alan! That's our man. Sounds like he enjoyed living dangerously. I can't find him in 1900, but the census date should be before the date of the fire, so I don't know where they were.

All the best,
Sarah