thankyou once again
kindest regards
maggie

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Mary Graham in New York 1872

Post by SarahND » Tue May 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi all,
The Josephine Rohloff to whom Jane sold the house appears to be her daughter Josephine. She is living next door to the Wilsons in 1920, the wife of Phillip Schultz, with daughters Genevieve and Dorothy. By 1930 she is living two streets up on New York Ave, with husband Charles Rohloff. The two Schultz girls are listed as his step daughters.

All the best,
Sarah

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue May 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Hello All,

Here’s Jane’s probate notice, I’m not sure what the date in brackets is, perhaps date of death. I don’t think I’ve seen an obit or any sort of personal notice yet in the NYT, maybe they bought a more local newspaper.

New York Times, 02 February, 1938: p38.
WILLS FOR PROBATE.
New Jersey.
Hudson County.
WILSON, JANE, Jersey City, (Jan. 17). To Albert Joseph Rohloff, grandson, 372 New York Ave., $500 and Masonic ring; Josephine Rohloff, daughter, same address, and Elizabeth Allison, daughter, 71 Rutherford Ave., Kearny, administratrix with will annexed, one-half residue each.

All the best,
Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue May 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks for that, Alan. It's helpful to see Elizabeth's married name and has led me on a long tangent... In case Maggie or anyone is interested, here's the story:
According to the 1920 census, Elizabeth is the wife of Wallace Allison. In 1910 he is widowed with the children, last born (Sadie) in 1905. In 1900 his wife Sarah is still living. According to an online tree, she died in 1905, just a few days after the birth of wee Sadie (whose full name was Sarah Wilson (!) Allison).

In the New Jersey births and christenings index there are three children, no first names given (possibly died as infants? In 1900 Sarah says that 3 children have already died). These are the children of Wallace Allison and Sarah WILSON… possibly a coincidence, but maybe not.

The online tree says Sarah is the daughter of William John Wilson (1840-1890) and Mary Maginnis (1859-1890). I was hoping that Sarah Wilson would be the first cousin of Elizabeth Wilson, since Maggie descends from a William John Wilson. But I think his wife was supposed to be Catherine Shaw, not Mary Maginnis, so now I'm confused again. Maybe Maggie knows who these people are.

Hope this is clear, I'm typing it in bits every time I take a break from painting the bedrooms :roll:

Sarah

daisyks

Post by daisyks » Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Hello
Thanks Alan and Sarah I can't wait for my work shift. To be over to try and get my head around all of this information josephs father also called Joseph had 2 sons called William john 1 st one born to his first wife Mary mcnally I assumed that the first William had died and that's why he named another son William john but maybes he too went oooff to America
Oh dear break is over back to work thanks once again
O

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed May 16, 2012 2:16 am

Ah, so maybe Sarah and Elizabeth WERE first cousins after all and Wallace Allison married them both. I can't wait for you to get off work and figure this out :lol:

All the best,
Sarah

daisyks

Post by daisyks » Wed May 16, 2012 10:09 am

Hello Sarah
Thankyou ever so much i'm trying desperatly to get my head around all of this information
the bible gives the following names
William John born 12th Aug 1840 (this ties in with the William john that you mention marrying Mary Magennis)
James 29th May 1842
Margaret 3rd ---- 1844
Elizabeth 26th June 1846
Mary 12 th jan 1849 story is she went to America but no details and the reason for my original posting on the board
Robert 16th June 1851 died i have his story
Joseph 11th Dec 1852 This is the Joseph you have found for me in New Jersey
David 25th June 1854
Jennie 19th March 1857 I think these two are the same person the mother is recorded as dying on March the 19th 1857 ( i have got her grave)
Jane 20th March 1857
Joseph the father of this lot married again & My man William John was born 25th December 1863 ??? now here is my problem i havent got a birth cert for him having tried & failed but i have his marriage to catherine Shaw when his age is recorded as full & his death certificate which places his birth around 1867 ,.

Ive worked out that Joseph (NEw Jersey) married a Jane Smart in 1872 Killyleagh and that Jane had a sister Mary Smart who married a Samuel Shaw so Margaret her niece in the 1930 census is her sisters child.
so father Joseph had 2 sons both called William John possibly 25 years plus apart ???? whilst 1st son William John was still alive (if the date you have found is 1890 for his death how plausible is that is the question i'm asking myself.
Can i find this online tree with these details??? i need to go get some sleep and try looking at this when my brain is functioning better
thanks once again for all of your help its so very kind of you
kindest regards
maggie

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed May 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Hello Maggie,
It looks as though only Ancestry members can see this tree. There used to be a "download gedcom" option but I don't think that still exists. If you like, I could send a contact form to the owner of the tree (who lives in New Jersey!) and see if she would like to correspond with you about this family.

All the best,
Sarah

daisyks

Post by daisyks » Wed May 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Hello Sarah
i can see the family tree your talking about but as ive only done a pay per view on the uk site i cant get in to see it so if you wouldnt mind contacting the tree ower that would be great
thanks ever so much for all the info & for devoting your valuable time to helping me
kind regards
maggie

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri May 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi Maggie,
I have just heard back from the other Wilson researcher and have sent you an email about it. Hoping to get you two together!

All the best,
Sarah