Robert Reid 1890 to 1982

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

jjlmary312

Robert Reid 1890 to 1982

Post by jjlmary312 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:57 am

Robert Reid was born in Hamilton, Lanarkshire in Scotland and he emigrated to Canada (Saskatoon) at some point in his life. He was a physiotherapist. He married someone called Lottie. Could anyone inform me where and when he married and the date. They had a son called Robert and I would be grateful if anyone could tell me when and where he was born. He died tragically at a young age and I would like to know his date of death, age and where he died. I have no relatives at this end to help me with this. I should be grateful if anyone could inform me of any information they have on Aunt Lottie. I do not have her date of birth, marriage of death and what nationally she was. Could be from Canada or America. Yours CW

LesleyB

Re: Robert Reid 1890 to 1982

Post by LesleyB » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi jjlmary312

I've moved your post from the Europe section to the Americas as there was no mention of Europe in the movements of the family.

Can you tell us where you have searched already? If anyone is trying to help, it could save someone a great deal of extra work as you are asking for quite a lot of information in your post, all of which could take someone quite a bit of time and effort to find, so it helps us to help you if we know what research you have carried out already and what you found (or did not find!).

e.g.
Have you found Robert in any census in Scotland or Canada? That may help you with the date and place of their son's birth and with info on Lottie if you can find them as a family unit.
Have you searched for the marriage on Scotlands People? I expect Lottie could be a Charlotte really.
Have you searched any emmigration lists?

A lof of information can be found online these days, so even those without relatives to fill in the missing information can usually find something to help. If you do not know where to look online for different types of info, just ask us and we will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Best wishes
Lesley

jjlmary312

Post by jjlmary312 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi,

I know that Robert Reid was in the 1911 census and was living in Donaldson Street, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He was 20 years of age and was living with his dad Robert John Reid, Isabella and Mary his sisters and a brother William his brother. I cannot trace other census as they have not been leased as yet. I was a child and remember him going over to England/Scotland to visit at times. His ister Mary (my grandmother was still alive). I am not suire how to trace immigration records and he married Lottie who was either an American or Canadian but def not Scottish or English. They had a son Robert Jn who was born in Canada. If you trace the imigration records for abroad how is this don as I have never done this and is it free.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:01 am

HI jjlmary312
I cannot trace other census as they have not been leased as yet.
As far as I am aware you can search a later census for Canada. I have a vague memory from my own research, that one of those censuses gives a date of arrival in Canada (checked- it is the 1906 census) . Ancestry gives access to these Canandian census records.
http://search.ancestry.com/search/group ... diancensus
1916 census is mentioned, but I see now it is only for Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta (a branch of mine were in Sask)

Immigration lists can be found on web sites such as Findmypast and Ancestry, but with a name like Robert Reid, it may take time to find the correct one.
http://search.ancestry.com/search/category.aspx?cat=40
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/sea ... -migration
This one is free to use:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/data ... 0.01-e.php

It would also be worth checking to see if your local library or family history society have a sub to Ancestry which would maybe give you access withour having to take out a sub.

Best wishes
Lesley