Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:48 am

Hi Carol,

Have a look at this link of David Rumey's Map Collection

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet ... -plate-DD-

Oakland Cemetery is listed on this map by Griffith Morgan Hopkins, dated 1875. Pass your cursor over the map and
a scale will appear, click on the + and then slide your cursor to the bottom right hand corner and you'll see Oakland Cemetery.
Considering this private cemetery is over 139 years old, it had to have at least three owners unless the ownership is being
passed down through the family generations. If not, who knows if the records have survived?

Just a little trivia thrown in, if you move your cursor to the upper right hand corner of the map, you'll see Rodger Williams Park (the founder of the State of Rhode Island) the park had to buy the land between the park and Oakland Cemetery, because the cemetery backs right up to Rodger Williams park now, there's only a chain link fence between them.

Regards
Marilyn

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks Marilyn,

That's a great set of maps! I've bookmarked the site. Now I just have to remember which folder I put it in!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 am

Hi Carol,

Not very good news sorry to say. I'm so disappointed with the owner of Oakland. After repeated attempts at different times of the day, this man refuses to pick up his telephone. The answering machine is full at the cemetery's office (no surprise) and the telephone just rings and rings at his home. Today, I contacted the Rhode Island Historical Society to see if they might be able to help out, but all they could tell me is they're working on getting the cemetery mapped out and there isn't a completion date on the calendar? :?

http://rihc.info/single_cemetery.php?name=CR%203

http://rihc.info/single_cemetery.php?name=CY%2069

http://rihc.info/

My only other suggestion would be to write the owner a letter and plead you case. If he replies back with the location of the stone, I'll be happy to go back out and take a picture.

Regards
Marilyn

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:39 am

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for all your foot work! Sounds like there has been a breakdown in management at the cemetery. Maybe the owner died and no one has taken over yet?

I have several letters which I need to get written. I'll add this one to the list and have a letters only day soon!

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Carol,

I've only run into this type of situation once, when the private owner of a cemetery passed on and the city had to take over the operation. But I checked with the City Clerk of Cranston, RI and she's not aware of a new ownership for Oakland? :roll: The incorporation papers must be filed by 31 Dec 2008 and his name is still on file, so who the heck knows what is going on?

You might want to consider sending the letter out by registered mail, at least someone will have to pick it up at the post office and you won't be waiting around forever for a reply back. :)

Happy Letter Writing Day
Marilyn

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi Carol,

Its Saturday and I'm off to run away for the day. :D

So I don't have to scroll through these pages or look for a file, tell me the death dates of Eleanor & Alexander Longmuir

Not to get your hopes up, but

I called Oakland Cemetery just now and an ANSWERING MACHINE picked up with a young person's voice. :shock: Hopefully, he's call back?

Regards
Marilyn

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for keeping me in mind!

Alexander Longmuir died Sept. 15, 1942 and Eleanor Heron Longmuir died Dec. 20, 1921.

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Re: Providence, RI question for Marilyn

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Carol,

Wow, its taken me almost a whole year to think of this :idea: :)

There has to be a few Veterans buried at Oaklawn Cemetery, I'm wondering if the Veterans Administration would have a map & index to the graveyard? The VA puts flags on all of the Vet's graves each year for Memorial Day. Worth a shot contacting them? If I find out who to e-mail here in Rhode Island, could you contact them and ask? Due to my current set of circumstances, my time is very limited for research right now, but I really want to get a picture of their grave for you.

Regards
Marilyn

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Brillant idea!

Sure I'll contact them if you can come up with an email address. It's probably the local VFW who does the flagging.

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Its certainly worth a shot, Carol. I'm off this Tuesday, let me see what I can find out. I'll be in touch soon.

Regards
Marilyn