Providence, RI question for Marilyn

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Re: Providence, RI question for Marilyn

Post by marilyn morning » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:27 am

Hi Carol,

Contacting the VA turned into a dead end. They tried to be helpful but, I was just bounced from one department to the next until I gave up.

The good news is, I didn't stop there. :) and I finally have some clue as to why nobody answers or returns the phone messages.

This afternoon I contacted a constituent in Mayor Fung's office, from the City of Cranston, Rhode Island. She just so happened to have a relative buried in Oaklawn Cemetery and knew all about the grief this cemetery has cause the relatives of the deceased buried within their grounds. She passed on the temp. care taker's cell phone number to me (I'm pm it to ya) It appears he has some sort of agreement with the guardian of the estate, that he lives rent free on some property (may be the one we discussed early, that's registered with the Secretary of State, through the incorporation documents filed each year with the State of Rhode Island) in trade for cutting the grass and NOT RETURNING PHONE CALLS! [rant] It appears that many complaints have crossed the desk of the Mayor over the years and his office has a difficult time getting this gentlemen to return their phone calls, so how the heck do we expect him to return ours? I'll give you the answer to that question in a second. :)
On 12 July 2009 an article appeared in the Providence Journal http://www.projo.com about the mausoleum's (I don't read the newspaper everyday, so I missed it) future being in doubt. Well here read it for yourself [book] http://www.projo.com/ri/cranston/conten ... ae728.html

I called the ProJo today to see if Randy Egar still worked as a reporter and sure enough he does. So my suggestion would be to contact Randy and see what type of information he uncovered during his investigation. Maybe he has a clue as to who the heck has their hands on the plot maps of Oaklawn? I would give him a big fat sob :-({|= story, that you want to visit your Uncle's site (through me of course, lol ) Here is Randy's e-mail address redgarATprojo.com

Good Luck & Go Get Him, Carol :lol:
Marilyn

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:52 am

A million thanks to you Marilyn!!!

Thanks for your efforts and the info. I'm on the road at the moment to visit my sister in upper Michigan and do some cemetery walking. Fortunately, we already have the gravesite info for this one. The people there were wonderful! I'll email Randy after I get back home next week. Unfortunately, the upper penninsula while beautiful is a technological waste land when you get as much as three feet outside of the city limits and my sister is six miles outside of town so my internet access will be severely limited.

Thanks again!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:16 am

Hi Carol,

Enjoy you visit and its nice to get away from "it all" including the internet! We've waited this long, what's another week or so? Hopefully, Randy can stir you/us in the right direction to finally get a picture of the headstone. (we need a smilie of a headstone :-)

Regards
Marilyn

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Marilyn

Caught up on the laundry and cleaned out my junk mail box so now I'm working on the letter to Randy.

In the meantime, do you know anything about these folks: http://www.cranstonri.com/event.php?eve ... &event=938

Found them when I was googling around and it looks like they did a clean up out at Oakland Cemetery on Apr. 24, 2010.

Carol :D

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:42 pm

they did a clean up out at Oakland Cemetery on Apr. 24, 2010.
Hi Carol,

No, I never heard of them before and the lady at Town Hall didn't mention any recent cleanup of the cemetery. Is there an e-mail address for the Historical Cemetery Commission? To be honest, the last time I was there the cemetery really wasn't in that bad of a condition. I'm not 100% certain, but I have a feeling that the owners of this cemetery are the same two sisters who inherited a different cemetery in Warwick, Rhode Island, from their father. The facts are too similar to be two different families. The father passed on and left it to his two daughters and when they passed on it became overrun, until the families of those relatives began to complain to the City of Warwick, who now pays for the up keep. I have a feeling we're getting closer to finding their grave, at least I have my fingers crossed...

Regards
Marilyn

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:35 am

Hello Carol,

Happy New Year! Its been a while and I do hope all is well? Sorry its taken me so long to get in touch, but I haven't been able to donate much time to TS lately.

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you and our quest to find Alexander & Eleanor Longmuir. A few weeks ago I went to Oaklawn Cemetery and walked 80% of the graveyard searching for them, with -0- results :( The cemetery is a mess and the stones are all facing in different directions, making it very difficult to read the names, plus there are many flat stones grown over by grass. I doubt if they had a flat stone, considering they purchased a large stone for their infant son (George?)

The good news is a few friends of mine are willing to go back wiht me this Spring and we'll be able to spread out and cover much more ground.......keeping my fingers crossed we'll find them..........gosh they certainly are the most difficult couple to find. :)

I'll be in touch soon.

Marilyn

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi Marilyn,

A million thanks for continuing the quest! George was my grandparents baby, not Alexander and Eleanor Longmuirs son. Wish who ever has the cemetery records would be more cooperative then no one would have to hike all over that cemetery.

We've had some medical adventures, but are both surviving and still on our feet! Hope all is well with you and yours too!

Carol

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi Carol,

Oh yeah, its been so long I forgot that George wasn't their child.

I've given up on that caretaker, he's heartless :(

Marilyn

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Hello Carol,

I hope the medical adventures are well and truly on their way out and you both get back to normal soon.

All the very best,
Alan

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks Alan,

My husband had a diverticuli perforate and had to have a section of his colon removed. He's doing fine.

Last August I developed gastroparesis. Something damaged some of the nerve ending in my stomach so it doesn't empty properly. I'm on medication which helps and they are hopeful that the nerve ending will regenerate after about a year. In the meantime, it's liquids and mush--easily digestible-for me. Not going to kill me, but no fun either. I have lost a lot of excess weight though. Always looking for the silver lining! :)

Carol