Horace Stevely

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Hugh Stevely

re Horace Stevely.

Post by Hugh Stevely » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi Wini, thanks for that i will give it a try at Public library, Dalby.

Hugh.

Hugh Stevely

Re: Horace Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:46 am

Update.

Season's Greetings" To All [Scotland drink] [Scotland drink]

Info i have just recived i am still looking for any info.

Name Burial or Ashes Interred Date Age
Our records indicate that this grave has space for more burials. Please contact 3407 8128 for more details.
Stevley Horace [after 1959] 59 years
Cemetery Details
Cemetery: Mt Gravatt Cemetery
Street Address: 582 Mains Rd, MacGregor
UBD Ref: Map 200 N9
Part Portion Grave Number
Lawn L6 668

\:D/

[post edited as date of death well after our cut off date of 1959. See Essential Reading for more info viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6601&p=48099#p48099 LesleyB ]

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi Hugh

Something just crashed as I was replying - shall try again. Unfortunately the date is outside of when a death index/certificate is available in Qld - shame he didn't die in NSW or Victoria, they are somewhat more liberal with a 30 year death closure. His age is also just outside the birth index which does go to 1919 on Fiche & would be very close.

As he died in Brisbane, however, there may be a notice at the library - so I am generating a few more reasons to go back to the library. It is fairly ghastly in the school holidays however & we have our summer break until the end of January, so not sure when I may get there.

He was of an age to have served in WWII but unfortunately no sign of same. The name only appears on one record and that is for WWI - for Gilbert Mckenzie.
have you tried the Australian White pages - for Queensland there is no-one spelt Stevely but there are Stavely and Staveley

Trish

I've tried searching here http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home but it is annoyingly giving a match on "Steve" - and it seems the Brisbane Courier is not yet up to the period which may be useful.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:29 pm

I assume you saw on the 1954 Electoral Roll that Horace and Ann Jane are still listed together at Dalby, so it seems most likely that if Horace married it was later in his life. It seems he was definitely the son of Ann Jane from the later Electoral rolls

Trish

PS It does occur to me we are heading out towards Mt Gravatt tomorrow - that area of the cemetery is the lawn graves I think, where each grave has a small embedded placque - will try and find time to swing by and see if there is a MI of any use

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi Trish, thanks for your info yes it looks like he was definitely the son of Ann Jane also i think the young child Gilbert McKenzie Stevely in the grave with two other chidren could be Horace,s Son? i will keep looking and update you if i find any more info.

Hugh.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:59 am

Unfortunately the MI gives no further information than is already on the BCC website - except that the name is spelt Stevely on the memorial - but if you would like to send me a message with an email address I'll send you the photos for your files. Must say it is the most well marked cemetery we have ever visited - must have taken all of 5 minutes from when we drove in the gates to finding the grave - and it is a very large cemetery.

Trish

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi Trish,

Thanks very much for your time you have been so kind email on the way to you.

Many thanks Hugh. =D>