Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Newington
County: Surrey
Volume: 1d

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Thanks, Susan! :D
This is beginning to look very sad :( All those children dying :cry: I wonder what the story is on her marriage. Interesting that she was called Sola all the way in the will in 1870, although her husband had remarried in 1853...

Regards,
Sarah

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:40 am

Given Susan's info on the death of James in 1852 in Newington, I felt that they must have been in Newington already in 1851, and sure enough! Meet the Lola family!

Elemendina Lola, Lodger, 44, born S America Brayil
James Lola, Son, 11, born Islington
Clementine E Lola, 9, born Holland, St Andrew (Don't get too excited, "Holland" is clearly "Holborn"!)
Thos B(?) Lola, 7, born St Pancras

No husband in sight. He must have been in India at the time.

Re: the Thos B Lola above, born St Pancras, there is this birth on FreeBMD:

Thomas Bolton Sola
Apr-May-Jun Quarter 1844
London, Middlesex, St Pancras
Vol. 1, Page 276

She must have altered his name at the baptism.

Regards,
Sarah

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:54 am

Fantastic piece of investigation. 17 out of 10 for effort!
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:45 pm

I'll drink to that too.

Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi all,
Just received three certs from GRO:
1) Birth of Thomas Bolton Sola on 16 April 1844. Father James Noon Sola, Teacher of Music, mother Clementina Sola formerly Ruxton \:D/ (Take a bow, Sally! :D )
Address 5 Thanet Street

2) Death of Clementina Emma Solly on 7 April 1859, age 17, of diphtheria. Daughter of James Noon Solly, Musician, deceased :shock:
Informant: Clementina Solly present at the death, 83 Vauxhall Street, Lambeth

3) Death of Clementina Solly, age 69 on 23 Nov 1890 in the Workhouse Infirmary, Brook Street, Lambeth. No information asked or given about parents or spouse. It was signed by Robt H Lloyd, chief resident medical officer. Cause of death: Senectus (i.e. old age... Some of us might argue that 69 is hardly old age, but then we know she was really 80, which is slightly more plausible) :roll:
She was of 39 St Lawrence Road, Brixton

So did Clementina really think James was dead and it's only in hindsight that we can see him alive and well in India? Or was that her story to avoid questions?

Regards,
Sarah

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi Sarah

I sometimes rant about the lack of information on English certificates - but just sometimes they have a snippet of information that more than returns the seven pounds they cost.

How great was Sally's find and how interesting the followup.

On the query - perhaps Clementina "assumed" he was dead - given he travelled so far away for that time in history, she really didn't expect to see him again, so probably easier to say he was dead. (This certainly happened with the many of the married convicts - and perhaps free settlers - who came to Australia pre 1850s)

Trish

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I just love how this thread as turned out Sarah! I think Sally deserves a turnip :wink: maybe even two for all her efforts! :D

As for if Clementina thought the hubbie was well and truly dead...hmmm...all conjecture of course but I wonder if they just parted ways and to her he may as well have been dead or perhaps she even wished him so :shock: The fact that he remarried and she did not speaks a bit to that. Or perhaps he did try to find her again and due to information being so badly recorded and/or transcribed he never could locate her again.... :? :lol:

Best wishes to all
Jean

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi Jean,
JustJean wrote:Or perhaps he did try to find her again and due to information being so badly recorded and/or transcribed he never could locate her again.... :? :lol:
You mean to say that a clever fellow like James might not have recognized his wife in Elemendina Lola of Brayil?! :lol:

I'm hoping that there will be more information to be found in the 1890 death notice if I access the original. It is odd, though, that James doesn't show up at all in a search at the India Office site:

http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Advancediscovery.aspx

Maybe it's just that they haven't yet transcribed all?

Regards,
Sarah

SarahND
Site Admin

James Noon Sola in India

Post by SarahND » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Okay, thanks to Mr. SarahND's desire to participate in Asian Art Week in London, I have now been over there and was able to check out the India Office records at the British Library-- great fun!! :D However, the marriage and death records of James don't shed much light on the story, except providing James' father's name (if he can be trusted to tell the truth on that) and a possible birth date, if he really died 4 days after his birthday. I don't for one minute believe that the year is correct...

Marriages Solemnized at Dinapore
July 19
James Noon Sola, Batchelor :roll: , Bandmaster 13th N.I.
Henrietta Augusta Kidd, spinster
Both of age
Both of Dinapore
Father's names: James Sola, William Kidd
By license
Witnesses: Thomas Harris, William Price Wattell, Luke Keelan
By whom: W. Sturrock, offg Chaplain

Died: 1890 Jany 10th
James Noon Sola, age 70 years 4 days, Male, Bandmaster on the Pension Establishment
When buried: 1890 Jany 10th
Cause: Bronchitis
By whom buried: W. Carey, Acting Chaplain, Church of Scotland

So, unless I can find his recruitment or pension files for the 13th N. I., I guess that's the end of the story as far as James is concerned.

However, since this topic began in Australia, it is only fitting that it also end in Australia... Hence the next post.