James Tracey and Agnes/Ann Hearty, Wanganui, New Zealand

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Anne H
Global Moderator

James Tracey and Agnes/Ann Hearty, Wanganui, New Zealand

Post by Anne H » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Does anyone know anything about James Tracey and Agnes/Ann Hearty in Wanganui, New Zealand?

James Tracey/Trasey/Tracie…no knowledge of parentage
Agnes/Ann Hearty…Parents: Michael Hearty and Margaret McShirra/McSherra/Shirra/Sherry

Agnes is first found on the 1851 census living at New Dundyvan, Old Monkland. She marries James Tracie at Dundyvan in 1853. They have a son James born in Coatbridge 1856 who dies in Coatbridge in 1857 and nothing for them after that date. I couldn’t find anything for James Tracey senior in the area before the 1853 marriage to Ann. Last week I came across some old posts that referred to a couple with the same names in Wanganui, New Zealand. Sent emails, but as expected were undeliverable.

These are the old posts regarding James Joseph Tracey and Agnes Ann Hearty with two children, Catherine and Thomas - Scotland to New Zealand c1860’s.
http://www.traceyclann.com/files/cavan.htm
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 0992650361
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1022620200

I did find an Ann Tracey with children Catherine and Thomas supposedly born in Sunderland, Durham on the 1861 census but couldn’t find matching parents for them on IGI. I also found a James Tracey on the 1861 census lodging in Manchester – could have been him working away, but is it the same family? A lot of ‘could have’s’ but nothing concrete!

I also found a marriage and children for Catherine but again, nothing giving her mother’s maiden name or anything about Scotland.

Based on the information in the above posts I researched New Zealand BMD’s and PapersPast for newspaper articles - interesting but none gave me any clues as to whether or not they were from Scotland or that Agnes/Ann’s maiden name was Hearty.

A bit more looking around found a ‘tree’ for Catherine and family with the same date of death I found for her on BMD site and sent email to see if they have the actual certificate giving her parents names…but no response so far!

I checked Ancestry’s free search for electoral rolls and found an Agnes Tracey resident 1911 and an Agnes Ann Ageata Tracey resident 1905. Both after the 1901 death of the Agnes Ann Tracey I found but not too unusual for the names of deceased still being in the directory.

I’m hoping some of our New Zealand experts might know of other resources I could check before I send away for birth/death certificates.

Are there any shipping records besides those on familysearch? (Find My Past doesn’t have any before 1890) or possible cemeteries I might check out?

Regards,
Anne H

momat

Re: James Tracey and Agnes/Ann Hearty, Wanganui, New Zealand

Post by momat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi Anne,
There are deaths on here that appear to be them https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/home/
There is also a Marriage for a Catherine Tracey.
Maureen

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Anne H wrote:
I also found a marriage and children for Catherine but again, nothing giving her mother’s maiden name or anything about Scotland.
Hi Maureen and thanks for your reply.

I actually found a marriage for Catherine and Edward Nixon along with births and deaths for their children. Also found newspaper notices on Papers Past.

What I'm really hoping for is that someone recognizes the names or can give me direction to burial records and shipping records other than what appears on Family Search.

The hunt goes on! :(

[cheers]
Anne

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 am

Greetings Anne

Must away to have some lunch, but you may find something of interest in these links.

Anyone with a membership of OLD FRIENDS may be able to make contact with a person with the same name [spelling = Nichola C] here:-

http://www.oldfriends.co.nz/Login.aspx? ... d%3d429133

These are the James TRACEY hits on ARCHWAY.

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/SimpleS ... s%20tracey

“TRACEY” only search some 459 hits including –
CAMERON, Henry Gilford - [a.k.a. GUILFORD, Henry Tracey] - SA8681, 1422 - Army
BEATTIE, John - [a.k.a. TRACEY, Dines] - WW1 23/1854 – Army

And again on CENOTAPH

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/database ... rch=tracey

Alan SHARP.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:24 am

Thanks Alan,

I'll have a good look through the links tomorrow. It's way past midnight now. :)

Regards,
Anne H

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:08 am

Greetings again.

I've just got this reply ...

Hello Alan

Yes I am still researching my Tracey branch and would be pleased to hear from your contact.

Cheers

Janice
------------------------------
Will contact by private message.

Alan SHARP.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:23 am

Hi again, Alan,

Great links...many thanks! :)

Not sure if any of the Tracey's might be connected since I haven't done much research on the son Thomas as yet, but time will tell.

Can't wait to hear about Janice and her Tracey's as mentioned in your second post.

Many thanks. :D

[cheers]
Anne

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:33 pm

UPDATE!

Yippee! =D>

Thanks to Alan's (Sharp) help I'm in contact with his contact, Janice and am finally able to knock down that brick wall I've had for so long with James Tracey and Agnes/Ann Hearty.

Just goes to show that good things come for those who wait. :)

Still would like to find some shipping records though, so if anyone comes across any from the 1860's please give me a shout.

Thanks again Alan.

Regards,

Anne H

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Greetings.

Finding the living is NOT my speciality, but I'm only to happy to try and help Team TS, considering how much help they have given me directly, [especially night owls Russell & Andrew immediatly replying to MY late afternoon PM's when they are 11 to 12 hours behind,] Team TS direct knowledgable forum inputs to my threads, and just all the good advice, and search hints that one gains, by reading all the posts from contributor's. A great sharing [without cash reward] "www family" Hopefully the BONNER, and the STURGEON, family research is ticking along nicely as well.

Regards, Alan SHARP.

spacecookie

Post by spacecookie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:47 am

Hi, just a note on the Tracey posts.I have a bit of information on them as i am related.Catherine and Charles Edward Nixon are the parents of my Great Grandmother Agnes Anne Nixon.nee Tracey,b 1859-d1901.