Russian Jews

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Shonastaffie

Re: Russian Jews

Post by Shonastaffie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:39 pm

I see that 232 Miller st is now a restaurant called Jagos on Miller. Apparently run by two ladies. I would like to knowifthis was an eatery in 1939.

Shonastaffie

Post by Shonastaffie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Have determined now that Samuel Sigall wasn't born in Charkov but in Khirovka.
http://www.jewishgen.org/Ukraine/GEO_Town.asp?id=677

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:32 am

Shonastaffie wrote:Now I am confused. Got Samuels death certificate today. He died in the Marrickville Home of Peace. Usual residence was 232 Miller st. North Sydney. Home of his son Louis. However, it says he was born in Kiev not Charkov (Kharkiv) as it sates on his naturalisation papers.
He was cremated at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium on 18 October 1939.
Hi Shona - remember Samuel was not the informant on his death certificate - so it is more likely to be correct on documents he supplied (although I have a few folks who lied on their marriage certificates) - but I see from a later post you have that sorted. Miller Street North Sydney has been completely commercial for many years - I spent much time there some years ago. I WILL check more later after my GF visitors leave - family do interrupt the research - :D

Trish

Shonastaffie

Post by Shonastaffie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Trish
That's very kind of you to do that.

The town of Khirovka was previously known as
KORSUN-SHEVCHENKOVSKIY, kiev region Ukraine Russia - in the middle of nowhere!
www.jewishgen.org/Ukraine/GEO_Town.asp?id=677
I'm absolutely certain that is where he was born. The names changing over the years with the politics of the time.

Initially I couldn't read his handwriting and link Shevchenkovskiy to Charkov or Kiev.
As you said - the informant may not have been Samuel himself on some of the later forms (he has two lots of naturalisation details ) and it's easy to confuse Russian place names!!!! His son may also only have known the area of Kiev to record on the death certificate.

So, at last I feel I'm getting somewhere. The Mormons have1857 databases for Khirovka. wonderful!! Not on line though.

Re Miller st. It's doubtful if the current owners would know anything about inhabitants as far back as 1939.
I think there is a residential part above the cafe. Building/cafe Named after the eminent builder.
All very interesting - if you are ME that is. Lol
Thanks for all your help Trish.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 am

You have a much greater understanding of the Ukraine/Russia than I could even think about - I am impressed at what you have found - do you have an LDS centre near where you could look at their data?

Meanwhile - I'm not finding alot about the North Sydney address - but did you know Louis served in WWII
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/vetera ... 4#summary1

If you go to this link - National archives of Australia
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/ ... index.aspx - search as a guest for Sigall Louis - there are links where you can apply to have the record scanned and placed online - click the "request copy" link. Costs $16.50AU. They say it can take up to 90 days - but it is usually much less - about 1 month. Once scanned it is available free of charge to anyone else - you only have to pay if you are the first person wanting the details (WWI Australian records were all scanned at no charge)

The record may/may not contain helpful information - it will have his war service - details of any promotions and may contain some family information - if you search for some common names with 1939-1945 in the dates you will find some records already scanned that you can browse to get an idea as to what is in the records. Air force records (at least the ones I have seen) tend to have more information than Army records for WWII.

Trish

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: 232 Miller Street, from the Sydney Morning Herald.

In August, 1972, someone is advertising for a Sandwich Hand to work there. In May, 1983, there’s a review of a restaurant there called “Millers Treat”. It says the blackboard menu dates back to 1968 (maybe 1958, difficult to read). It’s still the Millers Treat in 1992. It’s described during this period as being next to Stanton Library and having Sandstock walls.

On 14th April, 1948, there’s an advert for sale of a business described as “Mixed, Milk Bar, 3-bed. Res., VP. ₤1750. Stock incl. Principals only. 232 Miller Street, North Sydney.”

It appears to have been a confectioners shop during the 1930s. In 1914, when auctioned, it was described as “Nos. 232 and 232½ Miller Street, brick and stone Shope, with room at rear.”

On Google Street View you can see how it could have been two shops originally. Head a couple of clicks towards the nearest intersection and a great mob of schoolchildren will mysteriously appear. http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&co ... CB8Q8gEwAA

All the best,
Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:07 pm

Currie wrote:Head a couple of clicks towards the nearest intersection and a great mob of schoolchildren will mysteriously appear.
:shock: That is indeed surreal! Do you think the driver of the google car stopped for a sandwich and then continued on just when the children got out of school?

Best,
Sarah

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:28 pm

That is different - I thought I was being spooked as no children appeared after the first click. - you never cease to amaze with what you find Alan.
I used to go to the nearby library & eat lunch in the park - nice to be reminded

Trish

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:01 pm

SarahND wrote:
Currie wrote:Head a couple of clicks towards the nearest intersection and a great mob of schoolchildren will mysteriously appear.
:shock: That is indeed surreal! Do you think the driver of the google car stopped for a sandwich and then continued on just when the children got out of school?
It must have been a big sandwich. :shock: The images with the children are from November 2009; the ones without the children are from February 2010.

All the best,

AndrewP

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Hello All,

If you go closer to the intersection the kids disappear again. There are only two photos with the schoolkids. Looks like that particular spot could be a window to the past like you see in the movies. It would be a handy way to check out the Sigall family.

All the best, I hope,
Alan