mcleods in new zealand .....

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

karenc

mcleods in new zealand .....

Post by karenc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:17 pm

hi,

whilst researching my family tree i have discovered i have someone who emigrated to new zealand. his name was gavin mcleod and he was born in fauldhouse, west lothian about 1840. he was married to jessie reid in 1865 and they went to new zealand in 1875 with their 5 children.

they arrived in dunedin in new zealand

if anyone has a connection to the above people and knows anymore info i would love to hear from you!

Karen.

Jack

Re McLeods in New Zealand

Post by Jack » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:50 pm

Hi Karen,
This Gavin is as born Lanarkshire, but he may have lived most of his life in West Lothian?
A fair chance though that the family could've been in Lesmahagow 1841.
From the 1851 WLN indexes -
--
1851 673 cens Ed 6 p 59 (Whitburn)
Dixon's Row.
Donald McLEOD, head, widower, 52, coal miner, b Assynt, SUT
William McLEOD, son, 15, iron miner, b Lesmahagow, LKS
John McLEOD, son, 12, iron miner, b Lesmahagow, LKS
Gavin McLEOD, son, 10, -------------b Lesmahagow, LKS
--
Jack

karenc

Post by karenc » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:22 am

hi jack

already seen this census but thanks so much for trying to help

karen

Stephan

Post by Stephan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:33 am

Karen...

There are McLeods aplenty in Otago/Southland. I couldn't find any cemetery records for them in Dunedin ... so the chances are they may have moved into the rural areas of Otago/Southland. You may strike it lucky by advertising in the Otago Daily Times (Main Otago Newspaper - out of Dunedin) or (google their sites) the Southland Times (Main Southland paper - out of Invercargill). Only about 220,000 people in Otago/Southland so there is a fair bet someone will read it who knows something...

In the meantime I know a good few McLeods down thisaway and will ask around...

Good luck

Stephan

karenc

Post by karenc » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:30 pm

thanks for the tips stephan i will go and try that.

karen

Fiona C Davidson

Post by Fiona C Davidson » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:23 am

Kia ora Karen

I will have a look on the 1893 electoral roll for you. Won't be able to do it for a few days though, but I will do it. Women in NZ got the vote in 1893 so I might be able to find Jessie too. What were the names of their children?

Fiona 8)
I'm currently researching Sutherland, Davidson, Baillie (Kilsyth), Wilson (Dunoon), Paton (Dunoonn) in Scotland.

karenc

Post by karenc » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:00 pm

Hi Fiona,

well thanks a lot that would be excellent if you could do that!

Anyway on the matter of children i am led to believe they had 11 but only have names of some of them. there was mary, jessie and annie but i think they all died before 1893. the other names i have are isabella matheson mcleod, gavin mcleod, and william mcleod. as for the rest i dont know.

look forward to your reply

karen

Jan D

Post by Jan D » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:17 am

Kia ora again Karen

I'm on my mum's lappie to do this reply to you.

I have had a look at the NZ 1893 electoral roll on CD. Found Gavin and Jessie McLeod in the Oamaru electorate which is in the South Island. Gavin's occupation is listed as "miner", Jessie's was "wife". Their address was given as Peebles, a farming locality now. Oamaru inself (not the electorate) is a port town about 1 hour's drive north from Dunedin. This was the first year of women getting the vote - yeah for the girls :D :D :D !!!

Miner could mean Gavin was a coal miner or a gold miner. I think he and Jessie + the kids may have come out as assisted immigrants under the Vogel Scheme, which started around 1870. You could email Archives NZ (Google) for more info re the passenger manifest and how to obtain it and the name of the boat they came over on. Shouldn't be hard to locate these records. Children born in Scotland will be listed on the manifest, along with their ages.

Best wishes!

Fiona Davidson
NZ

karenc

Post by karenc » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:54 pm

hi fiona,

thanks for that! thats great but i was led to believe that jessie, gavins wife had died in 1888 so obviously this was wrong! :roll:

once again thanks for all the help

karen

Hugh Stevely

Mcleods

Post by Hugh Stevely » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi Karen have you been into Death Records Dunedin a full page of names there Good Luck.
Hugh.