Need help reading

North, Central, South

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Need help reading

Post by Dennis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi,

I'm having problems reading what looks like FMP entry Lennox Margaret , Casablanca, vol? Page?

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1657

Thank you dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

PaulaD

Post by PaulaD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi Dennis,

It looks like vol 31 page 433?

Paula
Searching for Barclay Aberdeenshire, Stewart Edinburgh, Brown Edinburgh & Uphall, Finlayson E Lothian, Fairley & Renton E & W Lothian for starters!

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi Paula,

Don't know how FMP can say its crystal clear :roll:

To me the page # appears to be 430 :shock:

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi all,
The last number could be 0 or 5 or even 9... Can you find examples on the same page of any of these numbers to confirm or not?

Regards,
Sarah

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Okay, excuse my ignorance, but I have to ask... what is FMP? I find, on the internet, about 50 different possibilities, from Forest Management Plan, through Full Metal Panic, Fair Market Price, Floodplain Management Plan, Forced Migration Project, Fuel Manifold Pressure :lol: I'll spare you the rest...!! I'm sure it's something totally obvious...

Cheers,
Sarah

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi Sarah,

FMP is Find My Past. Its got some nice features in it.

regards. dennis

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:12 pm

I knew it would be something I should already know! :lol:

Thanks,
Sarah

Dennis

Why info lacking on overseas births?

Post by Dennis » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Hi,

Just occurred to me, on receiving a birth record for a brit. subject born overseas in Morocco, that there is no mention of where other than the city; there is no mention of the hospital or any doctor or time ,etc.

The one I got today has Casablanca 13, October 1937.

Regards. dennis

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:37 pm

Hello Dennis,

Yours is a similar question to that posted recently concerning an overseas death and the reply I would give to you would be similar so it might be worth a read viewtopic.php?t=12522

Part of the comment there by Paul Parr, Deputy Registrar General of GROS was “Say there is a couple who are normally resident in Scotland, the lady is expecting a child, they go off on holiday somewhere abroad and the child is born abroad. There is always a legal requirement for them to ensure that the child is registered according to the regulations of the country in which the birth occurs. There is no requirement for that birth to be registered in Scotland under the existing law”

He also mentions an entirely voluntary process whereby vital events overseas can be reported to a British consul. This is an entirely separate thing to the registration of births deaths and marriages that takes place in Scotland. The information recorded by the consul would no doubt be limited to the spaces provided on the standard register or form used for the purpose. If therefore there is no space on the form for the details you mentioned there would have been no reason to include them. A requirement to also provide the missing extra particulars may not have been a reasonable and practical proposition.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the reply. What ails me is that I cannot even follow up on whether or not the child born in 1937 in morocco, a female, to find out if she spent the rest of her life there or if she married and had children, etc. Both of her parents are buried in England according to Ancestry.

Regards. dennis