Where is/was PITNACREE LODGE, Logierait Parish?

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Billiegirl

Where is/was PITNACREE LODGE, Logierait Parish?

Post by Billiegirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:23 am

Hi again, another Perthshire question.

My gt gt gt grandfather had his daughter baptised in Logierait in 1805, and the parish record gives his address as PITNACREE LODGE. An internet search has only come up with Pitnacree House, Pitnacree, and to confuse things further some reference to a Pitnacree Lodge in Ballinluig, PITLOCHRY.

Does anyone know where Pitnacree Lodge was in 1805, and if it still exists? I would love to know any details of the Lodge and who owned it, and whether any pictures exist of it.

I'm in Australia and don't know much about Perthshire geography and history.

Thanks for any assistance. :D

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Where is/was PITNACREE LODGE, Logierait Parish?

Post by paddyscar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:51 am

Hi Billiegirl:

I came up empty on Pitnacree Lodge, but did find some mentions of Logierait in the Gazeteer of Scotland http://www.scottish-places.info/anyword.html You may search in both of the boxes for slightly differing results.

Not much help, but may give you some ideas. Someone with insight will be along shortly to help with more.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:54 am

Hi Billiegirl,

Pitnacree in Logierait Parish is the same place as called Pitnacree, Ballinluig, Pitlochry (in modern terms by the Royal Mail). It is on the north bank of the River Tay, in Strath Tay.

On various maps: The house shown on Google Maps Streetview looks like it should be the one shown on the 1867 map - the lodge house at the foot of one of the roads up to Pitnacree House. Whether it is the lodge house that was there in 1805, I cannot prove for you.

All the best,

AndrewP

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:52 am

Hello Billiegirl,

There’s an advert in the Caledonian Mercury, Thursday, May 11, 1809.

PITNACREE LODGE TO LET FURNISHED.
To be LET for one year, or for the Season, and entered to immediately, THE HOUSE, OFFICES, and GARDENS of PITNACREE, in the parish of Logierate, and shire of Perth. The house is well furnished, and delightfully situated upon the banks of the Tay. It consists of dining-room, drawing-room, five bed-rooms, and bed-closet, with an excellent kitchen, and cellars, and ample accommodation for servants.
The house is situated about 10 miles north of Dunkeld, and 25 of Perth, in the midst of a fine sporting country, and the Tay affords the best of fishing.
The orchard and kitchen garden are in good order, and well stocked.
If the tenant chuses he may be supplied with coal at the Perth prices, and paying a reasonable carriage, or with fuel timber at low prices; also with grass for a cow and a horse, and more, if required.
Apply to Mr Colin Menzies, at Pitnacree Lodge, by Dunkeld; or John Campbell, 4tus, W. S. 20, James Square.

You can access these old newspapers, and much more, for free, from home, via the National Library of Australia. http://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/

Try also your State Library. They may have additional databases available to residents.

All the best,
Alan

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:27 pm

HI Billiegirl,

After reading Alan's message above, it looks like Pitnacree Lodge was the big house rather than the gate lodge that I was assuming. Lodge in this sense was maybe like 'hunting lodge' rather than the gatehouse sense of the word. The rooms described above couldn't fit into the gate lodge, so more likely describe the big house up the driveway.

You can pay to view the fine gardens at Pitnacree these days.
http://www.scotlandsgardens.org/gardens ... 5a010c97b3

Or you can hire the 'east wing' for your holiday break.
http://www.aboutscotland.com/ecosse/pit ... index.html

Food for thought,

AndrewP

Isabel H

Post by Isabel H » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Google "Pitnacree Strathtay" and you should find links similar to this one:
https://www.unique-cottages.co.uk/cotta ... /pitnacree

Isabel

Billiegirl

Post by Billiegirl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:07 am

Wow, thanks so much Paddyscar, AndrewP, Currie and Isabel! I really appreciate your help =D>

It will take a while to study the wealth of info you've given me but I'll enjoy every moment! How lovely to get the description from the newspaper too, what a great forum this is with such lovely, helpful people O:)