Eagle Inn, Condorrat

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

m morgan

Agnes Mclaren

Post by m morgan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi Everyone its been a while since ive been on .Just to let you know what a Surprise i got.Agnes Mclaren is my Aunt.She married my mums brother Henry.I was just taliking about her last week and saying i would have to go and have a chat with her and see if she couild give me any info on my family.Havent seen her since my mum died 15 years ago.
She married my uncle Henry but i never knew him as there was such a huge gap between him and my mum.Didnt know that aunt aggie lived in Smithstone Row .This was where my dad was born in Croy.Just thought i would let you know .Think shes 101 now but i think i might make that trip to Kilsyth and see what she remembers .Marguerite

Big Sanny

Post by Big Sanny » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:24 pm

There was a pub located at the beginning of Airdrie Road in the village, the building is still there and there is an old photo showing it when it was a pub. I'm not sure if it was the Eagle Inn in question but apart from the pub in this photo and the Masonic I haven't heard of any other pub in Condorrat.

I'll get a copy of the photo and post.
Then from the east there came a wee hard man, oh hoa, aw' the wi fae Brigton.

Ann McDonald

Re: Eagle Inn, Condorrat

Post by Ann McDonald » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:45 am

Hello
I am from the village of Condorrat and found your posting interesting as I remember the Eagle Inn building. This was not the same building as the Masonic Arms in the village Main Street of Condorrat. The Eagle Inn was situated just outside the village,on the left hand side of a B class road going in the direction of Stirling. This would be close to a restaurant, called The Red Deer, which is newly built near to the site.
Probably, the Eagle Inn was an old staging post for the horses and carts on route from Glasgow to Stirling and the north of Scotland.

Before the building was demolished it was transformed to house a number of families. I can remember two of the family names: Gibson and Young. They were living there until around the mid 60s. I can remember this was demolished when the A 80 was built, which has now had further work completed to make it a motorway. This area was agricultural and most of the families knew one another, I have fond memories of playing at the back of the Eagle Inn building as a child and growing up around this area, and seeing all the changes over the years.
Good luck with your research
Ann

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:18 am

Hi Ann and a warm welcome to TalkingScot [Scotland drink]

Thanks for your additions to this topic. It will interest more than a few members. Our site thrives on just this type of additional information and personal memories. they add a very personal slant on what could otherwise be a fairly sterile enquiry.
I hope we can help you with any queries you have about your own families. We love having a wide range of questions, brick walls and difficult to find rellies. It's amazing some of the answers which have emerged from the blend of investigators from across the world.
Hope to hear more from you soon.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Ann McDonald

Post by Ann McDonald » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Hello Russell,
I have only came across this site in the past few days, and found it really interesting that someone was looking for information on Eagle Inn. I realise that I am only 4 years too late in replying. Hopefully, the information will be picked up by the original enquirer and it will fill in another piece of their family tree research.
Ann

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi Ann

Cathy H (winslowsmum) was last on site in January I think so she will most definitely pick up your post. Isn't it great though that you, in Condorrat are helping out someone on the far coast of the USA. I certainly get a buzz when we shrink the world and wonder what our long dead ancestors would have made of the World Wide Web we take for granted.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Macharf

Post by Macharf » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:46 pm

My Grandmothers family lived at the Eagle Inn in Condorrat there name was Allen/Allan. My father was born there in
1911 and left for the USA in 1926. My grandparents were not married and my grandfather live at 43 Smithstone Row ,Cumbernauld his name was James Kelly. Does anyone know the closest cemetery (Maybe Catholic) as my father
had a sister buried in 1915. Or about James Kelly who I believed died before 1919.

Macharf

Post by Macharf » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:32 pm

Where did you relatives live on Smithstone? My grandfather lived at 43 Smithstone. His name was James Kelly. Do you know how close Smithstone was to the Eagle Inn

Margaret

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:33 pm

In this old map Smithstone row is at the top and Condorrat is at the bottom:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15 ... yers=6&b=1

probably a mile or so as the crow flies.

There is a Smithstone road in the area, but the Smithstone Row would be where Hopepark Drive Croy is now.
Wilma