Fonison, Argyllshire

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Fonison, Argyllshire

Post by SarahND » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:12 pm

nelmit wrote: So I'd be looking at the 1891 original census for Margaret Wilson at Callander and hoping for Torosay as her place of birth.
Exactly. I'm nearly completely sure that it has to be, since Fonison is clearly one of Ancestry's famous transcription errors...
nelmit wrote: John Clark's wife's name is given as Mckenzie in the marriage index but I'm finding it difficult to find her in 1881. I wondered if she had been working with Margaret at the hotel but the Clark link seems more plausible.
Could be some of each! Could this be Isabella in Callander in 1881, age 10 years off? Certainly there are enough other transcription errors in this census...

Roderich McKinzie, 70, Head, born Lechbarron G, Ross, Late Farmer
Christina McKinzie, 60, Wife, born Lechalshe G, Ross, Late Farmer Wife
Hugh McKinzie, 30, Son, born Lechbarron G, Ross, Wire Fancer
Kinnith McKinzie, 23, Son, born G, Lechbarron, Wire Fancer
Isabella McKinzie, 26, daughter, born Lechbarron G, Ross, Servent
Farquhar McKinzie, 3, Grandson, born Kilmadock G, Perth
W Anthny, 20, Lodger, Wire Fancer Employ 6 Man

I thought Farquhar might have been Isabella's son, but he is the illegitimate son of Isabella's sister Ann. Given the birthplace of the boy, surely the Clarks must have known Ann.

Cheers,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:20 am

And look at wee Farquhar's address in 1891 - :D

H of Drumvaich, Kilmadock

Duncan McKenzie 41 born Lochcarron
Margaret McKenzie 38
Jessie McKenzie 2
Christina McKenzie 11 MO
Farquhar McKenzie 13 nephew

and in 1901 Duncan is 5 households away from the Clarks -

Drumvaich, Kilmadock

Duncan Mckenzie 55 born Lochcarron
Margaret Mckenzie 47
Jessie Mckenzie 12
Christina Mckenzie 10
Duncan Mckenzie 8
Isabella Mckenzie 5
Roderick Mckenzie 4
Peter Mckenzie 1

Acutually I've just realised this info proves nothing except Isabella (McKenzie) Clark was a neighbour of her brother at Kilmadock and I agree she was living at Callander in 1881.

Regards,
Annette

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:55 am

nelmit wrote: Acutually I've just realised this info proves nothing except Isabella (McKenzie) Clark was a neighbour of her brother at Kilmadock and I agree she was living at Callander in 1881.
Every bit of connection helps :D We can't hope to know all of the family and friend interaction that was going on behind the scenes when wee Margaret was born, but it seems clear that she grew up surrounded by people who knew her family well and was not just adopted out of the blue by strangers.

Cairnie, Did her mother stay in the area? I don't see her offhand in 1901, but assume she married and will be called something else.

Regards,
Sarah

cairnie

Post by cairnie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Oh my goodness just clicked on here and what a lot of information. So many helpful people out there. It will take me a little while to digest all the info. First of all Margaret was born at 10, Caledonian Cresent, District of St. George, Edinburgh on 7th March 1894. I have contacted Stirling Archives but there was no formal adoption at that time so there are no records. I could not find a marriage for Duncan Clark and Mary McCallum and am now even more convinced this is the right connection. I had been in touch with the person concerned with the McLauchlin tree, but until now could not find a definate connection. Very interesting both from Torosay although I will still have to dig deeper. Another point, some of the family say Maggie Wilson and Isabella McKenzie were working together in a hotel. [I don't know if this is true] I have the S.P. census which states Fonison as place of birth. Brilliant you have found the right family living in Callander, I was looking in Ross and Cromarty. Christina McKenzie died at Drumvaich, Kilmadock in 1887 her son Kenneth signed the death cert. Lastly I can find no trace of grandma's mother Maggie Wilson after her birth. I presume she married but so far have no information. Maybe next census will help. I can't thank you all enough for all this information.