?Auchtilair?

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

zero

?Auchtilair?

Post by zero » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 am

Hello just a quick question, anybody got a clue where Auchtilair is. My fathers side ofthe family comes from Aberdeenshire so it must be around that area but I cannot find any record of it. This is in relation to an Alexander Davidson, merchant from Auchtilair

nelmit

Re: ?Auchtilair?

Post by nelmit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 am

zero wrote:Hello just a quick question, anybody got a clue where Auchtilair is. My fathers side ofthe family comes from Aberdeenshire so it must be around that area but I cannot find any record of it. This is in relation to an Alexander Davidson, merchant from Auchtilair

Hello Zero,

You'll find Auchtylair on this map from NLS.

Start zooming in on 'Old Deer' (as in the parish name) and it's there in the blue area just next to Skelmuir House.

Regards,
Annette

zero

Post by zero » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Brilliant, found it.

Thanx

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:32 am

Hello Zero,

There's a description of the farm in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal, Wednesday, December 3, 1879.

Farm in Old Deer Parish to be Let.
THE FARM of AUCHTYLAIR, on the Estate of KINNADIE (at present in the tenancy of Mr John Reid, Advocate, who is retiring from farming), is to be Let, on a Lease for 19 Years and Crops, with entry at Whitsunday, 1880. It contains 101 Acres, of which 98 are Arable.
There is a good Dwelling-House on the Farm, and the Proprietors will put the Steading into satisfactory condition.
The Conditions of Let will be seen in the hands of Mr L. M'KINNON, Junior, Advocate, 239 Union Street, Aberdeen, with whom Offers may be lodged on or before FRIDAY, 26th curt.
The Boundaries of the Farm will be shown by Mr JAMES BARCLAY, the Ground Officer.
Aberdeen, 2nd December, 1879.

In Google Maps, note the sign on the tree, ‘South Auchtylair’, I think.
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 14,,2,3.57

Alan

taoh

Post by taoh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:12 am

Hi zero

I've recently also been researching the Davidson's from Auchtylair for a client who is a descendent of George Davidson.

Cheers
Taoh

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:38 am

Hello taoh

[TS_welcome]
I hope you find this site interesting and helpful, not just for the Davidsons but perhaps for other research you are doing.
There are a lot of knowledgeable and very helpful people on this forum, and your research may even help others. [cheers]
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

LindaBrown13

Post by LindaBrown13 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:04 am

Hi Zero and Taoh
I have information about this person via a lawyers letter regarding a trust which my Grandmother is a beneficiary. Am researching this line currently. Contact me? We can compare notes

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:59 am

Hello Linda
[TS_welcome]
I am sure they will reply shortly once they get notified of your post
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

zero

Post by zero » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:20 am

Hello Linda.

I have contacted you via direct message

GailFerguson

Post by GailFerguson » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:39 pm

Hello

Great to hear that others are researching Alexander Davidson (1763- ). Believe that he was born in Cruden, married twice, successful merchant, lived in Auchtilair. Does anyone have a death date, interment place, etc.?
I am working back through Davidson, Ferguson, Will and Rae families.

Gail