Help Deciphering Birthplace.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:57 pm

Hello Laura
I had another look for your “thornun” and can’t really improve I what I thought it read in the first instance, even though there doesn’t appear to be a place name like that on any of my maps. I wrote about Elizabeth Cockburn from Dunse earlier in this post. Well, that place isn’t shown on modern maps either because the name was changed to Duns after she left for Edinburgh.
Perhaps the enumerator was in a hurry. He’s at the bottom of the page and can smell his tea. He can spell harbour correctly earlier in his work but slips up with “border” against Catherine’s entry. I assume he meant boarder. He even omits the relationship of the children to the adults. He wants to go home. The pub’s are open. On the other hand, he may have slipped into a hostelry between the previous entry and the last. Perhaps I’m reading too much into this.
This genealogy lark is pretty frustrating. It reminds me of JustJean’s enigmatic kilt. I’ve hammered the link provided and can’t find it for the life of me.

Sigh
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:18 pm

Malcolm wrote:......... It reminds me of JustJean’s enigmatic kilt. I’ve hammered the link provided and can’t find it for the life of me.

Sigh
Hello Malcom and forgive me please Laura for hijacking this thread for another wee minute....

I'm no technician by any means and am prone to using complicated terms like doohickey and thingamahbob :shock: (and I've already testified to my knitting skills :roll: )......but....I'm hoping I can help connect you to your missing tartan. If you click with your left mouse button just once on the link that is highlighted below

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-278

and then hopefully a page will come up that has some info about file location etc but might also say File in the middle of a box with a little logo that migh resemble a manuscript or something (best to use your imagination at this point).....anyhow....if you place your mouse cursor on this file image and left click just once I'm really hoping the file will download to your image viewer and you will see the tartan. If this method doesn't work for you then I've no clue and need to go back to thumbing the gallery instruction manual and praying for a miracle since they've left me in charge of the darned thing for a couple more weeks :shock: !!

Best wishes
Jean

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:49 pm

JustJean wrote:
Malcolm wrote:......... It reminds me of JustJean’s enigmatic kilt. I’ve hammered the link provided and can’t find it for the life of me.

Sigh
Hello Malcom and forgive me please Laura for hijacking this thread for another wee minute....

I'm no technician by any means and am prone to using complicated terms like doohickey and thingamahbob :shock: (and I've already testified to my knitting skills :roll: )......but....I'm hoping I can help connect you to your missing tartan. If you click with your left mouse button just once on the link that is highlighted below

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-278

and then hopefully a page will come up that has some info about file location etc but might also say File in the middle of a box with a little logo that migh resemble a manuscript or something (best to use your imagination at this point).....anyhow....if you place your mouse cursor on this file image and left click just once I'm really hoping the file will download to your image viewer and you will see the tartan. If this method doesn't work for you then I've no clue and need to go back to thumbing the gallery instruction manual and praying for a miracle since they've left me in charge of the darned thing for a couple more weeks :shock: !!

Best wishes
Jean
Hello Jean,

You're doing a grand job. :D

The colours of the tartan are very 'in' at the moment.

Regards,
Annette M

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:08 pm

Thanks Nelmit... :D but the question remains....will Malcolm finally meet his long lost tartan??...tune in tomorrow folks for another episode of Tartan Search! :lol:

(I considered using just pink and purple but thought it best not to push the issue.... :shock: )

Best wishes
Jean

Malcolm

[color=red]SPARTAN TARTAN[/color]

Post by Malcolm » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:20 pm

Spartan Tartan
That Nelmit can see my kilt but I can't makes me so, so jealous. I'm stamping my feet. When I follow your links JustJean, all I get is a blank page. Perhaps it's my computer. Since installing XP much of my stuff has been corrupted. There's a price on Bill Gate's head. I'm buying a new computer.
MM[/b]

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:20 pm

Not only nelmit, but I can see it too, Malcolm.
I'm sure you'll look great in it :)

Regards,

Alison

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:24 pm

Hi Malcolm,

Left click on Jean's link, then Right click on the FILE icon and select Save Target As... I usually just save to my Desktop.
Then Right click on the new desktop icon and Open With - Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Hopefully you'll then see your tartan! Jack

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:48 am

Thank's Jack
That did the trick. All i need now is a sporran. No!. Forget i said that. I'll knock something up from one of my wifes old handbags or something.
Hope JustJean's watching this.
MM

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:57 am

Hello Malcolm

So happy you've got your plaid. :D Don't fret...I'll let you choose your own accessories..... :roll:

Best wishes
Jean

Laura

Post by Laura » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:34 am

Jean,

Is there a name that goes with Malcolm's new tartan? Is it a family tartan? Is it pink? :shock:

Malcolm, there is a man from Leeds living in my small city. Lovely accent.

Kind regards,
Laura