Pictures of Scotland.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

HK

Post by HK » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:25 pm

Bits and pieces fall of on a regular basis you say.Is there a ferry nearby I can take instead?Sounds like it was either a Monday or a Friday job.
HK

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:05 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:Wish it had been me!
15 years too late !!

Davie

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:17 pm

HeatherK wrote:Bits and pieces fall of on a regular basis you say.Is there a ferry nearby I can take instead?Sounds like it was either a Monday or a Friday job.
HK
No ferry any more.

Tales of very occasional rivets falling off the structure should be taken in the context of the whole rail bridge containing several 100,000 rivets !!

The alternative is a car journey vie the parallel Forth Road Bridge, but it's generally acknowledged that the safety factor in the design of the road bridge is far lower than that for the rail bridge.

Even safer would be a diversion via the next road bridge up the Forth estuary at Kincardine, - nice big solid piers, with the conventional bridge only a few metres above the water, and none of this nonsense further down the estuary of a suspension bridge and catenary structures.

See being an engineer and understanding the risk, - pure deid dangerous, so it is, but!!

Davie

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:41 am

Right! Noo this’z mah final wurd oan iss! Yeez urr really getting mah dander up so yeez urr!

If yir wirr gonnae show a picture eh a pyramid tae tae convae eh essence eh Egypt, ye don’t go an show the wee wan thit 4 year auld Ahmed built roon eh back eh the bazzar wae eez lego bricks dae ye? Naw, ye show the big yin at Geeza daint ye? Eh wan built bae eh Ferroaes innat! En evribiddy knows whit yir tryin tae say, unnerstauns like, know whit ah mean;

‘Ah rerrs aht big Gezza pyramid’ they’ll aw say ‘must bae Egypt’. Nae problem.

Same wae oor country;

‘Aw rerrs aht Forth Bridge, must bae Scoatlin!’

But if you lot want tae throw a plank a wid ower a burn an call it a bridge – en aht’s up tae yooz!

Bob. (Defender eh the Bridge [the REAL wan])

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:29 am

Keep your hair on Bob :lol:
I've sent him one of the bridge :D and some older ones.....
Wilma

DavidWW

Re: Bridges

Post by DavidWW » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:43 am

mesklin wrote:... an whit's wrang wi the wan at Buchanan Street Station. Wis that no kent as 'The Hielandman's Hotel'?

Dave
Do you mean Glasgow Central and the Hielanman's umberella :?:

Davie

and that isn't a spell check failure, - that's the way it's said.
dww

mesklin

Post by mesklin » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:06 pm

Davie

That's the wan! Knew ah'd read aboot it years ago, but couldn't quite place it. Where aw the folk fae the Hielans yaised tae meet. Seein as the West Highland Way starts jist up the road, it maks Glesca the southernmost Heilan toon!

Dave

Laura

Buchanan Street Hotel

Post by Laura » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:53 am

All this talk about Buchanan got me thinking. Would anyone know where I might find information about 282 Buchanan Street Hotel, as listed in the 1881 Scotland Census, Barony, Lanark 644/6?

Regards,
Laura

DavidWW

Re: Buchanan Street Hotel

Post by DavidWW » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:31 am

Laura wrote:All this talk about Buchanan got me thinking. Would anyone know where I might find information about 282 Buchanan Street Hotel, as listed in the 1881 Scotland Census, Barony, Lanark 644/6?

Regards,
Laura
This could be it, if the street has been renumbered........

http://www.city-visitor.com/hotels/glas ... hotel.html

Davie

m

Moonwatcher

The Buchanan Hotel

Post by Moonwatcher » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:03 am

That's the one. The Buchanan Hotel. It sits at the top end of Buchanan St on the slope of the hill. It has survived extensive redevelopment of the area around it (The Buchanan Galleries shopping mall) Right across from it used to be an old antique shop (now gone). Outside that shop and across from the hotel was the bus stop where I caught my bus home for many years. Many's the night I stood there in pouring rain waiting for the bus and staring alternately between the antiques in the shop window and the hotel frontage. That frontage is emblazoned in my memory.

Bob.