Seamore Street, Glasgow.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

annpa

Seamore Street, Glasgow.....

Post by annpa » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:10 pm

hi
Does anyone know where Seamore Street in Glasgow was?
The censuses have it in Kelvin, but how big an area was that?
My relations lived there from their marriage in 1897 until her death in 1954. But I can't find it on a map of Glasgow, and it's not in the Glasgow City Guides lists of streets. I thought it might be Seymour, but every certificate says Seamore.
Would be grateful if anyone could help. Thanks
Annpa
[size=75] Annpa Fincher seeking
[b]FARQUHAR[/b] Paisley, Glenlivet;
[b]CASEY, CRAMPSEY, KELLY, CROSSAN[/b] Glasgow, Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire;
[b]SPARKS[/b] Inverness-shire, Glasgow, Norwich;
[b]MATHESON[/b] Banff, Ross[/size]

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:35 pm

Hi Anna

Like you ive only found Seymour Street, Crossmyloof which is now Waverley Street, S1 on
http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged3.html

Baring in mind my geographical skills or lack of them :!:

Tracey

Google does bring back Seamore Street though ? havnt looked through them to see if there are any maps

m
Last edited by Tracey on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi Annpa

Not a trace of "Seamore" in Susan Miller's standard works on Glasgow addresses.

There is a "Seymour" but it was a long way from Kelvin, in Crossmyloof...

Can you post a copy of the marriage register entry in the Gallery so that others can have a look at the address?

David

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:52 pm

A company on a google had Seamore Street Glasgow Lanarkshire had a link to a map
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi? ... apsize=big

So it should be on here somewhere :? !

I have seen dates for this street from 1925 up to now so...........

m
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Peculiar, - I'm beginning to wonder if that's an area in which there's been post WWII new build ..........

David

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Seamore street was alive and well in the 1980's and in either North Kelvinside or Woodside district.

According to Multi-map it still is : http://www.multimap.com

enter " Seamore Street Glasgow " and it should appear.

A few streets north of where Maryhill Road and Great Western Road meet.
[ Woodside and Burnbank are some street names nearby, if your map is like mine and has Seamore Street on the fold :roll: ]

In 1913 the map says that it's off New City Road [ presumably the present Maryhill Road?]

m
Wilma

annpa

Post by annpa » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:13 pm

thanks all
It didn't ocur to me to try the modern multimap. I knew that Seamore Street was still in existence in 1954, but a lot might have happened since then.
Multimap seems to suggest that it still exists between Great Western Road and Maryhill Road.
Thanks to all again. This is the most helpful and friendly site I have come across in all my online genealogy years. I am most grateful.
Annpa
[size=75] Annpa Fincher seeking
[b]FARQUHAR[/b] Paisley, Glenlivet;
[b]CASEY, CRAMPSEY, KELLY, CROSSAN[/b] Glasgow, Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire;
[b]SPARKS[/b] Inverness-shire, Glasgow, Norwich;
[b]MATHESON[/b] Banff, Ross[/size]

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:36 pm

Hi Anna

Seamore Street was just off Maryhill Road not far away from North Woodside Road. There was also a cinema called The Seamore (we called it the flea pit) on the corner of Seamore Street and Maryhill Road. The cinema has long gone and there has been quite a dramatic change in that area so the Street may have been renamed or it might even still be there but trying to visualise it at the moment I can't picture it as still being there. Next time I'm down there I'll have a look. I'll need to go down soon as I promised Nina I would check out Windsor Street for her but any time I've been that way I have forgetten or I get side tracked - sorry Nina :oops:

Cheers

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

pwm437

Post by pwm437 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:27 am

The proper description of the whereabouts of Seamore Street, from Kelly's Directory of 1948 is from 215 Maryhill Road to 44 Napiershall Street

Davie

Post by Davie » Sun May 06, 2007 8:35 am

Hi
Ah'll be up in far north next week, tae take a few pics o' Firhill furr an auld Jags fan.
So if oanywan wid like oany frae the surrounding area, jist let me know afore Wednesday.
I have the Glasgow PO directory for 1954 in front of me at the moment and it has several families in Seamore Street listed on it
Also a firm of Coffin manufactures at number 27
Ah wunner how many times they had weans gawn in askin'
"Huv ye oany empty boaxes furr wurr bonfire mister?"

Awrabest
Davie