A History of Scotland

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Rab

A History of Scotland

Post by Rab » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for a book about Scottish History which once identified I hope to purchase. That will all be dependant on on how intense negotiations pan out with the treasuary for the relase of funds- otherwise known as begging my wife.

What I am looking for is a concise history of Scotland which spans from at least the medieval period onwards. At the moment after searching I have my eye on Scotland: A new history by Michael Lynch. That seems to be what I am looking for. If anyone though has read anything that they think better fits the bill then please let me know.

Thanks

Rab
[b][i]Researching...[/i][/b]
[color=darkred]Marr, McCann, Parker, Kennedy, Sharp, Connor, Robinson, Russell, Drummond and a few others.[/color]

Pandabean

Post by Pandabean » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:30 pm

One book that i have is A History of Scotland that was published in the 1860s. It is in Tales of a Grandfather by Sir Walter Scott. Seems quite interesting and informative. Plus it is closer to the time when the events happened which I suppose is a bonus. I only have volume 2 but it explains the Glencoe Massacre and the Failed Darien Expedition as well as much more.
Andy
[size=75]
[b]McDonald[/b]
[b]Greenlees & Fairnie[/b] (Musselburgh area)
[b]Johnston, Whitson, Whitecross, Runciman [/b] (Haddingtonshire)
[b]Rutherford [/b](Dumbartonshire, Airth & Larbert)
[b]Ross, Stevenson & Robb[/b](Falkirk)[/size]

Rab

Post by Rab » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:43 pm

Pandabean wrote:One book that i have is A History of Scotland that was published in the 1860s. It is in Tales of a Grandfather by Sir Walter Scott. Seems quite interesting and informative. Plus it is closer to the time when the events happened which I suppose is a bonus. I only have volume 2 but it explains the Glencoe Massacre and the Failed Darien Expedition as well as much more.
One of the books I was looking at this morning was the one by Magnus Magnusson who uses Tales of a Grandfather as a starting point. That's a book I fancy getting later because it's too far on to be honest and would prefer something from before the unification of the Picts and Scots.
[color=darkred]Marr, McCann, Parker, Kennedy, Sharp, Connor, Robinson, Russell, Drummond and a few others.[/color]

Maisie

Post by Maisie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:03 pm

When I was a very wee thing I enjoyed "A History of Scotland" by JD Mackie, bought for my Modern History degree course. The edition I have was published 1964 and revised in 1970 and cost the princely sum of 40p, but Amazon has a 1991 revision by Bruce Lenman for less than a tenner.

Maisie

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:30 pm

The Michael Lynch book is better than many.

David

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi Rab
My favourite (of those I've read) is Rosalind Mitchison's " A History of Scotland". It was an enjoyable read.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Scotlan ... 967&sr=8-2
- you can read a small selection of it which gives an idea of the style and tone.
I would have to confess to starting on several books and just running out of steama and/or interest... some are very academic and although I'm sure they are full of good things, they just don't quite do it for me.

I've not read the Michael Lynch one, so I don't know how they compare - the description makes it sound like a good read too.

Best wishes
Lesley

Rab

Post by Rab » Tue May 01, 2007 5:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them all a look before I buy. It looks like I'll have plenty of time make my mind up as the very mention of the book saw the purse strings pulled so quickly they nearly took my fingers off. :)

@LesleyB- I know what you mean about keeping interested. I'm reading a great book at the moment called "Europe: A history" by Norman Davies which is a one volume 1300 page history of Europe. A really good read and not too taxing but it's taking me a while to get through. Every so often I put it down for a while and read something a bit shorter before going back to it.

Davie

Post by Davie » Fri May 04, 2007 12:41 am

Hi Rab
Wher ur ye based?
Ah huv three copies o Michael Lynch's tome.
He's no ma cup o' porridge
Yer mer than welcome tae a copy.
It's a paperback
Davie

Rab

Post by Rab » Fri May 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Davie wrote:Hi Rab
Wher ur ye based?
Ah huv three copies o Michael Lynch's tome.
He's no ma cup o' porridge
Yer mer than welcome tae a copy.
It's a paperback
Davie
Hi Davie,

3 copies, are you collecting them? :D

I'll send you a PM. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Rab.

Thrall

Post by Thrall » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:38 am

Rab wrote:One of the books I was looking at this morning was the one by Magnus Magnusson who uses Tales of a Grandfather as a starting point. That's a book I fancy getting later because it's too far on to be honest and would prefer something from before the unification of the Picts and Scots.
Hi Rab, how did you get on with Magnus Magnusson's book?

I have just finished it and am, for the most part, very impressed - and much enlightened.
The way M.M. combines formal handing on of information with references to similar modern situations, poking fun with some media-hype makes it all most enjoyable.
But then, with the death of Walter Scott in 1832, there is only a sketch of Scottish nationalistic trials and tribulations up to present times. Not a mention of the development of canals, railways, Queen Victoria etc.
Adopting Scott's "Tales of a Grandfather" is a brilliant move, but the coda is missing.
Am I being unrealistic, or is there something absent?
As a fellow countryman, I am an most ardent admirer, but has anyone else this feeling?
Just had to get it off my chest, any comments out there?

Guid hunting,

Thrall