Rashfield Farm

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Christrina

Post by Christrina » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:26 pm

AnneM wrote:On the subject of Rebecca, in 1881 she is in Bothwell in Lanarkshire, a visitor in the house of Ann McDonald aged 44 an annuitant.

She seems to get married in 1886 to a Robert Templeton giving her parents as William Stirling farmer (deceased) and Mary m.s Killop (deceased). She gives her age as 27 :roll: :roll:

On the subsequent census her ages are slightly more accurate. However it seems that she dies aged 77!! on 12th June 1936 in Glasgow and her parents are given as William Stirling and Mary McKillop both deceased.

Anne
Wow Anne well done.... your just magic thank you thank you.... Don should be on his way home again now and he will get a wonderful surprise when he see's all this....

Thank you again
Chris
Researching: Frater, McKillop, Davies, Gurr,Card, Glover, Williams, Flook, McColl, Hay, Rapley...

Christrina

Post by Christrina » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:41 am

Don & Anne,

Anne above you said that Rebecca was in the 1881 census, with Ann MacDonald.... Peter McKillop and Janet McArthur had 8 children that we now of, one of which was a Ann McKillop.... just on the off chance that this Ann MacDonald you found Rebecca with, I thought may be an Aunt.. In which Don or I had done no research on at all as yet.

So I went and had a look for the birth of Alexander MacDonald who was also listed on that 1881 census as the son of Ann... And guess what I found ..... Alexander born 21 Jan 1859 Parents William MacDonald and Ann McKellop.... I couldnt find them on the 1871 Census, but found them on the 1861 Census William head Ann wife Jessie daughter and son Alexander. So again Anne well done and a Big Thank You, we have now opened up another line for our research.

Christine
Researching: Frater, McKillop, Davies, Gurr,Card, Glover, Williams, Flook, McColl, Hay, Rapley...

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:25 pm

Hi

I take it you have got Mary McKillop/McEachern's death aged 52 in 1880 in Oban. It makes no mention of any previous marriages for her. Her husband Donald is the informant and it seems that her mother is still alive at that stage.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:06 pm

So what have we here altogether:

Mary McKillop daughter of Peter McKillop and Janet McArthur was born in Argyll on 10th September 1827. She had to our knowledge sisters Ann and Margaret. Indeed from the 1841 census she appears to have another sister Flora and brothers Archibald, Alexander and Duncan.

Mary seems to marry William Stirling in 1850 in Glasgow and they have a daughter Rebecca in 1851 who is born in Kirkintilloch. I would guess that William dies shortly thereafter. Rebecca can also be traced through her marriage to her death. As she turns up with the family I think this is the same Mary McKillop otherwise I might have some doubts.

In 1858 to 1860 the child who usually appears as Mary McColl is born. no trace can be found of her birth at present but we have found her in all the censuses her marriage and death.

Mary then marries Donald McEachren or variants thereof in Oban in 1860 and they have several children including Archibald and Peter who was born in Oban on 5th October 1872.

He can be found in the censuses and then in 1893 he marries Mary Flora MacPherson from South Uist in Rashfield. Kilmun. They have a son Donald in 1894 in Dunoon. What happens thereafter is a bit in doubt. Don's family story is that Peter dies and is buried in Dunoon but there is no death which matches.

However a Peter McKechnie giving the same parents and who appears in the 1901 census as born in Oban at about the right time marries a Margaret Thomson in Alloa in 1896. They go on to have several children and then emigrate to New York in 1811 (we have the passenger lists). Peter is still in NY in 1918 (draft registration) and they appear on the 1920 Census in Queens. Thereafter they disappear again, possibly having moved on to Canada or Australia or all being wiped out in an epidemic of something. This may or may not be the same Peter who married Mary Flora.

Donald the son of Peter and Mary Flora is on South Uist in 1901 with his uncle Donald and auntie Flora. Mary Flora can't be found at the moment.

He goes on to work as a psychiatric nurse, get married etc in Glasgow while MF dies in Benbecula. Her DC states that she is the widow of Peter McKechnie/McEachern or whatever version was given at the time.

Is this a fair summing up? Now I will go and leave Christine and Don in peace with their ancestors having dug up and shook around too many of them!!

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:47 pm

Hi Anne, again a Very big Thank you for all the work you have done, I agree with your summary though will continue to look for Peter in both the hospital records and those in the States and Canada so I can finally let him rest, just thinking that I will need to get another research tool apart from Scotlands People and hopefully get myself up into the places were they lived and died to look around especially the Isle of Mull where they seemed to have originated from or at least where I can get back to, so far anyways, again Thank You Anne.
RESEARCHING MCEACHERN/MACKECHNIE AND VARIANTS-MULL,OBAN.MCKINNON-MULL, MACARTHUR-KILCHATTAN, MACKILLOP-KILMORE & KILBRIDE
MACPHERSON,MACPHEE,MACDONALD,MACMILLAN,MACINNES, MACAULAY,WILSON,ALL BENBECULA .
MACPHERSON, MACPHEE AND CAMPBELL - SOUTH UIST.

Christrina

Post by Christrina » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:31 pm

Yes, Anne you did a great job at shaking all these relations about. Thank you so much for all your help. Could not of done it without you.

A Big Thank You Anne..

Christine

Kat55

Re: Rashfield Farm

Post by Kat55 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:46 pm

Found living McKechnie relatives in USA. They are cousins I found through DNA on FamilyTree.com. They are grand daughter, great grand daughter and great great grandson of Peter McKillop McKechnie and Margaret Thompson.
Let me know if you are still interested.....Kathy