Who knows their Aberdeen?

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

searcher 52

Post by searcher 52 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Can anyone tell me if 55 Queens Drive, Aberdeen was a maternity hospital. It is mentioned on a relative's birth certificate in 1942 but another "usual residence" is also stated?

Andrew

JanetB

Post by JanetB » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:07 pm

I'm not sure that there is or was a Queen's Drive in Aberdeen. My sister was born in a nursing home on Queen's Road in the 1950s but I don't think it was number 55, more like 35.

Regards

Janet
Researching
PORTER, ROBERTSON, BRUCE,LEIGHTON,STEPHEN,Aberdeenshire
CLARK,East Lothian
CALDER, SMELLIE, Lanarkshire
RUST, WEBSTER, GARVIE, Kincardineshire

Susan

Post by Susan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi

The premises at 55-57 Queens Road Aberdeen were taken over by the Hamilton School 10 years ago as an extension to their other premises at 80-84 Queens Road, my daughter was at that school at the time. Grampian Health Board had some Finance Offices there in the 1970/1980s, I worked at their other premises, a couple of hundred yards down the road a wee bit at Queens Gate.
Queens Cross Maternity home (where I was born) was just a bit further down the road again - at 70 Carden Place which is at Queens Cross - a large junction where Queens Road, St Swithin's Street, Albyn Place, Carden Place and Fountainhall Road all meet.

Not heard of a Queens Drive, though there are 2 Queen Streets, one in Woodside and the other in the town centre beside Marischal College, the courts and police headquarters.

What was given as the usual residence on the birth certificate ?

Susan.

jyajya

Re: Who knows their Aberdeen?

Post by jyajya » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:56 pm

I was born at 55 Queens Road in April 1943. It was a private nursing home (it was pre NHS) called the Rubislaw Nursing Home. My mother was attended by a midwife and our GP, Dr Maxwell Gibb who lived on the other side of Queens Road. Usual residence was the parents' home address.

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:48 am

Hello jyajya, and welcome to TalkingScot.

The place seems to be about here among these imposing edifices. I can’t see any numbers but it could be the one with the gents in white shirts. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=57 ... 2,,0,11.68

All the best,
Alan

srobp

Post by srobp » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi

55 Queens Road, which has been incorporated into the Hamilton School, is the pink granite building seen behind the right hand entrance to the Hamilton School. This was my first place of employment when I left school. It was at that time used as a Department of Water Services office.

SROBP

rob41

Post by rob41 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:45 pm

After a short delay, I can confirm that 55 Queen's Road Aberdeen was formall Rubislaw Nursing Home which also served as a maternity home. I was born there in 1941, Dr Gibb officiating! I hope you get to see this.
Rob W