Farquhar Family research

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Weedodger

Farquhar Family research

Post by Weedodger » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:07 pm

hi Everybody
Has anybody any information on the Farquhar, originally from Loanhead Lasswade I have quite a bit so far But I am having a wee bit of bother with Katherine Kinloch around 1700 , so if there is any infop I would be grateful
twocats

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi Weedodger,

A warm welcome to [talkingscot] [scotland-flag]

I think you'll find that some very creative use of wildcards on Scotlands People might just turn up some of your Farquhar folk whose name was spelled in ways you'd probably never have thought of.

The people who recorded these things simply wrote down what they heard using their own interpretation and, since most ordinary folk were mainly illiterate then, no-one was likely to correct them.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:21 pm

Hi Weedodger
...and welcome to Talking Scot :D
Katherine Kinloch around 1700
Can you tell us a little more about her - just what you already know. Is 1700 likely to be when she was born? Not quite sure what her connection to Farquhar is - did she marry a Farquhar?

Also, if you can also give us some idea of where you have looked already, that helps us to help you!

Best wishes
Lesley

Weedodger

Post by Weedodger » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:16 am

hi Lesley , Thanks for the welcome and yes it was ab1715 is the only date I have regarding Katherine Kinloch, she married a Farquhar, I can dig his name up from somewhere , and they had quite a large family , I have other links that go further back but am unable to confim these until I can verify Kathrine as my definite ancestor, this info came from the LDS site , so without confirmation I am not too sure . I am Disabled and find it difficult to get to the centres that could help me , so I am hoping that there are other Farquhars looking ,or some one in the same line not necessaraly Farquhar . I already have the following names in my family tree , McNallyor a variation of it , McDowell, Morgan, Johnston,Bradley, Graham, Thompson,McLinden,a lot of these are from my Irish ancestry,there are also Robertson , White Muir,, so I am grateful for all the help I can get, and thank you. Alex Farquhar :D
twocats

Weedodger

Post by Weedodger » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:24 am

Emanday ! thank you also for your welcome , and yes I am aware of the variations of the spelling much to my regret as it at one time cost me ages in time and the Name I was looking for was McDowell it eventually transpired that I should have been looking for McDoll, so I do appreciate you keeping me right because lets face it you sometimes forget. Alex. :D
twocats

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:57 am

Just a comment about my city and the spelling of Farquhar, etc.

We have a street by that name which is broken by a major (well for our city, anyway) east-west thoroughfare. Several years ago, the city realized that the upper portion of the street and the lower portion of the street signs were spelled differently.

So that led to quite some discussion, because the street had been named after a pioneering Anglican Bishop. There was also a chapel named in his honour - you guessed it - didn't match either spelling. :lol:

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:28 am

Brilliant Frances

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sums it up doesn't it :roll:

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Bertha

post subject

Post by Bertha » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi Weedodger.
Welcome to TS they are a very helpful bunch on here.
My husband is descended from Farquhars from Aberdeen. We contacted a guy called Malcolm MacDonald who has done a very comprehensive One Name Study on the Farquhar name, he can be contacted at
farquharATone-name.org
He has just about every Farquhar in the world going way back. He has all my husbands ancestors and some of those living today. However he does adhere to following only those with the name Farquhar so may not have anything on your Katherine Kinloch.
Coincidence, my husbands 2 x gr grandfather had a son called Alexander Farquhar born in Aberdeen around 1874.
Also, I have come across someone on the East Lothian board at Rootsweb many years ago who said he had information on Farquhars from Loanhead, you should maybe have a look on there.
We have a couple of other names in common, Roberson & White, mine were from Leith.
Good luck in your research
Bertha

Email address altered to avoid being harvested. Paddyscar
looking for
Nelson/Neilson,Wood,McDonald,Baillie - East Lothian
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:35 pm

hi Weedodger
There is a submission on IGI but it makes little sense:
  • Katherine Kinloch
    Female
    Event(s):
    Birth: About 1718 , Midlothian, Scotland
    Death: Before 1820
    Marriages:
    Spouse: James Farquhar Family
    Marriage: About 1723 :?: Of, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
    Seems a bit young! :lol:
IGI has the following children to a couple of those names, which you probably know about already (all extracts):
  • GEORGE FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 14 SEP 1725 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

ELIZABETH FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 28 FEB 1727 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

KATHERIN FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 02 OCT 1728 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

ANN FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Birth: 19 APR 1731 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

JEAN FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Birth: 29 JUN 1732 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

ALEXANDER FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Birth: 17 NOV 1733 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

JAMES FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Birth: 25 SEP 1735 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

DAVID FARQHUAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Birth: 06 NOV 1736 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

JOHN FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 12 APR 1738 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

MARY FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Birth: 21 AUG 1739 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

FRANCIS FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Birth: 13 MAR 1742 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

KINLOCH FARQUHAR - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 11 MAR 1746 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

If the above children are to the correct couple and if there were no other children (it woudl be difficult to imagine where she might have fitted more in!! :shock: ) then it it suggests her parents' names may have been Elizabeth & Alexander.
I'd be tempted to check out every one of those OPR entries, if you think they are the correct family, just incase there are any clues to be gleaned.

Best wishes
Lesley

Weedodger

Katherine Kinloch

Post by Weedodger » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi Lesley, this is the same info I got from LDS and like you I though she was a bit young or one of the dates is wrong somewhere , this is why I needed some confirmation on her and James Farquhar, thank you for this info , and as ususal I am finding Talking Scot is coming up trumps with people like yourself and the others to help us out .Alex
twocats