CHISHOLMS of Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

rsmacleod

CHISHOLMS of Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire

Post by rsmacleod » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:38 am

One ancestral line of my husband's were Chisholms from the Kiltarlity area of Inverness-shire.
In 2006, I employed a researcher who gave me details of a John Chisholm*, who was b. 1782 in Cluins, with siblings Thomas 1785, ---- 1788 and James 1791, and father Hugh Chisholm b, 1739. Think now that there must have been another tier in between Hugh and John.
(I have Hugh's father as John, (born early 17--'s) also from researcher - who gave me baptism records for Hugh and his siblings, born to original John.)
However, in later Censuses and John's* death in 1864 (age 71 yrs.) his birthdate would indicate 1796 or so, not 1782.
His other details I have found, are correct - marriage to Catherine Kennedy (b.1801 Glenco), and their children, all born in Kiltarlity, one of whom Barbara Chisholm was my husband's g.grandmother.
A new family contact (Grant) has informed me that original Hugh's father was a Donald, not John, and that the siblings I have for Hugh are not the right family. HELP!!!!! Ruth MacLeod, In Australia

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 am

Hi Ruth
I employed a researcher who gave me details of a John Chisholm*, who was b. 1782 in Cluins, with siblings Thomas 1785, ---- 1788 and James 1791, and father Hugh Chisholm b, 1739. Think now that there must have been another tier in between Hugh and John.
If John was born in 1782, that makes his possible father Hugh only in is early 40s at the time, so perfectly possible. Bit of a tight squeeze, though again not impossile, to fit another generation in there.
However, in later Censuses and John's* death in 1864 (age 71 yrs.) his birthdate would indicate 1796 or so, not 1782.
Stated ages often become inaccurate as time goes by, and age given at death can be way off...
A new family contact (Grant) has informed me that original Hugh's father was a Donald, not John, and that the siblings I have for Hugh are not the right family
I think you need to look at the sources for the events given you by the researcher and check those out. What sources is your family contact referring to? Can he tell you what his info is based on? Why do you think he is correct and the info you have is not? The only way to be sure is to check original souces and build what picture you can from the available original documentation.

Best wishes
Lesley

rsmacleod

Chisholms of Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire

Post by rsmacleod » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:50 am

Thanks for help. The original researcher found info. in Church Records. They were probably correct,as such, but feel now that the actual JOHN CHISHOLM she found was perhaps not the correct one - after all, it is a very common name in that area! Ruth :?

trish1

Re: Chisholms of Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire

Post by trish1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:29 am

rsmacleod wrote:Thanks for help. The original researcher found info. in Church Records. They were probably correct,as such, but feel now that the actual JOHN CHISHOLM she found was perhaps not the correct one - after all, it is a very common name in that area! Ruth :?
A few random thoughts

1841 Living in Kiltarlity

John Chisholm 45
Katerine 40
Hugh 15
Barbara 13
Margaret 8
Duncan 5
Christian (female) 3
Alexr 8mth

1851 Servant living in kirkhill
John Chisholm 56 - cattle feeder (may not be the right John)

Family without John at Easter Clunes Kiltarlity
Catherine 49 - listed as wife farm of 11 acres
Hugh 26
Barbara 29?
Janet 18
Margaret 16
Duncan 14
Christina 11
Alex 8
Cathrine 4

1861 Muir of Clunes Kiltarlity
John 65 crofter of 6 acres
Catherine 59
Hugh 36
Duncan 25
Alexander 18
Catherine 14

Everything including John's death points to a birth c.1794/6

From a recent experience of being contacted by a person (who turned out not to be related) I would think it quite possible that the researcher has found the wrong birth/baptism. In my situation the other person had research (from a researcher in Scotland) complete with baptisms and certificates but the person born in 1820s that the researcher had decided was the ancestor in question, was incorrect. Consequently the remaining research was incorrect & although the contact had some wonderful research on my family (which he kindly shared) it was not his family.

I wonder if the research selected the 1782 birth based on naming patterns - there is an Ann born to John and Catherine (who doesn't appear on the census with the family) and this would make Barbara the 2nd daughter. Do you have the name of wife Catherine's mother?

The records for Kiltarlity seem to be fairly complete on the IGI. Perhaps worth trying to separate the families.

There seem to be a number of Hugh Chisholm/ Various Fraser mothers births. Most of the records in the IGI batch have both a birth and baptism date - and also the name of the mother. The ones with father Hugh that do not have the birth date nor the mother are John 1795 William 1795 Mary 1896 Elspat 1798 Alexander 1798. The dates make one wonder if they are the same family - but there may have been some late baptisms. Checking these folks in the census and/or looking for deaths may help to determine if they are siblings. Perhaps looking at the parish register may give some idea as to why the mother is not mentioned on the baptism, when most in the parish have both parents and a birth date.

Trish

Edit: There is a marriage on the IGI that may/may not be relevant
HUGH CHISHOLM Spouse: JANET MACINTOSH
Marriage: 09 AUG 1793 Inverness, Inverness

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 am

There is the following on the IGI
HUGH CHISOLM Christening: 18 MAR 1756 Inverness, Inverness, Father: HUGH CHISOLM Mother: ELSPET MCINTOSH
which gives a name interest to the Elspet born 1798 - and also a Chisholm/McIntosh connection.

There are 2 other Hugh Chisholms on the IGI who are possible parents of John

Son of Thomas baptised 09 NOV 1765 Kiltarlity, Inverness but no sign of Thomas in family names

Son of Donald baptised 09 AUG 1773 Kiltarlity, Inverness - is this the one mentioned by your contact?

Trish

rsmacleod

Post by rsmacleod » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:13 am

I think the records I originally had back from John now are incorrect.
Correct John should probably be the one born 9.8.1795.
Have been told Hugh Ch. b. 9.8.1773 was this John's father with possible wife Barbara Fraser; Hugh's father was Donald b. 11.8.1751, his parents were William Chisholm/Cath.McDonell.
1841 Census: at 'Knocknords' (which I know was definitely the farm of John & Catherine Chisholm at Muir of Clunes, Kiltarlity): John 45, Katherine 40, Hugh 15, Barb. 13, (my husband's g.grandm.) Margaret 8 Duncan 5 , Christian 3, and Alex. 8 mths.
1861 Census: John 65, head, crofter 6 acres, Catherine 59, Hugh 36, Duncan 25, Alex 18, Catherine 14.
I had John's father as Hugh Chisholm b. 1739, which is too big a time lapse, I feel.
(Also living at Knocknords at time of 1841 Census were:
William Fraser b. 1801, wife Helen b. 1806. children Peter 1826, James 1826 (twin?), Colin 1829, Duncan 1832 and Isabella 1850.
Your comments re John as servant in Kirkhill in 1851 census could be correct. as he wasn't with family at Easter Clunes, Kiltarlity. Also, his daughter Barbara was married in 1852 to Murdoch McLeod, who was originally from Isle of Raasay but was living in Kirkhill in 1852 at time of his marriage. Her age shown as 29 is incorrect on Census, she was next in line to Hugh but would have been about 24 yrs.- rest of children shown are correct. I have been in touch also with "Chisholm Genealogies' site, who have found another Barbara Chisholm and I feel that my researcher may have got onto the wrong family, earlier than my John/Catherine. Parents of John's wife Catherine were Catherine Kennedy and Evan Kennedy of Glenco(e). Ruth