Ronald McDonald brick wall

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

bleckie

Ronald McDonald brick wall

Post by bleckie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi All

I am trying to finaliy lay a brick wall to bed I am searching my maternal line and have for a number of years been banging head against a wall. ](*,)

What I know for fact.

1841 census at Mailermore Comrie Perthshire Ronald and wife Elizabeth. Ronald's age on census looks like 56 or could be 50 and is listed as army pensioner.

Wife Elizabeth dies a pauper in Muthill, January 1864 a widow of Ronald Mcdonald old soldier. no sign of Ronald in 1851 or 1861 census. in the 1851 census Elizabeth is a widow on her death certificate it say's widow of Ronald McDonald army pensioner.

Son James dies 1895 and his father is listed as decd and occupation army pensioner one of his son's was also named Ronald and this family seems to have used the traditional scottish naming patern

I have been in touch with the national archives and have 4 Ronald McDonald's army records 2 I can rule out as 1 went to Ireland and the other moved to Forfar.

What I am trying to find is who Ronald's parents were.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Anne H
Global Moderator

Re: Ronald McDonald brick wall

Post by Anne H » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Bruce,
Did you get any further with the other two army pension records you mentioned?

Ronald dying between the 1841 and 1851 census isn't much help, is it? I suppose you already have Ronald and Elizabeth's marriage from SP and no wee hints as to father on that...sometimes you get lucky and at least a father is mentioned.

What was Elizabeth's maiden name? Normally when I'm stuck I try my luck with the naming pattern of the children but that isn't much help to you if you only have the one son, James for the couple.

Maybe bringing this up front again will bring a few more responses and ideas.

Regards,
Anne H

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi Anne

I am no further forward with this one.
Ronald's wife's maiden name was McNaughton and she like Ronald was reputedly born in Commrie Perthshire.
The early part of this family apears to be a mish mash.
I am begining to wonder if Ronald's wife followed him when he was serving as there seems to be a gap in the ages of the children born to this family.
I cannot find a Ronald Mc/MacDonald-Elizabeth McNaughton marriage on SP in the OPR's
even the naming pattern here does not seem to tie in with later generations will keep banging head on brick wall

Yours Aye
BruceL

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:23 am

Good morning all
I am still trying to put my McDonald brick wall to bed. ](*,)
Here is what I have,
1841 census Comrie Perthshire
Ronald McDonald aged 56 army pensioner died before 1851 census as his wife lists herself as a widow
Mrs McDonald aged 52 her maiden surname is McNaughton.
Helen aged15
John aged13
All the above born Comrie according to OPRs
Catherine McNab aged7

My Direct ancestor James born circa 1813 in Comrie I cannot find any birth records for him.
Married Isabella McEwan from Muthill in Blackford in 1843
His family are as follows:
Ronald McDonald born 1845
Ann Sharp McDonald born 1846
James McDonald born 1855
John McDonald born 1855
McDonald McDonald born 1857 still birth
Janet McDonald born 1864
All the above were born in Muthill James and Isabella remained in Muthill until they died.
My question is could Ronald and Donald be mistranscibed as thi family spoke Gaelic as well as english and his son Ronald called himself Donald on some records.
All the future generations of this family seem to follow the traditonal scottish naming patern.

Yours Aye
BruceL

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:04 pm

I have found James's oldest son Ronald's grandson still cannot find any birth records for him but I have found his militry records.
Below is a copy of his Attestation Papers. I did begin to thnk that this family did not exist but there again I would not be here.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

http://s970.photobucket.com/albums/ae18 ... onald2.jpg

Yours Aye
BruceL

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi All
While searching the internet I came accross the following
to Ronald McDonald; before these Witnesses, Alexr. Mcdonald, .... Muthill in Perthshire. I baptized a son named William, to the Rev. ...
this would aopear to be from the Episcopalian register at Leith fron sept 18th 1741
does anyone know how to get access.
Yours Aye
BruceL

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi Bruce,

Looks like you'll be needing a trip to NAS in Edinburgh to see record set CH12/1/10.

CH12/1: Leith, St James's Episcopal Church, Constitution Street
CH12/1/10: Mr William Law's register of baptisms 1733-1761

See http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/
I searched with Leith and Episcopal in the top search box.

All the best,

AndrewP

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi Andrew
Thank you for that
Yours Aye
BruceL