Terrim

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

miss scrappy

Terrim

Post by miss scrappy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:47 am

I am researching a lady by the name of Isabel Tirrim born in 1766 and her Father was William Tirrim born 1737.The surname Tirrim is a mystery as both she and her father were born in Kilpatrick that we know of. I am wanting to know where the surname may have originated from. Is it a scottish surname or from some other part of the world?.Or is there someone out there who is decended form the same lady who may have more info on her Thanks

LesleyB

Re: Terrim

Post by LesleyB » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:46 am

Hi Miss Scrappy
...and welcome to [talkingscot]

I'm not seeing a mention of that surname in "The Surnames of Scotland" by George F Black, which would suggest it is not of Scots origin on the surface. But back in the 1700s names were subject to vary varied spelling, so it may be a variation on a similar surname... e.g on the entry in the IGI we have:
ISOBALL TIRRIM
Event(s):
Christening:
20 APR 1766 New Kilpatrick, Dunbarton, Scotland
Parents:
Father: WILLIAM TIRRIM
Mother: AGNES MAIKLOM
- I reckon here that the surname of the mother might be a variation on Meiklam or even Malcolm at a stretch. How does the Tirrim surname appear in later years? Or does your Isbael marry and that is the last mention you see of her surname? Were there any other children you know of to William & Agnes and is the name spelt the same in every OPR entry? Can I ask where you have seen the name written - original records, or on the internet?

A quick surname search on SP suggests that it is either a very rare surname, or possibly just a speilling variation of something else:
Old Parish Records Births & Christenings 1538 - 1854 15 matches (these are all in Dunbarton)
Old Parish Records Banns & Marriages 1538 - 1854 11 matches (these are also all in Dunbarton)
- but there appear to be none at all in the census data, which may again suggest a spelling variation.

Best wishes
Lesley

momat

Post by momat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:09 am

Hi Lesley
There is quire a bit of information on a CASTLE TIRRIM if you google.
Could be the origin of the surname .
Maureen

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Maureen
Well that certainly sounds like a good possibilty. I'd not heard of Castle Tirrim before. I see it too seems to have a spelling variation or two :roll: :
Castle Tirrim (Tioram, Truim), Loch Moidart
http://special.st-andrews.ac.uk/saspeci ... y&w=tirrim

Best wishes
Lesley

RobbyB

Post by RobbyB » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 am

About Tirrim. Its been 8 years since these postings but I am new to this Forum.
I have ancestors who lived in Old and New Kilpatrick during the late 18th Century to early 19th Century.
In 1842 a John Term (my GG grandfather) married a Margaret (my GG grandmother) It is quite possible that Margaret herself may well have been a granddaughter of a female (nee Margaret Tirm ) married to a Meiklejohn in Kilpatrick; Margaret if baptised in 1771 was probably the daughter of a William Tirrim.
If the preceding ideas are correct then
1. Margaret (my GG grandmother) married John Term who was probably some cousin or 2nd cousin (?).
2. Alternatives for Tirrim seem to be Tirm or Term.
Note there are a number of Tirrims (from Old or New) Kilpatrick in the ScotlandsPeople records.

Robby B (Australia)

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Hello RobbyB and [TS_welcome]

The original poster has not been on the forum since April 2010, but I'm sure your information will be valuable for the next person searching those names! Thanks for your contribution and best of luck researching this family - it sounds like you have been working on an interesting puzzle :)

Best wishes,
Sarah